SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kahr CM9 or...?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kahr CM9 or...? Login/Join 
Picture of Sammael
posted
Greets all:

Looking to move away from my LCP and .380 into a *very* small single stack 9. As close in size as I can get to an LCP, in fact.

I currently own (and carry from time to time) a G26, which is awfully hard to beat (mag interchangeability, shootability, reliability, etc.).

That being said, the G26 is way too big for what I want (a true pocket 9)... which also starts to rule out the guns that are only slightly smaller, such as the G43, Shield, and XDS.

I can currently get the CM9 for 266 shipped. At 5.46" x 4" x .9", could this be the 9 I am looking for? Am I overlooking another obvious choice?

The PM9 is literally twice as much, and after checking out the differences, I honestly don't see anything to merit twice the price.

Same with the 938. It certainly looks to be a superior gun, but 550-600 on a pocket gun seems a bit excessive (assuming the CM9 and 938 would at least be in somewhat similar territory reliability-wise... if not, I will gladly spend the extra to buy a bit more peace of mind).

I get that the CM9 is a budget gun, and that's just fine by me. However, as would be assumed, reliability and shootability are non-negotiable on a defensive weapon.

Any input on the CM9, whether good, bad, whatever?

Thanks folks!

Posts: 571 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a CM9 in my pocket now. I find it and the CW9 accurate and reliable. Highly recommend.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a PM9 that I bought before the CM9's were available. I'm very happy with the PM9 and carry it often. It's accurate and very reliable. That being said, I'd have no problem saving the money to buy a CM9 today. My advice is to purchase the CM9 and never look back

Posts: 84 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have a CM9 and I'm very happy with it. I still don't have even 100 rounds thru it but it's been 100% so far. Very good trigger action on it and the slide is easier to rack than Kahr's .380's. I did learn from my (now sold) CT380 - it's important to keep the striker channel clean. I haven't tried to remove the striker - I just use Rem Oil on the channel then blast it all out with canned air.

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have and carry a CM9 often. It is very compact, and also very light weight (14 oz) and I pocket carry it with a pocket holster. Mine has been totally reliable, accurate, and I can carry it when I would not be able to carry anything bigger...

Character is doing the right thing even when no one else will know...

Posts: 50 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I have a CM9, PM9 and MK9, its as small a 9mm as you can get that reliable with a good trigger and quality fit and finish.

Id also note Ive hear od of many more issues with 938s than the CM/PM series of Kahrs.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
I have the MK9 and PM9 and have been very happy with both. The PM9 is so relatively light I sometimes forget I've got it with me. The CM9 would have the same carry characteristics.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Another "thumbs-up" for the CM9.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
I have both the CM9 and the PM9. Both are excellent, reliable little pistols. The PM9 is slightly shorter in overall length. it's not much, but to me it makes a difference so I carry the PM. In a belt holster, I'd have no preference, but in the pocket, PM is better.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Another CM9 user here. I replaced a J-frame ankle gun with the CM9. It is the same size, flatter, and shoots more accurately than the J-frame.

On the rare occasion that I pocket carry, the CM9 is the one I choose. I have it in a kydex pocket holster a friend made up.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Love my CM9 with laser.

And with an extended mag it's comfy on the range.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I'd love a Mk9 but settled for a CM9. Its a great choice. Takes about 150-200 rounds to break it in. Disappears totally in a shoulder Rig and comfortable in a ankle holster too.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have its brother a Kahr MK9. They are very accurate and reliable.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...3+CM9+6%2B1+9mm+3%22

$260

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have and prefer to carry my G26 (love it!) for the reasons you stated, WHEN possible. But most times, I have my LCP in my pocket for utmost discretion. As you know, the LCP truly disappears. I had a CM9 which operated fine, but I got rid of it for 2 reasons. 1) It seemed like it was going to be close in size to the LCP, but it carries "much bigger" print-wise, and in weight, swinging the pockets of pants that aren't snug. 2) The slide started shaving the plastic on the frame. It cleaned off OK and seemed to stop, but shook my confidence a little too much. Just my experience.

All that said, if you do get one and are looking to keep things as slim as possible for pocket carry, I highly recommend the Recluse One-Sided pocket holster. The leather face cuts down on printing significantly, and the retention via the trigger-block is solid. Plus, when you decide to take a grip on your gun in your pocket, it is now separated from the holster during the gripping process.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned a CM9 and a Ruger LC9, pocket carried both, kept the LC9; sold the CM9.
The CM was 100% reliable as is the LC. I just liked the ergonomics etc. better on the LC.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I.ve carried the CM9 and thought it was a great carry gun. I now have the MK9 and K9 to carry as well as a T9 for fun and range. Obviously I like the Kahr pistols. All have been reliable and accurate.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2767 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kahr CM9 or...

ANYTHING ELSE!! I cannot believe this company is still in business. 10+ Kahr guns owned in the past 20 years and not a single one of them have been reliable. Fool me once shame on me, fool me 10 times...

To be honest, I run my carry guns 1000-3000 rounds before I even think about carrying them, to include about 500 rounds of the hollow point ammo I plan on using.

I have a VERY deep suspicion that the folks that actually like their Kahr pistol have maybe put a box of ammo through them. Maybe. These things shit the bed hard.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bubbatime,

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
S&W CS9. Better trigger and bet your life reliable. Unlike ANY Kahr pistol I have ever shot. Good luck with your search! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with the CM9. I have one plus an older PM9, I can't tell the difference. That and my LCP fit in a pocket inside DeSantis Nemesis, spare mag is in the other pocket. The CM9 also hides well in SmartCarry.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The PM/CM9 is one of a very few subcompact 9mms that is the right size and shape for a pocket. Others are thinner but longer in height and length, others are so thick it looks as if you have a thick paperback book in your pocket. The thing you have to remember about pocket carry is that it isn't enough that the gun simply fits into the pocket, you need to be able to get your fist around the grip as well. One of pocket carry's virtues is that you can already have your hand on the gun without telegraphing it. Now, on the down side, and my own limited experience seems to bear this out, plastic Kahrs seem to have more problems than the steel ones. You may or may not get a good one the first time. I never had any cycling problems with my E9, but the PM9 had to go back because it seldom cycled more than three successive shots.

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post