SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kahr CM9 or...?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kahr CM9 or...? Login/Join 
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
CM9 is just fine. I carry a PM9 now but I'd have no problem with the CM9.

I've owned the following small 9mm's.

Shield (x2, had the safety and no safety version).
Glock 43
Beretta Nano
Ruger LC9

I've sold all of the but the Kahr. I also have an MK9 and they are both 100% reliable.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4519 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
Well... After weighing all options, I ordered a CM9.

Found it for 246 shipped.

Will wring it out thoroughly once it arrives. If it is good to go out of the box, good for me. If not, I will continue to carry the LCP for deep concealment until the CM9 is squared away. Hopefully we see the former rather than the latter.

However, based on the majority of responses here I am cautiously optimistic. Yes, every company steps in it every once in a while, but overall the CM9/PM9 seems to enjoy relatively positive reviews, and it checks all the boxes I need it to check.

Thanks for all the input folks. Will update this thread once I start putting this thing through the wringer for those who may be interested.

Thanks again folks!

Posts: 571 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good choice! One piece of advice I found helpful: There was a break-in thread posted on another forum that I followed. Basically: rack the slide twice and dry-fire once for 100-200 reps. Then, shoot 300 rounds FMJ, cleaning between every 50-100 rounds. Next, shoot 100 rounds minimum of your intended carry ammo to check for function. I've broken in all 5 of my Kahrs this way, including a CM9 and PM9 and had no problems. The PM9 is my wife's EDC and the CM9 is my go-to when I can't discreetly carry a Sig P-Series. Enjoy!

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I liked my CM9 so much I had the slide, mags, and parts Ionbonded and added a front night sight.

Although I find the CM9 a tad larger to 'pocket' carry, I used my LCP for that.
BUT, I recently replaced my LCP with a Kahr CW380.

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I carry a pm9 daily. No issues.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I'll also add;
I had a PM9 I bought used.
Loved it.
My Dad was considering a carry pistol and was looking at a Taurus 709.
I couldn't let him do that and sold him my PM9.
He has carried it everyday for 4 years.

I found no difference in shooting either pistol.

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I too have a CM9, and I really like it. I bought it used, so no idea on the round count. I might 200 through it, with zero issues.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2494 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
This wouldn't be a Kahr thread without at least one strong anti-sentiment. It's almost a rule.

I've had a PM9 for several years, liked it so much I bought a CM9 for the wife. Sold it here when it turned out she didn't have the hand strength to operate it consistently. Tight little guns.

I rarely take the PM9 out of the safe since getting a G43 but could not bring myself to sell it. Hadn't fired it in a long time before last weekend when I took it for a friend to check out. He liked it but said he'd have to get used to the trigger pull.

What I recommend when you get it is this- put some work gloves on, take the mag out and rack the heck out of it for as long as you can stand- and don't be gentle. Do this at least a few times before taking it out and live firing it, as well as locking the slide back and leaving it that way overnight or for a couple of nights. This should loosen it up and work it in a bit, and hopefully you will have no issues during the regular factory-recommended break-in procedure.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Glock 19er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Kahr CM9 or...

ANYTHING ELSE!! I cannot believe this company is still in business. 10+ Kahr guns owned in the past 20 years and not a single one of them have been reliable. Fool me once shame on me, fool me 10 times...

To be honest, I run my carry guns 1000-3000 rounds before I even think about carrying them, to include about 500 rounds of the hollow point ammo I plan on using.

I have a VERY deep suspicion that the folks that actually like their Kahr pistol have maybe put a box of ammo through them. Maybe. These things shit the bed hard.

You probabably should have stopped buying them after 3 or so.

>>>---Scalp'em 'Noles--->

Posts: 570 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Registered: March 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiddlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
I'll also add;
I had a PM9 I bought used.
Loved it.
My Dad was considering a carry pistol and was looking at a Taurus 709.
I couldn't let him do that and sold him my PM9.
He has carried it everyday for 4 years.

You are a good son! I too have and have carried a PM9 just like yours for years. It shoots great and will handle any and all ammunition.

I found no difference in shooting either pistol.

Posts: 948 | Location: SWFL | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
I had a cm9 that was the worst pistol I've ever had. 6 different mags, none would fire more than 2 rds without jamming.

I still have a mk9 although I never shoot it. It's too heavy for its size.

I would recommend a ruger lc9s if you want a very small and light 9mm, an LCP if you use want a very small and light 380. Both are great values for what they are, pocket guns with adequate capacity and accuracy.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

ANYTHING ELSE!! I cannot believe this company is still in business. 10+ Kahr guns owned in the past 20 years and not a single one of them have been reliable. Fool me once shame on me, fool me 10 times...

To be honest, I run my carry guns 1000-3000 rounds before I even think about carrying them, to include about 500 rounds of the hollow point ammo I plan on using.

I have a VERY deep suspicion that the folks that actually like their Kahr pistol have maybe put a box of ammo through them. Maybe. These things shit the bed hard.

I have lost count of the rounds through my PM9, and it is virtually 100% reliable and ridiculously accurate. I can't remember a misfeed after the first 200 or so rounds.

But I will admit that when I first got it I had some misfeeds. I eventually diagnosed it to being my own fault. The pistol is so light that the wrist needs to be held ABSOLUTELY ROCK SOLID or else it gets the same phenomenon as a typical "limpwrist" misfeed. I have numerous other pistols and thought I knew what I was doing; But once I mentally trained myself to make sure the wrist was solid, the problem immediately vanished.

Just something to try before giving up on them.

PS: I am using Gold Dot hollow points almost exclusively.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted a black P9. I like the Kahr trigger but always felt like the PM9 was too small for me. I had a T9 for awhile that was really fun to shoot. Didn't really work as a carry gun though. Just a little to long in the grip for what I wanted. Also was really difficult to find holsters for.

