SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hoppes 9 Gun Bore Cleaner
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoppes 9 Gun Bore Cleaner Login/Join 
The Truth
Picture of Luis
posted
Anyone use it for other than cleaning just the bbl? Is it ok to use on the rails as lube? Im talking about the ripe banana smelling juice.

The reason I ask is because no matter how hard I tried to thoroughly clean my pistol it still smells too much like burnt propellant. That Hoppes 9 finishes up smelling very sweet and pleasant. Brings back childhood memories of when I started shooting guns.

I used to use Break Free CLP because it did a nice job of removing the odor of burnt propellant and smelled pleasant too. But the new formulation is acrid smelling. I did, however, find something that is very close to the old Break Free CLP. Its the new Hoppes 9 Bore Snake CLP. The problem with it is it did not remove the odor of propellant. Im about to try the overly ripe banana smelling Hoppes 9. TIA

Posts: 4328 | Location: A hop, skip and a jump from the bayou. S East Tx, USA | Registered: October 13, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
it is a cleaner (Hoppe's #9 Bore Cleaner) and not a lube so as a lube it would fail...

https://www.hoppes.com/Hoppes/...uide_Final_Lores.pdf

I'm sure Hoppe's and others will have a separate lube to your liking...good luck,

Bill

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2410 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
What SiGagain said. Personally, I've used TW25B for years.

ETA: Hoppes makes a gun grease, also.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I absolutely would not recommend Hoppes #9 as a lubricant. After cleaning your firearms, wipe them down with isopropyl alcohol, which should help remove any odor, and then lubricate with oil and/or grease. What's so wrong with a firearm smelling of propellant, anyway?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may use it as a lubricant, but it would be a poor quality one and its duration dependent on your firing schedule. In an emergency you could even use vagasil, no intent to be funny.

I suggest that you utilize a lubricant specifically developed for firearms. I've used SLIP2000 lubricants (and cleaners) since 2008 with excellent results. There is little or no odor.

Others will be along soon to recommend auto transmission fluid, motor oil (synthetic & regular) and a litany of other products. I can't comment on them as I have no experience. See what works for you and have at it.

I have moved away from petroleum based lubricants and cleaners, but not eliminated them completely. Take note of the warnings on them relating to cancer(s). When I was in LE, we would call this a "clue".

HTH

Posts: 81 | Location: SW PA USA | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Truth
Picture of Luis
posted Hide Post
I hadnt seen the Hoppes grease. TW25b is hard to find around here. I havent seen it in any stores yet. Ill try the Hoppes grease if I can find it.

I figured the solvent wouldnt be a good idea because its really low viscosity among other things. My other assumption would be to use a light grease for the rails? And only a small dab in a few areas? Well, as per the instruction booklet thats included with the pistol? TIA

Posts: 4328 | Location: A hop, skip and a jump from the bayou. S East Tx, USA | Registered: October 13, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
This is one of those topics about which I long ago learned to read the original post, add my own comments, and leave it at that. As someone here once posted, “It’s almost as if you guys find it romantic in a way, to not clean your rifles.”

Although I use other methods of cleaning other barrels, removable pistol barrels get immersed in the original Hoppe’s #9 for a few days and then wiped clean in and out. They end up completely clean with no scrubbing, etc. So yes, I still use the stuff, but for only that purpose. I use proper lubricants for lubricating.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Olive jars are good for soaking barrels in Hoppes #9.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Truth
Picture of Luis
posted Hide Post
Those lil mason jars? That seems about right for a barrel.

I found some grease! At Academy! Its the Hoppes 9 Black. Step 4 High-Performance Gun Grease! I likely wont use it because I really dont know how and where to apply it but ill keep it on hand anyway. Yall guys can guide me on how to apply it. Thanks!

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luis:
Yall guys can guide me on how to apply it. Thanks!

What gun are we talking about? I lube my Glock and Sigs a bit differently.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luis:
I really dont know how and where to apply it ....

Although the photos unfortunately no longer display properly, the below post by one-time active member Flork has some good information. In short, his advice is just what I received the first time I attended a SIG armorer course some 17 years ago: put a good lube (I prefer grease on SIG Classic line pistols) wherever two pieces of metal rub together. The specifics vary among different guns, but that’s the general rule that applies to them all. For autoloading pistols, two critical areas are first the outside of the barrel where it contacts the slide as it moves back and forth, and second where the slide and frame rails rub together.

Can you have too little lube? Absolutely. It is probably the most common reason for operating malfunctions in autoloading firearms.
Can you have too much lube? Yes—assuming it’s dripping out the bottom of your holster or splattering on your glasses when shooting. If you’re a combat soldier who might have to operate in areas with sandstorms or the like, then cutting back on excess lube that will collect the dirt and grit, especially in the places on the gun where it’s not necessary, will also probably be a good idea. Or at the other end of things, heavy grease should not be used on low powered guns in cold temperatures.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...30601935/m/908103701

TW-25B is a good light grease for carry purposes and it’s readily available online.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
The next generation of firearm cleaners and lubes will probably be green plant based, smelling of strawberries and rose petals. Razz For now, use the appropriate product for the specific job while you can.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Not trying to be a dick
But how do you get to over 4,200 post's in 19 years here and never read about cleaning and lube on your gun?

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
Not trying to be a dick
But how do you get to over 4,200 post's in 19 years here and never read about cleaning and lube on your gun?

Excellent point, something is going on here...

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If the OP wants to use a CLP, there are plenty out there besides Break Free. The old fashioned #9 cleaner is not one of them. It's just a powder solvent. Hoppes does make a CLP called Gun Medic. There are many others. Two that come immediately to mind are Ballistol and Hornady One Shot. Depending on the gun in question, they may give the gun enough lubrication (thinking Glock.) Some guns need more vicosity, calling for grease if extended range sessions. Aluminum framed SIGs come immediately to mind.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could also use just a gun oil. I either clean my guns with breakfree CLP and call it good. Otherwise I use hopes #9 and a gun oil afterwards......gun oils generally don't smell much if at all.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what to say to OP. You're joking right? Bananas smelling? Don't know where to and what to lube? Yu like the pleasant smell? Are you going on a date or shooting and cleaning a weapon?

Posts: 50 | Location: Bluffton, SC | Registered: March 29, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by paularmola:
I don't know what to say to OP. You're joking right? Bananas smelling? Don't know where to and what to lube? You like the pleasant smell? Are you going on a date or shooting and cleaning a weapon?

Posts: 50 | Location: Bluffton, SC | Registered: March 29, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Hoppes is a cleaner akin to kerosene.

Good to clean with, but use a real lubricant afterwards.

be it grease or oil from motor oil to real "gun" oil, but all weapons need some form of lube...and Hoppes ain't it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Truth
Picture of Luis
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks to all who contributed with positive and constructive info. I think I got it. I appreciate it, fellas!