SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anodizing a Sig Framer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anodizing a Sig Framer Login/Join 
posted
I have a Sig P-226 and had the frame Hard Chromed,and found that the Chrome was flaking off at the rails.

Sent it back to the finisher and they stated they could not apply the chrome again and would have to anodize it. Just got it back the other day and am not at all happy with the results. Blotchy looking, scratches, and some of the black is rubbing off.

Does anyone know if I can have this anodized again? Or Hard Chromed? I understand that the aluminium can only plated so many times before it loses it's strength.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Posts: 10 | Location: USA | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you might want to look for a new P226.

SIG doesn't re-annodize and very few others do as I know it.

Just too hard / not enough demand / etc / etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I was not aware that aluminum frames could be hard chromed. Virgil Tripp wouldn’t do it, anyway.

At this point, I might be tempted to send it to CCR and see what they recommend.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a few out there that will do it, but my main concern is the integrity of the frame breaking down.

Posts: 10 | Location: USA | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who is CCR?

quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I was not aware that aluminum frames could be hard chromed. Virgil Tripp wouldn’t do it, anyway.

At this point, I might be tempted to send it to CCR and see what they recommend.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Just learned that Metal Finishers of Atlanta does excellent job on re-anodizing alloy frame. Might want to check them out, if you want to go that direction.

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My want to try Robar, NP3 finish is phenomenal.

Posts: 172 | Registered: January 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
An alloy frame can be hard chromed...sort of. You first have to apply electroless nickel then hard chrome over the nickel. To do that the factory anodizing needs to be stripped off which I don’t recommend. I have seen Beretta frames that Allegheny Gun Works has had re-anodized and they look fantastic. I don’t think he does it in house but might be able to tell you who he sends them to.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Had one HC'd by APW, if done properly, it should not flake.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Had one HC'd by APW, if done properly, it should not flake.

Yep. Same here. AP&W circa 1996 hardchromed 228 with no flaking.

Beware the bumper chrome bandits Frown

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had some of my Sig's chromed by APW in the past. He does first class work.
On this particular Sig I had someone else Chrome the frame and found it to be flaking at the rails.
I sent it back and they stated that they would have to anodize it as the Chrome probably would not hold.
Not happy with the Anodizing I am now wondering what the next step would be as I have been told that you cannot reanodize a frame.
I know I should have stayed APW, but what is done is done. Just looking to get this frame right.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Talk to Josh at AAGW. He reanodized an Inox Beretta 92 for me that had turned black on the back strap due to hand salts (came to me that way).

The vendor he uses does a better job than factory ano and it was only $140 or so

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Who is AAGW? Where are they located?

posted Hide Post
PGT - Greetings - AAGW re-anodized it in clear, or did it have to be black? Thanks!

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhkunkel:
Thanks. Who is AAGW? Where are they located?
I believe PGT is referring to Allegheny Arms & Gun Works. They're in Bethel Park, PA

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank You. I appreciate the info.

posted Hide Post
I prefer it to be black with a soft sheen. Am I asking for too much?

Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Re-anodizing an aluminum frame is a very hard process.
I believe EGW used to do it too, until the heat process (Or however it works) actually melted 4 frames, including a Ted Yost frame.

It stands the chance of destroying the frame, if not done correctly.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post