SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So I Ended-Up With A Colt Defender. Update: Range Report Added.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I Ended-Up With A Colt Defender. Update: Range Report Added. Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Really thought I was in love with the Sig 1911 Ultra Compact. My "1911 buddy" was telling me "You really need a 1911 in 10mm. So now I was thinking Ruger SR1911 in 10mm.

Went to a couple LGS. Fondled them both. The sights on the Sig didn't work for me at all. Trigger wasn't all that, either. The SR1911 simply did not call to me.

Stopped at the tiny LGS down the street. Checked out a couple things. Nope. Nope. Then I said something about a 1911 carry piece. "Oh, you want a carry piece. I got something in a Colt for you."

Came out with a used Colt Defender in stainless. Got a light idiot mark and a couple other minor scratches that you have to look for. Felt good in the hand. Trigger nothing short of terrific. Mentioned I'd need a holster. He went over to his rack of holsters, poked around, came back and laid a Galco Combat Master pancake holster down. "You tossin' that in?" I asked. He nodded. Sold!

My first Colt. Can't wait to see how it shoots for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Very nice and a new Galco to boot. Ya done good. Enjoy! John

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I own a Colt Defender as well. They are great guns. Looks like you got a nice one.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Congrats! That is a VERY nice compact 45.

My partner carried one in plainclothes for several years. I never saw it choke. Accurate too. Enjoy yours! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, you'll have to give us a range report. I know these short nose guys have gotten more reliable than yesteryears models and would be interested in your reliability experience.
Congrats on a fine looking pistol and may you carry it well.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always had a hankering for one. For no real reason. No and I like the Combat Master. I carried my compact frame Glocks in one for years.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys!

It needed a good cleaning. Wasn't filthy dirty, but wasn't nearly as clean as I like to get 'em. So I gave it a good cleaning and lube.

Couldn't figure out how to get the thing back together YouTube to the rescue, then it was easy.

Going up north with one of my best friends this weekend. We're going to be adding to the pistol range he's putting together on his property. They're predicting 70% chance of showers, but I'm hoping we'll get enough breaks in the weather for me to give the new gun some target time and to test out the 4, 6 and 8 inch gongs I'm bringing with me.

CV, I'll be testing it with 3-4 FMJ target loads and the same JHPs I did with my R1. I'll let y'all know how it fares.

DaBigBR, That Galco is something like my Milt Sparks I-BAK. Obviously I can't carry this pistol until I've function-tested it, but I did put the rig on, briefly, earlier today. It seemed almost weightless after wearing a Gov't 1911 all day Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a good looking 1911 with the s/s and wood grips and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Colt builds a nice 1911. They recommend changing the recoil spring every 1000 rounds on the defenders.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info, j. Maybe I'll order replacements, then. I have no idea what the round count is. Shop owner said he knows the guy who sold it to them, and he did more carrying than shooting.

Wonder where to get 'em from...?

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
https://www.gunsprings.com/COL...NDER/cID1/mID1/dID66

Nice pistol!

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I had one. I loved it after I had it dehorned. Before that, it cut me more than a sink full of broken glasses.
My sister fell in love with it and has it now.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a colt defender in 9mm.

Love it. Fiancé loves shooting it too

I slipped some wolf springs in it and it wears some predator green VZ grips.

Mine prefers colt mags.

It’s a nice piece.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
https://www.gunsprings.com/COL...NDER/cID1/mID1/dID66

Nice pistol!

Thanks! (On both counts.)

quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I had one. I loved it after I had it dehorned. Before that, it cut me more than a sink full of broken glasses.

What were you cutting yourself on? Only thing "sharp" on mine are the slide serrations.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Mixed results

First of all: Recoil was stout. I suppose I was lulled into complacency by the milder recoil of my Rem. R1, but this is a much lighter, shorter-barrelled pistol. It took me a few rounds to come to grips with it, so to say.

