SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    p232 promags
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

p232 promags Login/Join 
posted
Thoughts on promag magazines for the p232?
I haven't been able to locate any SIG mags that aren't far too expesive.

Posts: 19 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Friends don't let friends buy ProMags.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are great to practice malfunction drills!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have a first-class, very nice gun in the P232. Why screw around with mags of a spotty reputation?

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
Non starter with ProMags.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"ProMag mags are junk."

I used to say that all of the time. I tend to still think it. But in a 'what the hell moment', last fall I bought a couple of G17 Promag 17rd magazines and tried them out in my G45. $7.99 apiece, on sale. Less than a lunch at your typical trendy foody joint. Go hungry for a day, maybe find out something useful. But frankly I wasn't expecting much.

First range visit out a few days later with my G45: they actually worked reliably. Shocking. That I wasn't expecting. Only 140 rounds through both that first time out (100 S&B 115gr, 20 124gr HST, 20 124gr +P Gold Dot), but in 280 rounds, no failures. Up until the shutdown, I've gotten 660 rounds through one, 755 rounds through the other; used in my G17, G34 and G45, as well as a couple of my G19s; still waiting on the first failure. Likely will try them in my G26 and a coworker's PC Carbine this coming weekend. Given my experiences so far, I'm not expecting them to have problems...but it's ProMag, right?

And therein lies the REAL problem with ProMag magazines. Even if you experience no problems with a particular magazine or two, given the negative reputation that ProMag magazines in general have (and up until now deservedly so), will you ever develop a real trust with them? Even if I shoot the snot out of these two to the point and round count that it comes time to refresh the innards as I would with any factory G17 mag, will I still carry a measure of distrust with the new parts? Most probably yes. Reputations are a hard thing to overcome.

YMMV, but I'd say you're better off with the spendy factory mags. It's what I went with after I bought my own P232 a few years back.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Nope. And hell nope. With a double side order of nope, smothered in nope sauce.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If you need magazines for an older, discontinued, obsolete or downright oddball pistol, sometimes ProMag (or Triple K) is your only choice. I've never had any luck with either brand (albeit a small sampling), however. But it can't hurt to try one. Who knows, you might get lucky and have it actually work. Check the vendor's return policy first. Razz

You ought to still be able to get OEM mags for this gun, however. As for the price, well, there's no such thing as a cheap hobby.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I bought a ProMag for a Desert Eagle 44 and Beretta .22 and both are hit and miss for function.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I think the obvious deduction from the post above is:
You get what you pay for.... I know it hurts the wallet a bit but Sig mags for the P232 are the way to go...

I remember when i bought my P230 many many years ago (15) and it came with I think just one magazine and I decided I wanted another one... $50!!!!

Hey just win the auction coming up for the P230 and it comes with two magazines and they will work on your P232 also...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the opinions. I will continue to look for factory.
One with the pistol and the lgs had a new factory one for $35, which I bought.

Posts: 19 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Seems like the mags are selling for almost $100 now for factory. You got a deal.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
Seems like the mags are selling for almost $100 now for factory. You got a deal.

Yeah. At that price, buy a bunch!

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post