Posts: 166 | Registered: February 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sammael:
Well... After weighing all options, I ordered a CM9.

Found it for 246 shipped.

Will wring it out thoroughly once it arrives. If it is good to go out of the box, good for me. If not, I will continue to carry the LCP for deep concealment until the CM9 is squared away. Hopefully we see the former rather than the latter.

However, based on the majority of responses here I am cautiously optimistic. Yes, every company steps in it every once in a while, but overall the CM9/PM9 seems to enjoy relatively positive reviews, and it checks all the boxes I need it to check.

Thanks for all the input folks. Will update this thread once I start putting this thing through the wringer for those who may be interested.

Thanks again folks!

Be sure to read the manual! Mine recommended a 200rd break in period and ALWAYS using the slide stop to chamber a round.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a CM9 for probably about 5yrs and I hate to admit that I very seldom carry it. I had a few stoppages early and it really hasn't been fired more than probably 250-300 rounds at most. What concerned me there was wear showing on the Polymer frame. I got in touch with Kahr (they wanted pictures) they said that they are built to such a close tolerance it's normal until it breaks in then that will end.

I do like the little Kahr and can't say I regret buying it but don't think I would buy another one either. I thought that it would probably be my go to carry gun when I bought it.
I bought a Galco pocket Protector for it then I decided that I really don't want to pocket carry it. Pocket carry is fine if you're on your feet but sitting and/ or driving creates a problem getting it out. Especially for me being disabled.
When I do carry it I use a Talon IWB Tuckable holster. I almost forget I even have it on it carries so well and comfortable.
There is a serious problem I have though I just can't seem to walk past from my P 938.

I carry a P 238 in a Talon wallet holster just for that little extra insurance.

If I didn't have the Sigs I would probably carry the little Kahr more often but I can't foresee my Sigs going anywhere soon.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sammael:
Greets all:

Looking to move away from my LCP and .380 into a *very* small single stack 9. As close in size as I can get to an LCP, in fact.

I currently own (and carry from time to time) a G26, which is awfully hard to beat (mag interchangeability, shootability, reliability, etc.).

That being said, the G26 is way too big for what I want (a true pocket 9)... which also starts to rule out the guns that are only slightly smaller, such as the G43, Shield, and XDS.

I can currently get the CM9 for 266 shipped. At 5.46" x 4" x .9", could this be the 9 I am looking for? Am I overlooking another obvious choice?

The PM9 is literally twice as much, and after checking out the differences, I honestly don't see anything to merit twice the price.

Same with the 938. It certainly looks to be a superior gun, but 550-600 on a pocket gun seems a bit excessive (assuming the CM9 and 938 would at least be in somewhat similar territory reliability-wise... if not, I will gladly spend the extra to buy a bit more peace of mind).

I get that the CM9 is a budget gun, and that's just fine by me. However, as would be assumed, reliability and shootability are non-negotiable on a defensive weapon.

Any input on the CM9, whether good, bad, whatever?

Thanks folks!
I had a PM9. Sold it after 4 months trying to break it in. It was 98% reliable, difficult to shoot accurately and painful to practice with. It has a long, long trigger pull. I find that a Shield conceals very very well, so does a P238 or P938. The 238 is the only gun I pocket, other than a Beretta Pico

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the varying opinions here on the Kahr pistols pehaps someone can chime in here. The Gander here is closing and has 3 used K9s reduced to $299. One magazine each not sure if there is a box- They are definitely used and show some wear. What about the price?

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by paulbriand:
With the varying opinions here on the Kahr pistols pehaps someone can chime in here. The Gander here is closing and has 3 used K9s reduced to $299. One magazine each not sure if there is a box- They are definitely used and show some wear. What about the price?

That is a spectacular price for a spectacular handgun. Where are you located?

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redford1970:
I had a PM9. Sold it after 4 months trying to break it in. It was 98% reliable, difficult to shoot accurately and painful to practice with. It has a long, long trigger pull. I find that a Shield conceals very very well, so does a P238 or P938. The 238 is the only gun I pocket, other than a Beretta Pico

My PM9 is 100% reliable after the break-in period using the standard 6 round mags - the 7 rounds mags have a bad rep. I find it ridiculously accurate, and the trigger pull length simply works for me. I agree it is not the most comfortable pistol to shoot for extended periods, but there are solutions if you plan to shoot more than 100 rounds or so - pinky extenders, rubber grip wraps, etc. Money well spent in my case.

At that price, a CM9 represents one of the best values out there, IMO.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely LOVE my Kahr PM9 ! I ordered one of the 1st all black slide models available, & have been carrying it ever since. Had a few ftf's during it's initial 100rds, but soon after it ran 100%. I've fired many assorted loads in it, from 115 FMJ, 115 JHP+P+, 124 GDHP+P, & 147HST+P, ALL without any problems. Just remember to follow the initial 200 or so rd break in period. I have MANY other handguns, but the 2 I use on a daily basis are my Kahr PM9 & my S&W M642. I recently retired, & just don't feel the need to lug around anything heavier & bulkier. Pick up either a PM9 or CM9, YOU shouldn't be disappointed. The only actual difference with the CM9 is the slide is not as sculpted / 'melted' as well as the PM, the CM's barrel is not rifled via the polygonal method,the CM's front sight isn't 'dovetailed' into the slide, but peened on or similarly affixed, & finally the CM9 is shipped wkth only 1 magazine, as opposed to the PM9's 2 magazines. Those I think are the only real differences between the PM9 & CM9 models.

Posts: 156 | Location: New England Region, of USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post