SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If you haven't purchased one of the Sportsman's Guide Glock 37...maybe you should
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you haven't purchased one of the Sportsman's Guide Glock 37...maybe you should Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
.357 Sig isn't hot 9X19, any more than .357 magnum is hot 9X19.

.357 Sig is a .40 case with a 9mm size bullet, but is not 9X19, and it's faster than .38 Super (depending on the load).

.357 Sig isn't a niche cartridge. It's more expensive and not as widely used, but there are a LOT of us here that carry it, some personally, some professionally, and it's still produced and sold as ammunition and in firearms chambered for the cartridge.

.45 GAP is another matter, and while fresh brass is still available, it never achieved much popularity. It might have been chambered for something other than a few proprietary Glocks, but I've never seen one or heard of one.

.45 acp continues to be wildly popular.

.357 Sig differs, especially in that I can run 9mm or .40 in most of my .357 pistols, in some cases with nothing more than a barrel change, others with a magazine change as well, enabling training with less expensive ammunition and carrying something more capable, as one desires.

The same is not generally true of .45 GAP.

If one can get the ammunition, or doesn't plan to shoot the G37 much, it would be a good deal. Maybe a great pistol to have around the house or to stage as a spare.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The sub $300 gun to get right now is the Walther PPs M2. It’s an absolute steal at $260-280

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am sure they are good guns. But they are in a truly oddball caliber, and that is why they are cheap. That ammo is hard to find, and is only going to get harder to find.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
If it was .45 ACP I'd pick one up just because, but I'll pass on the oddball GAP.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
.45 GAP is another matter, and while fresh brass is still available, it never achieved much popularity. It might have been chambered for something other than a few proprietary Glocks, but I've never seen one or heard of one.

Springfield Armory offered the XD in .45 GAP for a few years in the mid/late 2000s. That's the only commercially available non-Glock .45 GAP semiauto I'm aware of.

SA Inc. also toyed with the idea of a micro 1911 "Defender" in .45 GAP, and produced a few prototypes around that same time frame, but that never went into commercial production. They eventually transformed the idea of a shortened frame micro 1911 chambered in a smaller cartridge into the "EMP" that was chambered in 9mm, after SA Inc. gave up on the .45 GAP cartridge.

Bond Arms offers .45 GAP barrels for their derringers.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Springfield Armory offered the XD in .45 GAP for a few years in the mid/late 2000s.

Yep, I had one. Bought it used for $200 and was happy to sell it at a loss. Wasn't impressed at all.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got my "shipped" notification. I am supposed to get it Wednesday!!!

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a good deal but I don't see it (the caliber) lasting long. The price of ammo isn't cheap from what I have found.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
That is a good deal but I don't see it (the caliber) lasting long. The price of ammo isn't cheap from what I have found.

It's not cheap compared to 9mm rounds but it's all relative. I found some JHP for about ¢45 per. I'm going to buy 500 hundred rounds, empty a couple mags to say I have shot a Glock, and put it in the safe.

I don't plan to shoot it much and it won't be my EDC. I don't care for the trigger safety, and I prefer hammer over striker. But I have never had a Glock, and I would never have bought one without the opportunity to get one cheap. The time was right, I had the money, eh, why not?

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 45GAP looks like a great round and a good use of modern powders to reduce case length. To bad it never caught on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10round,

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
quote:
Springfield Armory offered the XD in .45 GAP for a few years in the mid/late 2000s.

Yep, I had one. Bought it used for $200 and was happy to sell it at a loss. Wasn't impressed at all.

I had one of those too. It was a good gun. I sold it because at heart I'm really a 1911 guy and don't really care for striker guns. You can reload GAP brass with the same dies you use for .45ACP, using the same components.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
I wonder what department is dumping them. NY State Police are still using them -- have been since 2007.

These are probably from the NYSP. They are going to Glock 21 pistols. Actually I think they are already all issued. I know the guys I routinely work with have them.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
These are probably from the NYSP. They are going to Glock 21 pistols. Actually I think they are already all issued. I know the guys I routinely work with have them.

I didn't know that. Hmm... I wonder why they didn't do that in 2007.

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course they are only sending the gun with one mag. But, if you want another, you can order used mags from them separately. Cuz they fell into a boatload of them. What a coincidence!

posted Hide Post
I wonder why 45acp is so popular with State Police Agencies. Mass State Police M&P45, NH State Police M&P45 and NYSP G21. In my area troopers are few and far between and the nearest backup is not close but they carry a pistol with a 10rd magazine.

DPR

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
I wonder why 45acp is so popular with State Police Agencies. Mass State Police M&P45, NH State Police M&P45 and NYSP G21. In my area troopers are few and far between and the nearest backup is not close but they carry a pistol with a 10rd magazine.

Ironic, coming from someone with your username. Big Grin

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ironic, coming from someone with your username. Big Grin[/QUOTE]
I don't work in a free state!

DPR

posted Hide Post
Highly doubt these are former NYSP guns, as there is a law in New York former police guns can not be resold to the public- have to be transferred to other agencies or destroyed. Which is why I was very surprised to see former New York State corrections guns being sold lately. Perhaps there is some loophole since the dept of corrections is not technically police? Not sure. When the troopers got the gap the corrections department slowly transitioned to the hand me down Glock 17’s.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Let’s be honest here - some crazy world event catapulting 45GAP to the forefront as the only round able to stop alien space invaders notwithstanding - in 20 years the round will be long forgotten.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Let’s be honest here - some crazy world event catapulting 45GAP to the forefront as the only round able to stop alien space invaders notwithstanding - in 20 years the round will be long forgotten.
Yep. It will join the .41AE in obscurity.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post