SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Colt SAA question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt SAA question Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
I know that to load a Colt SAA one needs to cock the hammer back 2 clicks so the cylinder can move freely right? Well can you open the loading gate with the hammer all the way down/forward? Or should it be locked?

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I believe the loading gate is held open or shut by a spring loaded detent, and it is not connected to the firing mechanism, therefore it doesn't "lock" shut when the hammer is down.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I believe the loading gate is held open or shut by a spring loaded detent, and it is not connected to the firing mechanism, therefore it doesn't "lock" shut when the hammer is down.

What he said, at least on Colts and their copies. With Rugers opening the loading gate allows loading or unloading to occur.

By the way, here is an old cowboy trick to safe carrying of a SAA. Bring the hammer back to halfcock, open the loading gate, load the first chamber, skip the next one, load the next four, bring the hammer to fullcock and lower it, it will come to rest on the empty chamber. It isn’t advisable to carry a SAA with the hammer resting on a loaded chamber.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Okay thanks. Is it a button you have to push or just a slight detent to overcome with pulling gate out?

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
It's a detent. Push on the inside edge (edge nearest to the hammer) of the loading gate with thumb or forefinger, and it will pop open to the right, then load as indicated by clubleaf. Unloading is accomplished the same way; hammer back to 2nd notch so that cylinder will rotate; index ejector rod for each loaded chamber, pushing the case out through the open loading gate.

With any SAA style gun at half cock, always pull the hammer back to full cock before lowering it, rather than lowering from the half cock notch. If you don't fully cock the hammer, the bolt will remain in the lifted position, and leave a drag line on the cylinder as it rotates. If you do the full cock and release, the bolt will retract into the frame, and re-engage the cylinder in it's proper relief notch.

I understand that on new model Ruger SAA style guns, opening the loading gate itself releases the cylinder to rotate, and there is no half-cock notch. I don't know this for sure, however as I haven't handled one of these guns. All my Ruger experience is with the first generation, non-transfer bar guns.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Okay thanks guys!

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is worth repeating that Colt SAAs and copies should not be carried with one in the chamber. The firing pin rests on the primer with the hammer all the way down. There is a "safety notch" in which the hammer is back enough so that the pin is not on the primer, but people decided pretty quickly that the notch was not adequate protection. Thus the practice of only loading five.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It is worth repeating that Colt SAAs and copies should not be carried with one in the chamber unless they have been fitted with a transfer bar safety. Such as the Colt Cowboy, or many of the Uberti models. . The firing pin rests on the primer with the hammer all the way down. There is a "safety notch" in which the hammer is back enough so that the pin is not on the primer, but people decided pretty quickly that the notch was not adequate protection. Thus the practice of only loading five.

Fixed it for you. Wink

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:I understand that on new model Ruger SAA style guns, opening the loading gate itself releases the cylinder to rotate, and there is no half-cock notch.

That is correct.

OTOH: I had a salesman at Dick's actually grab a Vaquero from my hands as I opened the gate and turned the cylinder to confirm it was empty. He lectured me on the "proper" way to do it with the hammer in the (non-existent) half cock notch. Of course, he couldn't get the hammer to stay so advised me that it was necessary to hold the hammer halfway back to turn the cylinder. Not sure what his plan was for actually inserting ammo with both hands occupied. Dumbass.....

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is worth repeating that Colt SAAs and copies should not be carried with one in the chamber. The firing pin rests on the primer with the hammer all the way down. There is a "safety notch" in which the hammer is back enough so that the pin is not on the primer, but people decided pretty quickly that the notch was not adequate protection. Thus the practice of only loading five.

I think that was carried over from the 1851s and 1860s, I think it worked alright with those, with the SAA not so much. Another neat old cowboy trick was to use the empty chamber as their “bank vault”, they would roll up a banknote, such as a $5, and stick it in there. It was often known as their “buryin’ money”.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:
It is worth repeating that Colt SAAs and copies should not be carried with one in the chamber unless they have been fitted with a transfer bar safety. Such as the Colt Cowboy, or many of the Uberti models. . The firing pin rests on the primer with the hammer all the way down. There is a "safety notch" in which the hammer is back enough so that the pin is not on the primer, but people decided pretty quickly that the notch was not adequate protection. Thus the practice of only loading five.

Fixed it for you. Wink

If they have transfer bars, they aren't Colt SAAs or copies in my mind. They are facsimiles or look-alikes, but they aren't SAAs if they don't have the old Colt lockwork. Even Colt gave their version a new name. They may be improvements, even. But they aren't the real thing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they have transfer bars, they aren't Colt SAAs or copies in my mind. They are facsimiles or look-alikes, but they aren't SAAs if they don't have the old Colt lockwork. Even Colt gave their version a new name. They may be improvements, even. But they aren't the real thing.

I see your point.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:

Fixed it for you. Wink

Worth repeating and worth further mentioning that one prominent forum member almost died from a gunshot wound to the leg from a true accidental discharge with a Colt SAA copy while carrying with six loaded chambers, and IIRC, it was on half-cock and holstered when he either fell or bumped the hammer. I won't name the forum member, but I'll name the gun: JP Sauer & Sohn Western Marshall.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Worth repeating and worth further mentioning that one prominent forum member almost died from a gunshot wound to the leg from a true accidental discharge with a Colt SAA copy while carrying with six loaded chambers, and IIRC, it was on half-cock and holstered when he either fell or bumped the hammer. I won't name the forum member, but I'll name the gun: JP Sauer & Sohn Western Marshall.
I don't see how that can be. The Sauer Western Marshal is a transfer bar design.

Regarding the loading gate of the Peacemaker, some old timers used holsterless carry of the Peacemaker by opening the loading gate and using it as a catch when they stuck the gun in their waistband. The open gate kept the revolver from slipping down in their pants. If you have to pull it quickly in this condition, the Peacemaker will fire with the loading gate open.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I don't see how that can be. The Sauer Western Marshal is a transfer bar design.

Thanks, Para, my memory of the gun might be off. Thinking about it, it might've been a Hawes. "German SAA" and "Western Marshall" were my fetch codes on that one. I do remember that this member, and his brother have talked about the incident a few times over my tenure here. They're birds of a feather, those two....

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think this video sums up why 5 is the way to go if you carry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldHPNnsp-cs

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a great video. I always knew the load one skip one routine but having never owned a SAA I didn’t realize how little effort it would take to launch a round downrange. He didn’t seem to tap the hammer all that hard. Kind of eye opening. Of course I can’t afford a SAA so it’s a moot point but great video nonetheless.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post