SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If you haven't purchased one of the Sportsman's Guide Glock 37...maybe you should
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you haven't purchased one of the Sportsman's Guide Glock 37...maybe you should Login/Join 
posted
Yes, it's an odd caliber. Yes, they're "used". But dang it, they're cheap at $256 shipped! Mine came in today and it's fantastic! The sights are bright and the finish is perfect. I don't know if they're all like this, but it's worth a gamble if you don't mind adding abother caliber to your stash. I picked up a couple boxes of GAP at the Walmart. Couldn't be happier with a like-new pistol for $260.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up.
A nice feature is, should you ever desire, that it can be converted to 40S&W.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up
I have been looking at one of these for years

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder what department is dumping them. NY State Police are still using them -- have been since 2007.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the full size 45 Gap a while back and it was a tac driver .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads-up! I ordered one.

Not too excited about adding another cal to the safe, and ammo storage,"but dang it, they're cheap!"

I don't like that you have to pick from their list of FFLs but other than that, it was an easy order. Used Glock 37 delivered for under $300.

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
I wonder what department is dumping them. NY State Police are still using them -- have been since 2007.

Not sure. Florida Highway Patrol is still using them as well.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There were several departments using them, but nearly all have transitioned away.

Glock was practically giving away the guns to departments there for a while, trying to generate sufficient demand/hype for their proprietary GAP cartridge and cement its place in the ammo market. It wasn't successful.

.45 GAP is a dying caliber. The little bit of money you save on the gun itself is going to be eaten up by the higher price of ammo, which will only be exacerbated once it totally dies off in another several years.

You can get a LE trade-in Glock 22 in .40 for about $40 more, or a LE trade-in Glock 17 in 9mm or Glock 21 in .45 ACP for about $100 more. And those calibers aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'd be happier with a couple cases of 9MM instead of a G37.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can’t you convert these to .45acp with just a barrel?

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Can’t you convert these to .45acp with just a barrel?

You can't. The frame is not large enough to hold .45acp cartridges.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Correct.

.45 GAP was designed specifically to use the standard 9/40/357 frame, without requiring the larger 10mm/.45ACP frame.

You could convert a .45 GAP Glock to 9/40/357, but that would require a new slide assembly, trigger housing, and magazine. You'd basically just be using the frame and a couple of the trigger components. Not cost-effective at all.

ATI offers .40 conversion barrels, which only requires the conversion barrel, a .40 extractor, and a .40 magazine. Slightly cheaper, but still not a great deal at $260 for the GAP gun plus $160 for the conversion barrel and extractor, and another $20 for a .40 magazine. And not everyone would trust a caliber-converted gun for self-defense.

(If you want a a .40 Glock, don't bother with the conversion. You can get one for way less than $440... LE trade-in G22s are just under $300.)

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I always thought the agencies that adopted it were out of their mind. A 10 rd gun the size of a 15 rd Glock 22. It made no sense. Everyone of those agencies would have been better off just adopting a Glock 22.

The Florida Highway Patrol was using .40 cal Beretta's that were long in the tooth, so they were probably just happy to get free or almost free guns at that point, ANYTHING to get rid of those aging Beretta 96 pistols.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
For many agencies, especially larger ones, gun selections are based around dollars and cents.

And when Glock comes around offering free guns, the bean counters' pants get tight.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Wow and folks say .40 is a dying caliber.

Since it’s inception I literally have never seen or fired a round of .45 GAP. I have shot more 41 Magnum by far.

I would actually like to try it some day.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Wow and folks say .40 is a dying caliber.

Since it’s inception I literally have never seen or fired a round of .45 GAP. I have shot more 41 Magnum by far.

I would actually like to try it some day.

Me either. I've never seen or fired a round of .45 GAP either.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lopezp: I picked up a couple boxes of GAP at the Walmart.

Walmart carries GAP?
Hollow points?

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

The Florida Highway Patrol was using .40 cal Beretta's that were long in the tooth, so they were probably just happy to get free or almost free guns at that point, ANYTHING to get rid of those aging Beretta 96 pistols.

'Aging' as in worn out from practice and use, or full of lint and surface wear?

Posts: 15847 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Depends on where you live

When I lived in Georgia there was GAP in Walmart’s because GAP was used by several Georgia agencies

Then I moved to Virginia, and .357 sig is in Walmart for the same reason..Lots of agencies use it

I haven’t seen a box of GAP in a Virginia Walmart in years

And I don’t remember ever seeing .357 sig in Georgia

.357 sig was more established than GAP and so will die a slower death

But as technology increases, making 9mm a more effective caliber, and making .45 handguns more user friendly (guns that have high capacity, better recoil comp, and are more easier used across all demographics), niche calibers that solved a problem those traditionally presented, will fade away (.357 sig being hot 9mm, and GAP being user friendly .45)

quote:
Originally posted by Texas@Last:
quote:
Originally posted by lopezp: I picked up a couple boxes of GAP at the Walmart.

Walmart carries GAP?
Hollow points?

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post