SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Para Ordnance info
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Para Ordnance info Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
I’m curious as to what the build quality was like on Para Ordnance 1911’s *before* Remington killed it. I’ve always liked the little Warthog they use to make.

Thanks!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
A Deputy friend of mine purchased a Para Warthog in 45, new in box back around 2005-6. He wanted a 45 for off duty/court days.

We went to the local range to wring it out. First shot - his gun fired then stopped. The outside of the recoil spring tunnel in the slide had fractured with the recoil spring assembly going down range.

IIRC, he went round and round with Para Ordnance to get it fixed/replaced. Eventually they did replace the gun. And he promptly dumped it at the next gunshow.

IMO, Para had interesting designs - LDA, Double stack compacts ect - but extremely poor QA/QC. They are not missed. Good luck! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Bummer, that’s a shame. Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it.

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It was a long time ago (circa 1999 or 2000), but I had a P12-45 that not only would not fire more than two consecutive shots, but chewed a hole in my hand. It wasn't hammer bite, more like pinching or abrading by the grip safety. No more P-O for me.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Hey.

I spent some quality time working at a gun shop, but also I've enjoyed many 1911s for years.

I would never recommend a Para Ord to a friend.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Solid engineering, worthless quality control. Just my opinion. You can make a really nice pistol using the para frame kits.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Garbage. I've seen unfired guns that wouldn't lock a magazine into place and others that wouldn't lock the slide back. I'm talking brand new guns.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a P18 9mm, I tried to make a go of it.

I replaced the magazine innards with Arredondo innards and then they worked better but $$$. I had to get a new slide stop. Gun came with a fitted Kart 38 Super barrel that I had to use the old slide stop with.

It was alot of work, fun to shoot, and I learned a few things. I sold it 5 years ago, just too much hassle.

A friend of mine has a 45ACP and he uses it in matches and it runs for him. I'm afraid to ask what our gunsmith had to do to get it running well.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two LTCs in 9mm. One wouldn't run well until I removed the series 80 safety parts. It was made in Pineville. The second one is from Canada and has never had a failure.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Well, so much for my Warthog aspirations. I appreciate all the feedback. I guess I’ll look at the new baby Rock Island 1911 coming out. It’s basically a clone of the Warthog..except it should function!

RTG Parts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I’m curious as to what the build quality was like on Para Ordnance 1911’s *before* Remington killed it. I’ve always liked the little Warthog they use to make.

Thanks!

I had nothing but bad experiences with the two factory Para Ordnance pistols I have owned. Could never get them to function properly. In my opinion, Run Away!

NRA LIFE MEMBER - NSSF MEMBER

www.RobertRTG.com for the best prices on HK, AK, MG42, Uzi parts and more.

Posts: 459 | Location: Sheridan, Wyoming | Registered: March 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 1st gun was a P13, great carry gun on paper...never could get it to run reliability.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I have owned three Para 1911's. My first was a 1911 LTC Commander made in Canada. Finnish did not hold up well, but it worked fine. I had a stainless 1911 full size and only shot it a few times and no issues. I got another 1911 LTC Commander about a year or two before Remington bought them. I have put about 1,000 rounds through it with no issues.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Have a P-12 purchased new in 93 or 94 when first introduced. Ejected brass would cut my forehead and chip my glasses.
Wayne Berquist tuned it and it has been flawless except for an extractor tune. It went through training classes firing 1500 rounds in a weekend, no issues. Still have it.
IMO they made one salvageable gun.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
I had a P18 9mm, I tried to make a go of it.

I replaced the magazine innards with Arredondo innards and then they worked better but $$$. I had to get a new slide stop. Gun came with a fitted Kart 38 Super barrel that I had to use the old slide stop with.

It was alot of work, fun to shoot, and I learned a few things. I sold it 5 years ago, just too much hassle.

A friend of mine has a 45ACP and he uses it in matches and it runs for him. I'm afraid to ask what our gunsmith had to do to get it running well.

For years I wanted a P 18 but it was so danged expensive. I used to look at the catalog like Sears at Christmas. Several times I almost bought the mags from CDNN for future use. I wanted that LDA trigger like a nerd wants the high school prom queen. Then a used P 18 showed up at the LGS, less expensive but still spendy. As I held the long-wanted P 18 the thought occurred, 'this does not do anything more than CZ/Steyr/HK/Sig/Glock/XD... ' The spell was broken.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
In 2003 or 2004 I bought a new CCW 745 LDA. Beautiful weapon. (I might have sent it back for feed ramp polishing, as I recall speaking with their North Carolina technicians.)

Later I had a pre-owned but new-looking double stack, the P10-40. 100% perfect. Sold it to a enthusiastic collector who loved it.

A third I bought used, the C7.45 LDA. From a New England gun shop, it came to me filthy and rattling like a jalopy. It took a week to get them on the phone but it went back for a refund.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I had a P12 and a P14 frame with a SA barrel and slide.

I bought both of these back in the mid '90s. The P14 didn't like aluminum cased ammo, but other than that, ran like a raped ape. No problems with the P12 either, but I hardly ever carried it so I sold it to an Army buddy.

The Para Ord parts appeared to be made of a lower grade metal, but like I said, they always ran fine.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:

CCW 745 LDA
P10-40
Also I owned the C6.45LDA "Para Carry" with the 3" barrel for a time. Other than being a handful to shoot, I do not remember anything wrong with it.

The Para Carry is a sexy gun; I remember at the time people bitching about the LDA trigger and inadequate striker force, but I shot lots and lots of FMJ from my handguns back then, and they always fed and ejected properly

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
The Rock Island 3.10 will be hitting the distributors any time now. I think it will scratch my Warthog itch. Lots of interesting replies... I appreciate them!

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/bbr-series/BBR-3.10

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned 2 Canadian P14-45s, one stainless standard and one blued Limited. Both have been great with original mags. Recent mags need some love to the followers.

I wouldn’t buy an American Para without a steep discount and hands-on eval.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post