SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The End Of The BHP
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The End Of The BHP Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
Massad Ayoob writes in this month's AH that "the company was discontinuing their High Power pistol" He does not say if FN will continue to manufacture the pistol under their name. I am glad that I have 2 and will hang onto them.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love 'em but they are pretty pricey in today's market. Plus 'all metal' and SA is not the usual design in today's striker-fired world.

I bet they show up periodically in 'limited runs'.

But IMO everyone should own one. Would be great to see FN sell them direct.

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I heard the same rumor in 1999.

Browning Arms Co began importing the High Power into the United States in 1954, meaning there are 63 years worth of imports out there to choose from.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107578 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
A legend never dies...

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
We have lots of them around here, I saw a beat up one the other day they were asking 1595 for and it wasn't even a t model.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If they don't sell . . .

But used ones will not be hard to come by.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
For now both versions are still listed on the Browning website.

NIB are slow sellers for us these past few years. Too pricey is the usual complaint. We no longer stock them, only brought in as special orders.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Love high powers, looked at one at the LGS recently and it was over 1k and had the worst trigger that I have ever encountered in all my years shooting.

Even the HK VP7 was better, heavier but better.

It was so bad I laughed.

Salesman said it wasn't bad... again, I laughed.

Great pistol, wonderful ergos, fits my hand like no other.

Recently there were huge wildfires in Portugal, damaged the assembly facility?

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry to hear this! The only pistol that feels better (to me) than a BHP is a Luger.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A MK2 Highpower was my first handgun. I liked the model a lot until I got my first 228. I saw a two tone Nighthawk Hipower at a LGS tonight. It looked incredibly well done but $3000+? Nope.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
They don't sell because they're priced too high. Streamline manufacturing, drop the cost a bit, and you still have a very viable handgun. Stopping production entirely is just dumb.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last one I handled was at Gouger Mountain.
Badly used... Badly. And the price? $499.
Shame. I would have gone $100 for it.
I have fond memories of my Armoloy BHP, which, like an idiot, I sold.
Wayne Novak used to build a badass BHP.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
What a sexy pistol. Bites the hell out of me though. But I loved shooting them.

Always wanted an Heirloom custom BHP, but sold mine off because I knew I would never get around to sending them off

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Browning confirmed this for me at the NRA show.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
This is unfortunate.

I am sure Browning will use the production capacity to make their take on a Glock clone.

For some reason I doubt it will be as nice as the SIG sourced BDA.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The_Watcher
posted Hide Post
I finally bought one this year. It was not my favorite gun and for me to use it needed major upgrades like:

Removal of Magazine Disconnect
Trigger work/new internals?
Hammer bobbed/commander hammer
beavertail

So I instead sold it for a very fair price (sold locally in under an hour) and made someone else happy.

I don't miss it at all.

Posts: 184 | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never understood - in this day and age of wide-spread CHL possession - why they never came out with a shortened version like the FM 'Detective' model from 15-20 years ago.

The gun is so ergonomic - if you shortened the slide an inch or so - I bet you could sell a decent amount.

I would buy one.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a FM Detective about 20 years old. Like new condition. Anyone have a idea what it's worth?

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I don't believe Browning actually makes the BHP, they buy it from FN.

quote:
Originally posted by RioGrande481:
This is unfortunate.

I am sure Browning will use the production capacity to make their take on a Glock clone.

For some reason I doubt it will be as nice as the SIG sourced BDA.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I recall that when in Southeast Asia during the Viet Nam war, when pilots were issued .38 revolvers, there was a grey market for the Hi Power among fighter pilots. I believe they were issued to some general officers as well.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post