SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The End Of The BHP
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The End Of The BHP Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's an old insurance photo of a MkIIIS produced in 1995. The finish is enamel over phosphate. I purchased this pistol December 31st, 1999, shortly after hearing the news (on the new-fangled intarweb) that the High Power was going to be discontinued.
The pistol wears a set of Craig Spegel delrin grip panels, and they make the pistol feel elegantly slim.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107488 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
that's a beauty, love the dark black finish!!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:
Originally posted by mew:
I love the BHP!!

Can you please tell me about that pistol? I saw one for sale locally that looked like that, although I didn't see it in person. I thought it was beautiful, but I missed it by a day. It was described as nickel, and it had the gold trigger. I'm a newbie to Hi Powers, but when I try to search for a nickel Hi Power all I find are the silver chrome guns that look like an aluminum color to me.

It's a nicely executed piece, but the sights, safety, grips and slide stop/release are all aftermarket additions/gunsmithing, as is the finish.

Best, Jon

Posts: 995 | Location: Auburn, WA USA | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
after researching it I found they made this polished nickel for 80-81 models. its an easy google search. but you are correct I had the sights, safety and slide stop(cylinder&slide) modified by a local smith for better ergo's. I don't collect so it made sense to make it better for me to use. I have $500 in this pistol.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you don't appreciate the High Power, there are plenty of us who do. "Meh"? About the FN Hgh Power? Too funny, your Royal Highness. The fact that it survives to this day as a viable defensive handgun is a testament to one of the finest pistols ever designed.

Oh, crappy this, outdated that harumph harumph. Sure, you bet. Let me go grab a Leica rangefinder so you can tell us what's wrong with the design.

Right on the mark, Parabellum...I'd gladly part with a piece of my anatomy to get back the one I carried for 9 long months in S. Vietnam. Trenches, cockpits, roadside ditches, one tank when I was confused as to who was paying my per diem...that old BHP was never, NEVER, more than an arm's reach away. You young guys are missing a bet by passing one up.

YMMV (but if it does, I'd opine that you're new to the road!)....Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I am reading the Browning has shipped its last Hi Power. The last shipment into the distribution channel was in March of 2017. The tooling at FN needs to be replaced and with the sunsetting of the military contracts for the BHP FN is not willing to reinvest.

This is being reported by someone who knows the director of trade shows and and media relations at Browning. I personally cannot confirm it but it seems to match up with the time frame Ayoob was talking about in the article.

Sad to see the old war horse discontinued but with a heavy supply in the used market I believe that there will be plenty of BHPs for those that appreciate them for a long time.

Posts: 413 | Registered: July 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rodfac:

Right on the mark, Parabellum...I'd gladly part with a piece of my anatomy to get back the one I carried for 9 long months in S. Vietnam. Trenches, cockpits, roadside ditches, one tank when I was confused as to who was paying my per diem...that old BHP was never, NEVER, more than an arm's reach away. You young guys are missing a bet by passing one up.

YMMV (but if it does, I'd opine that you're new to the road!)....Rod

Based on what I've read, it seems that HPs were quite popular with FACs.

If you haven't already, you need to pick yourself up another one.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
First pistol I ever owned. Bought it new in 1963 (I was 18 at the time) for $80 and $5 more for an extra magazine. Shot and carried it for many years. In those days one could get a paper bag full of surplus 9mm foreign military for $4-$5 at a gun show (usually 1200-1500 rounds) so at least once a month either me or a buddy would get a couple sacks and we would shoot it in one or two sessions. I still shoot the old war horse and carry it occasionally.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost 30 years of playing around with guns, and so far the ONLY gun I regret selling! Took me a while to get another one. Happy I did, but it aint the one I sold!

I will be upset if this is truly the end of the line. Talk about a phenomenal pistol! Ranks right up there with a 1911.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post