SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1:10 or 1:16 twist for 9mm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1:10 or 1:16 twist for 9mm Login/Join 
posted
An American Handgunner story has me wondering.
http://americanhandgunner.com/a-tale-of-two-nines/

would one or the other help you choose which gun ?

why wouldn't they all be 1:12? and call it good.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
1 : 10 is standard for copper jacket factory loads.= service/sd pistols.
1 : 16 is a compromise for copper jacket and lead projectiles. = plinker/sporter pistols.
1 : 20 is for lead projectiles = matchguns

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we you 're a pretty handy guy to have around, thanks.

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. Georg Luger and DWM thought a 10 twist was suitable.

2. Colt thought a 16 twist was ample, it had worked in for John Browning in .38 Super.

3. S&W found an 18 3/4 twist adequate for .38 Special. Although they have reverted to 10 in recent production of 9mm.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if, when you special order a custom barrel,
can you stipulate which twist rate that you want?

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
sure you can. The question is what are you are expecting from the result and how much effort you want to put into the optimization of your ammo to get the result you desire. Optimizing ammo performance to a standard barrel will bring you as good results but its cheaper.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How custom are you talking about?
Individually machined out of a blank for huge cost? Any twist you want.

Specific name brand finished barrel? Not necessarily.

SOME finished barrel? A little choice by picking brand.

All Barstos are 16", don't know about Kart.
KKM has a selection although I don't know if all available for one particular caliber.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Bendable, I don't pretend to have independent knowledge about what twist is best, but I read a lot. Schumann Barrels has information that may be pertinent to your question, along with a variety of twist options available.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post