SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The End Of The BHP
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The End Of The BHP Login/Join 
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I have been toying with the idea of getting one of the Nighthawk BHP's, buyt they still have the crappy safety, extractor and slide release. I also think the beaver tail of the NH version is too long/big.

For the cost of a Nighthawk, I think you'd be better served finding a nice used one and sending it to a Yost, Garthwaite, Williams, etc. and have it done exactly the way you want.

quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Funny, I just got my MKII back from The Action Works yesterday.

I just spoke to Don yesterday and my MKIII is close to being finished. Got another waiting to go out to him, once I receive my .30 Luger barrel from Bar-Sto.

Got any pics??

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcphoenix:
I had a BHP for a while and it was ... meh. Expensive, lousy trigger, mag disconnect, hammer bite.

I sold it...and haven't looked back.

Exactly. BHP has been long in the tooth for many years. Time moves forward, but the BHP hasn't.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by bcphoenix:
I had a BHP for a while and it was ... meh. Expensive, lousy trigger, mag disconnect, hammer bite.

I sold it...and haven't looked back.

Exactly. BHP has been long in the tooth for many years. Time moves forward, but the BHP hasn't.

And if you mention upgrades , as I have in the past, you will get lambasted by diehard old timey Hi Power fans.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you don't appreciate the High Power, there are plenty of us who do. "Meh"? About the FN Hgh Power? Too funny, your Royal Highness. The fact that it survives to this day as a viable defensive handgun is a testament to one of the finest pistols ever designed.

Oh, crappy this, outdated that harumph harumph. Sure, you bet. Let me go grab a Leica rangefinder so you can tell us what's wrong with the design.

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Almost nothing points better than a 9mm BHP.

Is it ideal from the factory? No. My ideal BHP would be an alloy framed (yes, they made them) MKII so I wouldn't have to deal with the drop safety, with the mag disconnect removed, the slide to frame fit as tight as possible with the trigger, sear & hammer components polished. I'd replace the safety with one of the better aftermarket ones, and put a fiber optic/tritium front sight on it. And just for shits and grins, I'd have the "thumbprint" milled into the slide, just because it looks cool. A pair of Spegel grips to top it all off.

Hmm, looks like I now have a new project for my next gun.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This may be a little convoluted but bear with me. On a recent road trip passing through Ponca City, OK I was looking for a Bar B Que joint located on highway 177 only to find the location is now occupied by Cowboy Gun and Pawn. Stopped in to ask about Danny Heads old place. Long story short, these guys are producing some custom Brownings that are worth looking at. Priced out of my comfort zone as a confirmed Sigaholic,these pistols are still impressive.
Point being,the BHP is not dead, at least not in Oklahoma.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 106 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: July 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's my favorite 9mm. They always need a little trigger work, but I can't imagine finding fault with this classic.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite 9mm pistols and I'm glad I have a few to play with! Sad to hear production has ceased. As has been mentioned, the HP has been "discontinued" before so maybe the announcement has been made again to boost sales? Who knows. I always wished the original Belgian High Power had been made in a shortened version (like the one from Argentina), as well as an all stainless steel model.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Add your P7 Boss and you've got a grand slam.
The HP and the Ruger MkII are two of the most comfortable pointing guns I've shot.

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
quote:

That photo makes me want to order a Hi Power. What model is it? I don't know much about them.

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's a 245 Sport Model, produced in 1990, the last of the forged frames. I've owned this pistol since 1994 and its performance has been flawless.

A true disadvantage of the FN High Power is its inability to handle +P loads. It used to be that if you wanted to get real performance out of the 9x19mm, you needed to make the bullets go as fast as possible, and if you fed a High Power a steady diet of +P, you'd roll the locking lugs, or do worse. However, these days, 9mm hollowpoints have been developed to the point of giving superb performance at standard velocities. If I were to keep a High Power at the ready, I'd load it with Federal HST 124 grain standard velocity ammunition and I wouldn't give a thought to being undergunned.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful Photo Boss!

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a 245 Sport Model, produced in 1990, the last of the forged frames. I've owned this pistol since 1994 and its performance has been flawless.

A true disadvantage of the FN High Power is its inability to handle +P loads. It used to be that if you wanted to get real performance out of the 9x19mm, you needed to make the bullets go as fast as possible, and if you fed a High Power a steady diet of +P, you'd roll the locking lugs, or do worse. However, these days, 9mm hollowpoints have been developed to the point of giving superb performance at standard velocities. If I were to keep a High Power at the ready, I'd load it with Federal HST 124 grain standard velocity ammunition and I wouldn't give a thought to being undergunned.

A .40 caliber Hipower with a 9mm conversion barrel should handle +p loads all day long. If If I remember correctly aside from the stronger cast frame the .40s have (and most Mark III's), the .40's slide is a touch thicker and the barrel has 3 locking lugs instead of 2 with the 9mm.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As most know, HP was made in several places over a long time period. Have one made in Canada and most interesting is one brand new made in India on what almost certainly is the Canadian machinery. Apparently, India needed dollars and sold what I think was about 500 of their HP service pistol in US. Mind, the outside of the Indian is rough, markings are engraved (I think) and the sights are a fixed part of slide. However, it is an HP.

HP points well, but the new M&P M2.0 is a better pointer, and cost less.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
We do know Mr.Camp took the Hi Power to the next level, and enlightened us to Hi Power lore.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
A .40 caliber Hipower with a 9mm conversion barrel should handle +p loads all day long. If If I remember correctly aside from the stronger cast frame the .40s have (and most Mark III's), the .40's slide is a touch thicker and the barrel has 3 locking lugs instead of 2 with the 9mm.

This is the way to go. I'm having a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel fitted amongst other mods on the HP I currently have at The Action Works.

While I don't usually run +p, but, it's nice to know that it'll be able to handle it without issue.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
I love the BHP!!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mew:
I love the BHP!!

Can you please tell me about that pistol? I saw one for sale locally that looked like that, although I didn't see it in person. I thought it was beautiful, but I missed it by a day. It was described as nickel, and it had the gold trigger. I'm a newbie to Hi Powers, but when I try to search for a nickel Hi Power all I find are the silver chrome guns that look like an aluminum color to me.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
don't know that much Lou I traded my brother for it about 25 years ago, it isn't the silver one's you reference I know exactly what you mean, but more like a nickel plate. whatever the finish is it holds up beautiful and is a tack driver. 1980 vintage PM date.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post