SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So I Ended-Up With A Colt Defender. Update: Range Report Added.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I Ended-Up With A Colt Defender. Update: Range Report Added. Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by critter44:
I have the Ruger SR 1911 in 10mm you mentioned. DO NOT GIVE UP on getting one. SUPER accurate, completely reliable and recoil is quite tolerable.

I haven't necessarily given up on a 10mm SR1911, but I'd say it's not high on my priority list at the moment.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
I have a New Agent as well with Crimson trace laser grips on it. Great little handgun, very reliable, a little heavy. I don't carry it much anymore since I got a 938.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ksss:
I have a New Agent as well with Crimson trace laser grips on it. Great little handgun, very reliable, a little heavy.

A little... heavy??? It weighs 22½ oz. empty. That's a mere 1½ oz more than my Walther PPS M2, which is a small polymer-framed 9mm compact.

I dunno... maybe it's because I was carrying my P239 SAS, then my Rem. 1911 R1, but when I put that Defender on my belt just to see how things fit, it felt like I had a feather riding back there Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Midway has colt mags for $16 each.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
Midway has colt mags for $16 each.

Yup. I meant to post about that and forgot. Thanks for catching it!

I've got two of 'em on the way.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
The pistol is currently with the LGS from which I purchased it, for their smith to correct its shooting 2" to the right at 25'. I should have it back early-to-mid next week.

As I began to fear after seeing this post, that was a huge mistake: Slide is scratched-up seven ways from Sunday Frown

He called me up, telling me those sights were very hard to move, and that he'd applied as much force as he dared without risking damaging anything.

To add insult-to-injury: He said he thought he'd moved them a bit, and claimed it shot to zero for him. Then, when I picked it up, he was all about "You're only trying to hit <such-and-such> and <such-and-such> a distance..." Going by the .45 ACP laser trainer cartridge I have: It's as far off as when I left it there.

So now I have an $800 beater pistol.

Update: Much of it was mitigated by, believe-it-or-not, judicious application of one of those green Scotch pads. The rest is what it is. In a way, it almost makes the little bugger more endearing, like a little mongrel dog with one floppy ear.

At least that's what I'm telling myself Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

posted Hide Post
Interesting thread.

Just two days ago, I stumbled onto a Talo edition of the defender (Night Defender) as new in the box.

It is home with me now.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Good choice OP. These things have great reviews.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 414 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trooper Joe:
Interesting thread.

Just two days ago, I stumbled onto a Talo edition of the defender (Night Defender) as new in the box.

It is home with me now.

Congratulations. Sharp-lookin' pistol Smile

You may wish to acquire this: Pearce Grips PG-OM1 Rubber Finger Groove Insert for Compact 1911

I added that to my Defender. Tamed felt recoil considerably, w/o adding significant bulk. Look better than that image suggests, too. Much better.

The gunsmith accomplished nothing with my sights, near as I can tell. So I'm now dropping Wilson Combat Ultra-Lube oil in the dovetail. Going to give that a day or two to penetrate, then try my newly-acquired sight pusher.

posted Hide Post
Sweet Colt Defender!

Posts: 717 | Location: Keystone State  | Registered: November 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Colt logo Crimson Laser grips LG-404 is on clearance on their web site. They only have 5 left, well 4 now.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
I have a New Agent as well with Crimson trace laser grips on it. Great little handgun, very reliable, a little heavy.

A little... heavy??? It weighs 22½ oz. empty. That's a mere 1½ oz more than my Walther PPS M2, which is a small polymer-framed 9mm compact.

I dunno... maybe it's because I was carrying my P239 SAS, then my Rem. 1911 R1, but when I put that Defender on my belt just to see how things fit, it felt like I had a feather riding back there Smile

Carrying it in a holster it is relatively light, but when I carry in a upper jacket pocket it really pulls the jacket down. Small issues perhaps, but that really irritates me.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
So I'd purchased a Handgun Sight Pusher Tool Universal for 1911 glock sig springfield and others based on feedback in Sight pusher vs. brass punch + vise.

No joy. Tried with more force than was wise.

Resorted to brass punch and small ball-peen hammer. Would not budge.

So tomorrow I'm dropping it off at a gunsmith that's been in the business in these parts for longer than I've owned firearms. Let's see what they can do with it.

Now I'm regretting my purchase a little bit Frown

quote:
Carrying it in a holster it is relatively light, but when I carry in a upper jacket pocket it really pulls the jacket down.

I would imagine so. It's not a pocket pistol. At least not by my definition of "pocket pistol." Anything much bigger/heavier than a Ruger LCP I'd tend to keep in a belt holster or shoulder rig.

posted Hide Post
Not trying to be THAT guy, but...

If you are gun guy, which you are, you really should consider finding a MGW sight pro or sight master whatever they call it. I hear guys complain about how long it takes to set up, heavy, pricey, etc. Not that heavy, expensive, or time consuming as looking at idiot marks that you paid some guy to put there.

I have seen lesser tools bend Trijicon HD sights because of tight fit and the tool wouldn't adjust enough to engage low enough.

I just moved the same set of Trijicon HD that were the replacement for the bent ones with my MGW last night. It was hitting right and I tweaked it. Yes it took a couple minutes, 3-5, to get perfect but who cares?

I have never found a sight that the MGW couldn't handle. Except those waify little Dawson FO sights that they terrify you into using their little aluminum punch. Their fear tactics work on me and I have never tried pushing them. lol

Beautiful gun btw, glad the scotch brite worked. That would have driven me crazy.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
If I run into this again, I may just do that. But this is only the second time I've had to have sights adjusted. Only other time was my Sig P239 SAS, and one of my best friends has a Sig sight-pusher. (And a keen eye. He put it on there, said "About <this> much," nudged it and it was right on.)

My Walther PPS M2 might need tweaking. Since I got it back from Walther, for the safety recall, I think it may be shooting slightly left. But that could as well have been me.

Anyway: Current problem solved for the cost of a little over an hour's round-trip drive time and $10 to the gunsmith. I won't know for sure until I get it to the range, but, if the laser practice cartridge is any guide, it should be pretty damn close--if not right on.

He told me it was so tight there was no way a sight-pusher or brass punch was gonna move it. He used a steel punch.

That gunsmith is the same one that smoothed-out my Ruger Security Six' DA, and gave it an SA trigger that breaks like glass, back in about 1977 or '78. Custom-fitted finger-groove grips for my big paws to it, too. And tuned my Ruger Single Six Convertible's trigger. At 88 years old he's still smithing. As long as he's still smithing, that's where all my work is going form now on.

They had a box of 1911 GI 7-round mags for $10 ea. Picked up two of them while I was there. Just because Smile

Thanks! It is a sharp-looking pistol. Can't wait until I can start carrying it. Just got to find out exactly where it's pointing, now.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Looks like the sights are right on the money now!

All targets at ±25 feet.

First 14 rounds. Not-particularly-slow-fire (for me):

After the next 14 rounds--being a bit less "studied" in my shooting:

Then some practice, first time ever, with my shiny new PACT Club Timer III:

Looks like I have my work cut out for me

Very pleased with my purchase, now.

(I think I'm gonna need more .45 ACP ammo...)