SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S & W Shield fans
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S & W Shield fans Login/Join 
posted
Afternoon gentlemen.....For the last 2 years my go to EDC has been my P239 SAS 9mm. I bought a Shield 9mm last July and I've managed to put a little more than a 1000 rounds through it with zero malfunctions. Before introducing it to my EDC battery....I was wondering if any of you have had any issue's with the Shield that I may need to be concerned about? Thanks for any input....have a great day!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sig protects my life, home, and family....."God guards my soul"

Posts: 1477 | Location: owensboro, ky | Registered: December 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
I love my shield 1.0, great gun, for the price it really is hard to beat.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine has put thousands or rounds through his and even takes it to shooting classes. His has been flawless.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have a P239 that was my EDC until I purchased a Shield 2.0 9mm. I ran the gamut of ammo brands through it without any malfunctions to date... 1200+ round count. Range ammo after break-in is mostly Magtech 115gr FMJ, EDC Federal HST 124 JHP. My P239 is a very reliable weapon but, it doesn't fit my body (IWB) as well as the Shield.

Posts: 27 | Location: Fluid | Registered: January 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy's....your comments are greatly appreciated and valued. I can now move forward with a greater confidence in this little gem of a pistol.

Posts: 1477 | Location: owensboro, ky | Registered: December 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine has been flawless in 9mm.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently got a Shield 2.0 9MM, and outta the box the trigger was nice, the grip just OK but it consistently shot low/left.
S&W offered to reset the sights, but wanted a 6-8 week turn around and suggested I try myself.
I did and messed them up.
S&W warranty replaced them, but it took 6 weeks over the end of the year holidays.

Within a few weeks, the tritium tube fell out of the front sight....and S&W said they were back ordered and it would take about 2 monthes to replace them.
I found a set of Trijicons immediately available online and bought them and my 'Smith installed them without issue.

To improve the trigger, I got an Apex firing system and let my 'Smith do his thing: It installed fine, but I had occasional FTF's.
He reset it a few times and it still wasn't reliable. I called S&W and they sent a replacement striker.
Finally, it all worked as expected.
I aldo added a Hogue slip-on rubber grip for a little better feel and recoil control.
After all the work, it's finally a very nice shooting CCW pistol.
But I lost faith in it for CCW use and got a H&K P30SKS which has been flawless.

The Shield shoots better with all the mods, but the H&K also offers a factory 15 round Mag.

To each his own. If you get a Shield that works well outta the box, Good For You!
Mine was initially reliable and affordable.
But for me, needed some upgrades..and S&W made sure to let me know it was designed to be a deep concealable,close-range pistol and "Not a Target Gun".

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My shield frame split, rendering the pistol inoperative. It went back to S&W, and they did to me what they did to everyone else who had the same problem; claimed it was ammunition related, refused to honor the warranty, said they'd "replace" it at a cost higher than retail, but absolutely refused to do their part.

The pistol had under 200 factory rounds through it. It simply quit working at the range, and some internet searching revealed others with the same problem, an identical crack between the trigger cutout in the frame, and the mag release hole. I had to get a magnifying glass to find it, but that cracked frame allowed it to flex enough that the trigger drawbar wasn't able to do its job, and acted like a dead trigger.

The pistol is useless; sits in my safe, completely unsupported by S&W.

I thought Keltec had the worst customer service, but I was wrong. Sig's complete lack of honor in their warranty hit a new low, as did the quality f the pistol

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Shield 9mm 1.0 with probably around 3k flawless rounds through it. I found the 1.0's trigger to improve with time but im sure an apex or 2.0 is still even better. I put on Talon rubber grips and night sights on mine and its the ideal carry gun for me. I can't say enough good things about the shield. Also about half my dept has it as an off duty, some opting for the performance center one too. Though the PC one screws you up if you fire from a weapon retention position. My dept also carries Glock 17's and people still prefer the shield over the Glock 43

Posts: 267 | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all....I've put a Hogue Tactical finger groove grip on mine, and also added a Pierce grip extension. These two additions changed the whole feel of the gun. Between my 239, 229, and this little Shield...I think my carry needs have been met.

Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Just got back from putting another 100 through my Shield. The gun is a MA gun that came with a very heavy 10#+ MA trigger but with an APEX Carry Kit installed the trigger is fine. Put a Hogue HandAll Beavertail rubber grip on it and I found that it shoots way more accurately. Great, reliable, accurate gun.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2401 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wife has a 9mm Shield 1.0, loves it, probably 1000+ rounds through it. It does not like 147gr Browning ammo though, my P320 had no problem! I recently traded off a G17 and 19 for a 9mm Shield 2.0 with Red CT laser, love it so far!

Posts: 6 | Registered: August 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
My slide rusted. Only issue I’ve had with mine. Been my edc for a few years now. Shoots great for a gun of its size.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very inconsistent reviews here....along with some very negative CS Experiences with S&W.
Reinforces my belief it may be a fine little CCW pistol when it works, but may not possibly be 100% reliable for self defense if it's an active everyday range gun that sees a lot of casual useage.
And YES I have read a lot of reviews with consumers claiming thousands of rounds downrange with no problems.
Congrats to them!

I wonder what Glock, Sig, Ruger or HK would do if one of their plastic frames cracked?

Check this out too:
http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=274170

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have them in 9, 40 and 45. Nay a problem with any ammo, and accurate as expected for a self defense weapon.
Nothing wrong with the Shields IMHO, but individual milage may vary. Remember, there are well over 1M of these out there, so there may be a hiccup now and than.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drshame:
Very inconsistent reviews here....along with some very negative CS Experiences with S&W.
Reinforces my belief it may be a fine little CCW pistol when it works, but may not possibly be 100% reliable for self defense if it's an active everyday range gun that sees a lot of casual useage.
And YES I have read a lot of reviews with consumers claiming thousands of rounds downrange with no problems.
Congrats to them!

I wonder what Glock, Sig, Ruger or HK would do if one of their plastic frames cracked?

Check this out too:
http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=274170

Pretty much the same experience for me, same response from S&W when mine failed. I've been shooting S&W for a long time, still own a number, primarily revolvers. My first handcuffs were S&W, and I own quite a few pairs. This kind of response, refusal to honor their warranty, is off-putting and very disappointing.

After I received my notification that S&W could find no reason or defect leading to the failure, I called. I was told that standard practice, when a reason for the failure can't be pinned down, is to blame it on ammunition, which is exactly what they did in my case.

There was no big explosion, no indication of a problem, no sign in the brass of overpressure. No flattened primers, bulged or cracked cases, blown primers, or otherwise. The fame simply cracked. The S&W representative asked my why I thought it cracked. my only observation is that the cut-out for the trigger is square, and the crack started at a corner; it began at a stress point and ended at another hole in the frame: the mag release. It can only be a design flaw, and when others are seeing the same, identical problem, then it is a problem, whether S&W chooses to deny it or not. They choose to deny, which is dishonorable. It's reprehensible, in fact, given that if I'd been depending on that pistol to save my life instead of simply shooting it at a range, the outcome could have been considerably worse.

That I was able to determine the problem by finding photographs online of identical cracks in other pistols, should mean something, most of all to S&W.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Three years now with my Shield 9, and not one single problem. Round count is in the 1000+ range, just an estimate.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I'm an admirer, not an owner. The 9mm shoots nicely and is easily controllable as poly single stacks go, though the grip still feels too proportionally slim to me. Triggers are still entrenched in that 'meh' category, in original form or 2.0. I certainly DON'T like how S&W treated owners who had their frames crack. The double-stack guns had similar issues with the hotter calibers, and look how S&W handled those when they re-engineered the 2.0 D/S frames. If they had and acknowledged problems with those designs, what makes them believe that the single stack Shield couldn't suffer from the same sort of maladies?

Those negatives likely explains best as to why I don't own one. But I still kind of like 'em anyways.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ran one in 40 for a year or maybe more. It was great, no issues and accurate for what it is. I stopped running a single stack that isnt a 1911 but I havent quite tipped into selling it. Likely a combination of laziness and 40s not selling well.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan. And wont own one. That said, I shot them extensively at the local range when I worked there.

Triggers were horrible. Accuracy is best charitably described as "combat accurate". Our first two 9mm shields suffered multiple FTEs. Both sent back to S&W. They sent new guns back.

I have looked at the shield 45 and shot two examples of it. One couldnt get through either mag without FTF, the round nose diving into the ramp/front of mag.

Yes, I know about Apex parts. But if I wanted to waste more money giving a new gun everything the factory could'nt be bothered to, I'd still be buying Kimbers. My 0.02 Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post