SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The End Of The BHP
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The End Of The BHP Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I believe they were issued to some general officers as well.

Not officially, though it's possible that some Generals received them anyway. Generals also sometimes carried non-issued pistols. (Rank has its privileges.)

The issued pistol for general officers from 1943-1972 was a Colt Pocket Hammerless, either a Model 1903 in .32 or 1908 in .380:

From 1972-1982, the issued pistol for general officers was the Rock Island Arsenal M15:

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, at least it had a long and storied career. Which is more than can be said about most handguns.

Aesthetics aside, there are a number of modern pistols out there now that can do the same thing as the BHP...at a lower price.

It's still sad to have to say goodbye to a classic.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
What a sexy pistol. Bites the hell out of me though. But I loved shooting them.

Always wanted an Heirloom custom BHP, but sold mine off because I knew I would never get around to sending them off

Agreed. Worst hammer-biting pistol ever. Sure, they are pretty but I'm not paying Sig prices to get abused by my pistol.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Funny, I just got my MKII back from The Action Works yesterday. After breakfast I am heading up to Ben Avery to wonder in the ergos of the BHP.

Saying that, I would not buy a stock new BHP, this was a gift and was well used.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had 3, and definitely enjoy my current one, a .40 FN rollmarked Mk III (which has an excellent out-of-the-box triggerpull-and with the magazine safety...).

I think that FN really missed opportunities by not concurrently designing a slightly updated version, i.e., one with a cleaned-up triggerpull (apparently for most other than mine Wink), a crisper and slightly more ergonomic set of safety and slide stop/release levers, a beveled magazine well, and increased longevity via use of high-tech alloys and/or polymer, and a reconfigured hammer/beavertail to ameliorate hammer bite.

Even Colt belatedly figured this out, and concurrently sells their Series 70 Reproductions with their significantly expanded model line...

The Hi Power as it is is certainly a classic, viable handgun, but in many aspects it's been overshadowed justifiably by more modern competitors, utilizing more modern designs, more modern manufacturing techniques, more modern materials greater durability/longevity, more modern, weather-impervious finishes, more modern ergonomics, and more modern marketing. And, at lower pricing... FN unfortunately saw fit merely to coast on its classic stature, which can only go so far.

Best, Jon

Posts: 995 | Location: Auburn, WA USA | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Browning is currently a fully owned subsidiary of FN Herstal.

and has been for years,

quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I don't believe Browning actually makes the BHP, they buy it from FN.

quote:
Originally posted by RioGrande481:
This is unfortunate.

I am sure Browning will use the production capacity to make their take on a Glock clone.

For some reason I doubt it will be as nice as the SIG sourced BDA.

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a BHP for a while and it was ... meh. Expensive, lousy trigger, mag disconnect, hammer bite. I sold it to somebody who appreciated it where I didn't. I was recently thinking about replacing it but I got a P226 Legion SAO instead and haven't looked back.

Posts: 478 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And this, too,
shall pass away
Picture of Drifting Fate
posted Hide Post
Had my day in the sun with the P35, carried one for years, traded a few away, held on to one. That one I loaned to my father who passed away before telling anyone where he put it. Two losses there.

So, do I cancel my order for a P320 V-TAC and put the funds to a Hi Power, or relish in the memories and move forward with technology?

I'll have to think about this one for awhile.

Posts: 3679 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I carried a "High Power" as a LEO from 1978 until about 1986, when our chief decided Browning and Colt 1911 9mm SAOs should be replaced by DA/SA options which were more "modern" designs. I replaced my privately owned/department approved BHP with the first Sig P226 carried by any officer in my agency. A lot of fellow officers followed suit, but the department's first issued duty pistol was the S&W 5906.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.browning.com/produc...ls/discontinued.html

I have a T, Mark III, and an alloy, they're great guns.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have owned several HP's and clones over the years. From the "T" series to Tangent sighted versions, and FEG clones which to me were just as good as FN HP's.

Last year I was debating on purchasing a CZ 1911 new production , but after reading forum member XLT's experience with converting his 40 HP to 357 Sig, I abandoned the CZ, purchased a 40 HP and did the conversion.

I am not sure how much the decision to stop production will affect supply and demand, as there are so many HP out in the world. However, I am sure hoping replacement parts will be made available to suppliers.

My first two "serious" pistols were a Colt Commander 9mm and Browning Hi Power.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am sure hoping replacement parts will be made available to suppliers.

I wouldn't worry too much - there's already a long- and well-established aftermarket for the BHP.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BHP demonstrated use story:
My old partner was fooling around with his BHP and attempting to uncock it with a round up the spout.
He shot and mortally wounded his waterbed.
The resultant flood was biblical!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am sure Browning will use the production capacity to make their take on a Glock clone.
Browning has no production capacity. The Browning corporation has never made guns, they are merely an importer/distributor of guns that other companies make with the Browning marks.

Hell, the High Power shouldn't even be called a "Browning High Power." While John Browning started the design, the majority of what we known as the High Power pistol was designed by Dieudonné Saive. The work of Saive led to what is arguably the pistol's most important/influential feature, the use of a removable staggered (aka double stack) magazine.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Browning has no production capacity. The Browning corporation has never made guns, they are merely an importer/distributor of guns that other companies make with the Browning marks.

While it's true that most of the Browning-marked firearms lineup are manufactured offshore, they do make some guns here. The Buck Mark pistol and rifle lines are Utah-made, as are the 22LR and .380 1911 pistols.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
http://www.browning.com/produc...ls/discontinued.html

I have a T, Mark III, and an alloy, they're great guns.

The discontinued list as of two minutes ago only shows the MkIII and Standard in 40S&W as discontinued, which they have been for some time. The 9mm versions of the two models is for now still shown as 'current production' products.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Browning doesn't make anything. It's just a brand name owned by FN.

quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I don't believe Browning actually makes the BHP, they buy it from FN.

quote:
This is unfortunate.

For some reason I doubt it will be as nice as the SIG sourced BDA.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I agree with the comments that they missed the boat by not releasing an updated version with a more modern thumb safety/extractor/slide release, and a better trigger.

Not many guns out there can match the slim slide profile and low over all height of the BHP. that is what makes it so appealing to me. IMO, it's sooooo close to being my perfect carry gun.

I have been toying with the idea of getting one of the Nighthawk BHP's, buyt they still have the crappy safety, extractor and slide release. I also think the beaver tail of the NH version is too long/big.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
I had Ted Yost do mine in his Signature Grade. Perfection does exist.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:

While it's true that most of the Browning-marked firearms lineup are manufactured offshore, they do make some guns here. The Buck Mark pistol and rifle lines are Utah-made, as are the 22LR and .380 1911 pistols.
Sorry, I should probably have said, "distributor and/or importer," to be more clear than "importer/distributor."

AFAIK, even the US made guns are not actually made by Browning, but are made by other manufacturers for Browning, just like all the other guns from Belgium, Japan and Portugal.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post