It took everything I fed it:

• Blazer Brass, 230 gr. FMJ
  • Federal Champion, 230 gr. FMJ
  • Sellier & Bellot, 230 gr. FMJ
  • Remington Golden Saber, 185 gr. JHP
  • Hornady Critical Defense, 185 gr. JHP
  • Federal HydraShok Low Recoil, 165 gr. FMJ
  • Winchester Silvertip, 185 gr. JHP
  • Speer Gold Dot, 185 gr. JHP

I had one (1) instance of the slide locking back on a nearly full mag. I think that was with the Federal or Winchester, after the first round. I sling-shot the slide, or hit the slide release--I recall not which, and carried on. Everything else fed and cycled flawlessly.

It shot to the right for me. But I was able to group with it.

This is 49 rounds, when I was function-testing ammo. ±25 feet.

These are 4" diameter circles. ±25 feet, again. Five rounds/target.

You can see from targets #2, #4 and $7 that the pistol can shoot if the shooter does his or her job. (On #4 I knew that'd be a flyer when I pulled the trigger.)

I don't even want to talk about #6 & #8 Razz

I was definitely not at the top of my game. My sight picture was more than a little blurry. I don't know whether it was a bad day for my eyes, the light coming in through the windows behind the firing line coupled with a dimly-lit range, or both. And I was pushing it when I shouldn't have--sometimes firing even though I was getting the shakes. So I expect that on a different day I can do better.

The pistol is currently with the LGS from which I purchased it, for their smith to correct its shooting 2" to the right at 25'. I should have it back early-to-mid next week.

All-in-all I think this little 1911 will make a fine carry pistol.

Picture of kokopelli
posted Hide Post
Colt got it right with the 3" 1911...I've had 2 Defenders, and 2 New Agents, and all would feed, fire and eject anything I put in them.

Posts: 246 | Registered: September 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are very nice groups for a 3" gun at 25', when you did your part. Looks like you picked up a great shooter.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own three(3) Colt Defenders in different calibers, and wouldn't consider parting with any of them......they just work!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I bought one yesterday, took an hour to get the slide stop in the first time I tried, just seconds every other time. Maybe common knowledge but by putting the slide stop in just slightly less than horizontal and pushing up and in it just pops right in, every time.

quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Thanks, guys!

It needed a good cleaning. Wasn't filthy dirty, but wasn't nearly as clean as I like to get 'em. So I gave it a good cleaning and lube.

Couldn't figure out how to get the thing back together YouTube to the rescue, then it was easy.

Going up north with one of my best friends this weekend. We're going to be adding to the pistol range he's putting together on his property. They're predicting 70% chance of showers, but I'm hoping we'll get enough breaks in the weather for me to give the new gun some target time and to test out the 4, 6 and 8 inch gongs I'm bringing with me.

CV, I'll be testing it with 3-4 FMJ target loads and the same JHPs I did with my R1. I'll let y'all know how it fares.

DaBigBR, That Galco is something like my Milt Sparks I-BAK. Obviously I can't carry this pistol until I've function-tested it, but I did put the rig on, briefly, earlier today. It seemed almost weightless after wearing a Gov't 1911 all day Smile

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd amdmt gramps
posted Hide Post
I have the Colt 'New Agent'-same gun in blue without sights other than a gutter down the top of the slide.

I love the little thing! SO easy to carry, perfectly reliable, plenty accurate, etc.

Enjoy yours!

Had my 'smith install a tiny brass shotgun bead in the nose end of the gutter, NOT to use as a 'sight' but just as an eye catcher when and if in a big hurry. Wonderful enhancement.

Posts: 2106 | Location: southeast arkansas | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd amdmt gramps
posted Hide Post
I have the Ruger SR 1911 in 10mm you mentioned. DO NOT GIVE UP on getting one. SUPER accurate, completely reliable and recoil is quite tolerable.

I've shot it a lot and intend to take it deer hunting.

Posts: 2106 | Location: southeast arkansas | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post