SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    RANGE FULL SIZE 9MM.....POSSIBLE COMPETITION
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RANGE FULL SIZE 9MM.....POSSIBLE COMPETITION Login/Join 
posted
NEED SOME ADVICE

LOOKING FOR A 4- 4.5"
RANGE 9MM
MAYBE SOME OUTDOOR COMPETITION

HAVE MANY CARRY'S ALEADY

SIG P320 FULL SIZE
HK VP9
FN FNS 9 NO SAFETY
GLOCK 17

NOT REALLY INTERESTED IN THE GLOCK 34, 1911'S OR SIG P210

ANY THOUGHTS????

Posts: 900 | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Hopefully there are a couple of gun ranges near you that offer handgun rentals. Shoot all of these, and any other full size 9mm they have and learn what feels best in your hand and which has the best POI to POA for you.

For example, I do better with a small grip module on my P320 Compact than when I shoot using a medium grip module. The actual size difference between these grip modules really isn't huge, but for me the results certainly are better when I use the smaller grip module.

Same is true with sights, there are some sights that increase my accuracy over others.

Figure out what works best for you, then train to improve your skills.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At this moment? Based on personal experience including years of IDPA competition and what I've spent my own money on:

1. Walther PPQ 5"/PPQ Q5 5"
2. Springfield XDM 5.25"
3. Sig P320 X-Five FS/X-VTAC

If you're feeling frisky, I nice big hunking metal CZ would also make the list.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 970 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
It depends on the competition. USPSA Carry Optics, get a SIG 320 RX or a 320 X5 and get a Romeo 1, USPSA Production, I'd be all over a CZ Shadow 2 or maybe a SIG 320 X5. The nice thing about Carry Optics is you don't have the mag restriction like Production has, so you can load up 20+ round mags and blast away.

I'm partial to my SIGs, I love my 226s and 320s and shoot them very well. Any of the above should work for a range gun.

I'm not a Glock guy, but guys I shoot with do very well with them.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The CZ P09 is a hell of a lot of gun for the money. I shoot it better than any of my other full size pistols.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig P226 Stainless Elite. My favorite range/match gun.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
How about a beretta? Or a 226?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3207 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest GLOCK just because they're the only manufacturer I can think of that uses ALL CAPS.

Definitely the right fit for you.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting my first competition on Sunday. It's a steel match. I've been wanting to do this for a while and I'm finally making the time. I'll be using the S&W 5906 I recently acquired.

I went to a match to observe and I thought it would be dominated by striker fired guns. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was not the case at all. There was a pretty good mix but a lot of CZ's. I think one kid had a Czechmate Parrot.

Personally, I'd use my carry gun and compete against myself over time. Since I'm in NJ and can't carry, it will be the nightstand pistols for me.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by searay215:
NEED SOME ADVICE
ANY THOUGHTS????

After that, maybe a CZ.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:
Sig P226 Stainless Elite. My favorite range/match gun.

^^ +1

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't that about EVERY service pistol made. And about a zillion other ones. Maybe a bit of criteria??
In any case the best full size pistol ever made is a 226. so there.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
How about a beretta? Or a 226?

I second the Beretta. My son has shot my armory of handguns (essentially every brand) and he can shoot two like lasers =

1. Monolith Les Baer 1911
2. Beretta 92G (W/C Brig Tac)

Nothing too special about the Beretta, but, oh my goodness does it do what you want it to at the range.

Posts: 559 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scottbadger
posted Hide Post
It's hard to go wrong with a CZ SP01. Affordable and a great range gun.

Posts: 634 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: March 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here you go, I just put this photo for someone this week somewere. A CZ 75 TS 9mm.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I’ll also vote a CZ, but I’ll say the Shadow 2

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pessimist please email me about steel matches in NJ. I am in south jersey and am very interested in checking out a match.

Sorry for the slight drift, OP.

-Jeff

Posts: 170 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
I'm shooting my first competition on Sunday. It's a steel match. I've been wanting to do this for a while and I'm finally making the time. I'll be using the S&W 5906 I recently acquired.

I went to a match to observe and I thought it would be dominated by striker fired guns. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was not the case at all. There was a pretty good mix but a lot of CZ's. I think one kid had a Czechmate Parrot.

Personally, I'd use my carry gun and compete against myself over time. Since I'm in NJ and can't carry, it will be the nightstand pistols for me.

If you can, take six magazines to the match. One magazine for each string of fire on the stage. One empty magazine for the RO/SO to hold for dropping the hammer at the end of your turn.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
[QUOTE]One empty magazine for the RO/SO to hold for dropping the hammer at the end of your turn.

Huh?

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post