SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Walther PPQ22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther PPQ22 Login/Join 
and this little pig said:
posted
For those of you who own such a pistol, what do you think of it (pros & cons)? My wife shot one while we were in Florida and is contemplating buying one. Thanks for your input!!!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have one that I shoot all the time. The slide in mine would not lock back after the last round. Walther was very responsive when I contacted them and paid to ship my pistol back and forth both ways and covered the costs of repair (replacement of the slide). It still doesn’t lock back 100% of the time. However, I’ve not done anything about it as it is a good training tool. As in, my gun isn’t working: tap, rack, eject, etc.

With the above in mind, it has been a great pistol in that it is fairly accurate and is very reliable with the .22lr ammo I generally use: Winchester, Federal (not American Eagle), Remington Golden Bullet, CCI, etc.

There are a couple of differences between it and a centerfire Walther. First, the trigger is not exactly like the PPQ M2. If anything, mine has an even lighter trigger. Secondly, you will notice the recoil difference. That seems obvious but if you just shoot the PPQ 22 and not your PPQ M2, I think the recoil could throw you off in competition or a SD situation. As such, I generally shoot a magazine or two of through my PPQ M2 in a timed drill, before I leave the range, so my muscle memory is thinking centerfire and not rimfire.

If you just want a 22LR pistol to shoot, I’d look at the Ruger MKIV as it is more accurate and probably the best production .22lr you can buy right now. If you want one to train with, then the PPQ 22 would be ideal and I would buy one.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two of them and love both. 10,500 rounds through the 4" and 950 rounds through the 5". I like the 4" model a little better. I think it balances in my hand better. I also have a Mark IV 22/45 Lite with a Vortex Venom Red Dot. The Ruger is also nice but I like the Walther 4" better. Just more fun to shoot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only .22 pistol right now is a PPQ 22. I love it to train with cheaply when I'm carrying my PPQ with some frequency.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a P22 a long time ago but transitioned to purpose built .22LR pistols like the Ruger Mark II, which I prefer. The .22LR is not a centerfire cartridge and scaled down centerfire platforms are a compromise. The Ruger Mark series, Browning Buckmark and other dedicated .22LR designs are much better - reliability, accuracy, aftermarket support, etc.

If you are looking for a training platform, than a full sized .22LR version of your preferred SD pistol (like exactly the same size) does make sense.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not an owner, so forgive me for the intrusion.

It's been a very popular selling .22LR for us. The PPQ's grip ergonomics is the big draw, but a lack of histrionics helps as well. Performance-wise it's done just as well as its sibling M&P22 (the full-size one from Umarex/Walther) did when it initially came to market, with a similar lack of customer complaints over reliability and general praise from those folks who've cared to report on their guns. About the only gripe we hear is about our inability to carry enough extra magazines in inventory for the gun.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I've got one I've put probably 2K-3K through it easily. Most of those suppressed. Can count failures on one hand. Great gun.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one and I agree with the assessments in this thread so far. However, I had what I considered a fairly serious problem with mine: cleaning up at the range after shooting it the first time, I noticed the casings were bulged at the bottom, right up against the rim and opposite where the firing pin struck. I emailed Walther, they sent a FedEx label, and I sent it in. The fix was a new barrel.

This does not seem to be extremely common, but it’s not unheard of. A Google search for “PPQ 22 bulged case” will lead you to a few stories similar to mine, but with pictures.

I kept the PPQ 22 and have not experienced any other issues since the repair. I’m a big fan of the PPQ series though, so there’s probably a fair amount of personal bias.

Posts: 29 | Registered: September 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had about 2 to 3% failures which is great for a 22lr semi-auto pistol . Only problem was that takedown lever broke when I was only using one side of it. Minor issue and Walther fixed it. So far 10,500 rounds PPQ 22 4" and 950 rounds PPQ 5" version. I am going to add a 2nd 4" version when they come back in stock and maybe a PPK in 22lr for fun.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted Hide Post
Thank you for your replies. I think I'm convinced enough to get one for her!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
Thank you for your replies. I think I'm convinced enough to get one for her!

Glad to hear it. You made the correct decision. I just ordered another since I have heavy use on my first one.

posted Hide Post
I have both the 4" and 5". If I had to pick just one, I'd go with the 5" for the longer sight radius. Not a significant weight difference to me.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time I thought a .22 imitation of a full size pistol was a cool thing. I was quite happy with the setup. And, there are some real pluses for .22 pistol or revolver. Don't think of it as anything other than a .22. It's not a 'training' tool for a center fire, except for trigger control and low cost ammo! A .22 is fun to shoot and an excellent caliber for those who are comfortable shooting it.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 5” model that I run suppressed most of the time. Mind has been very reliable even while suppressed. I own a few of the center fire PPQ’s and the trigger on my rim fire is heavier than my center fires by a good amount.
It’s a decent little platform.

Posts: 472 | Location: Montgomery County, PA | Registered: December 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trebor44:
Once upon a time I thought a .22 imitation of a full size pistol was a cool thing. I was quite happy with the setup. And, there are some real pluses for .22 pistol or revolver. Don't think of it as anything other than a .22. It's not a 'training' tool for a center fire, except for trigger control and low cost ammo! A .22 is fun to shoot and an excellent caliber for those who are comfortable shooting it.

I agree with you on this.

I had a PPQ .22 which I hoped to use as a trainer for the full size 9mms. I can't say that actually worked though shooting the .22 is fun in its own way.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
quote:
Originally posted by trebor44:

I agree with you on this.

I had a PPQ .22 which I hoped to use as a trainer for the full size 9mms. I can't say that actually worked though shooting the .22 is fun in its own way.

I should explain.

The trigger and feel of the gun were different enough that it felt like shooting a different gun. It did not really feel like shooting a .22LR version of the 9mm PPQ.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, my wife's PPQ 22 came in on Thursday and she (we) shot it on Saturday. It's a nice pistol that has a full-size feel. She loved it and shot pretty well with it! No complaints about the pistol; it just needs to be shot! She used CCI Mini-mags and Thunderbolts without any hiccups!

posted Hide Post
My Walter PPQ 22 4" now has 11,350 rounds through it and still going strong. I shot it at my range last Thursday shooting some federal red box I think it was 38 or 40 grain ammo and out of 250 rounds I had 4 malfunctions. I am very satisfied with the gun.