SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So, Sig won't upgrade my P320 due to RMR cut.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, Sig won't upgrade my P320 due to RMR cut. Login/Join 
Picture of NoQuota
posted
I received a call today from a Sig rep, he told me that they will not do the voluntary upgrade to my pistol, because the slide has been "improperly cut" for an RMR.

He went on to say that they would not warrantee the slide, and that the engineers say that the slide isn't safe to shoot, and should not be used.

All because the RMR cut made a small window/pocket on the top of the striker channel.

I researched other companies that do RMR cuts in P320s, and depending on the slide, if it already had the lightening cuts in it, they show the same striker window as mine.

So, the want me to either buy a new slide from them, that they will then do the upgrade to, or send me back my pistol without the upgrade.

My P320 has received a competition package by GGI, and I waited until GGI had a new sear that was compatible with the upgrade.

So now I'm frustrated to say the least.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet. So any thoughts, experience, advice is welcome.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 597 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to here about this.The only thing you can do now is to take the gun back from them.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It sucks, but I don't blame them. Unless your gun was worked on by a SIG's authorized smith, you're SOL.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Have you talked to Bruce?

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps politely asking for a manager may help.

Explain that you understand that having work done voids your warranty, and that you understand that if they perform the upgrade and you experience problems, you will not try to hold them responsible. I doubt it will work, but you don't have anything to lose by trying.

Or take it back as is.

This is the risk you run with irreversibly modifying products, especially firearms. It sucks in situations like this, but it's pretty common knowledge on top of being covered in warranty information.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
It does suck.

I have not yet talked to Bruce Gray.

I told the rep on phone that I really wasn't concerned about the warrantee.

I fully understood, when I had the work done, that it might Void the warrantee, if the slide cracked in the area milled for the RMR, I wouldn't blame Sig, or expect them to replace the slide, but I feel in this case, that the VU has nothing to do with the modification.

Posts: 597 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I hear you.

But, looking at it from their standpoint, it's all about protecting themselves. Should something untoward happen on a gun that has been worked on by unauthorized Joe Gunsmith, that they (SIG) eventually upgraded, and someone gets injured, or even dies, no matter how remote of a chance it is, you think they're going like that?

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig can be very stubborn about stuff like this. I sent them an old "Suisse Montage" P225 for the SSP. The DA pull on it was Euro spec and horrible. I asked them to replace the Euro spec springs with new US spec.
Nope.... when the gun came back to me, still Euro.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Please, contact me.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sent my 320 Full size slide in with an RMR cut and it was upgraded. It was recessed a good amount on the slide but did not reveal any channels. They had no issue upgrading. Your RMR cut must be pretty deep.

Posts: 535 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I understand your frustration but cannot blame Sig one bit. You had aftermarket work done on your pistol, if I was Sig I wouldn't work on it either.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4520 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
The obvious thing to do is have the company who made the cut too deep buy you a new slide.

You have to understand that if SIG does work on a slide that they consider dangerous, they're buying into the liability...in essence condoning use of an unsafe product

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please, contact me.

-Bruce

No more discussion needed. Just do this!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
You can't expect SIG, or any manufacturer, to warranty a product that you had extensively modified. Bruce will take care of you, though. Good luck.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gordynismo:
Your RMR cut must be pretty deep.

There are quite a few versions of SIG's lightning cuts (in another thread). Pix showed cut from all the way up to the top of the slide to almost nothing. It's easy to see how a SIG deep lighnting cut could expose a hole for an RMR cut.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
Just for the record, and reference, the RMR cut wasn’t any deeper than any other cut I’ve seen.

This is an example

https://www.google.com/search?...mgrc=0TxKpDvjgyYiXM:

Mine looks just like the one on the bottom, both slides are cut the same depth, the slide on the bottom just has lightening cuts milled into it from Sig, that are then revealed when milled for the RMR.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NoQuota:
Just for the record, and reference, the RMR cut wasn’t any deeper than any other cut I’ve seen.

This is an example

https://www.google.com/search?...mgrc=0TxKpDvjgyYiXM:

Mine looks just like the one on the bottom, both slides are cut the same depth, the slide on the bottom just has lightening cuts milled into it from Sig, that are then revealed when milled for the RMR.

Your link is to a page with RMR cut slides, so it's hard to tell which picture you're referring to.

I don't think what is causing you problems is how deep the cut is, it is that it violates the integrity of the striker channel

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit late to this thread. But the minute I send a slide off for an RMR cut I know getting factory help is gone. I would think you would too. What difference does the type of cut make. I'd be communicating extensively with the person who did my slide as SIG says its unsafe to shoot. That would be my number one issue.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn't sound to me like Sig is saying the slide is unsafe. It sounds like Sig is saying that they won't do additional work to the slide and take on the responsibility for what others have done to it.

If Sig releases a product to the public, Sig has responsibility for the condition of that product; Sig owns the duty for a safe design. As soon as someone modifies the design, the person who modified it takes on that liability; Sig can't be held responsible for what an outside party does to their design.

If the pistol is sent back to Sig and sig works on it, by sending it back out as "upgraded," Sig is certifying that it's in acceptable condition and safe. Sig is taking on the responsibility for the firearm, even when someone else has circumvented the factory engineering.

Send a firearm back to Glock for any service at all, any after market parts will be removed from the pistol and replaced with factory parts. The only exception is the sight. To return the firearm with other than Glock parts installed would make Glock liable for those parts. Likewise, if Sig were to do the upgrade and return the firearm, Sig would bear responsibility for the safe condition of the firearm, including other work done.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the opportunity to help you here! It was a pleasure speaking with you.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post