SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What do you like for 1911 grips?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you like for 1911 grips? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
What material? Which texture? Standard or slim? Thumb groove or not?

Feel free to post some pics.

Posts: 32415 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VCD’s are my favorite hands down. Lots of grip when I need it but they still allow for a little hand shift for reloads or if I don’t get a perfect grip out of the holster. They look like shirt material would stick to them but it doesn’t.

I use Techwell along with their TGO IPSC magwell on my comp gun.

Posts: 166 | Registered: February 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VZs recon or gunner patterns. Thumb cut is personal preference, as I have some both ways.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2730 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I like VZ as well.

Bobtail grip by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Another vote for VZ Grips. I have their G10 Tactical Diamonds which refers to the texture. I prefer standard thickness with no thumb groove.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat, G10, Starburst pattern.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I go old school: Pachmayr.
Unless the grip front is checkered.
But I have been looking at Cool Hand grips on Amazon. Very VZ looking but much cheaper.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16001 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
If you like to really "feel" your grips like I do, VZ Operator II's.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, it kinda depends.
And older 1911, I like to keep things original. Old wood or plastic grips just have that classic look.

Newer 1911's, Simonich Gunner grips are pretty aggressive, and will stick to skin or gloves really well. VZ grips have a pretty good selection of stuff too. Hogue and Pachmyre makes a good grip too.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8315 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I have no use for slim grips. All the rest of your points fall under "it all depends on which day it is"

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I always used VZs on my 1911s, with the thumb cut because I need the reach for the mag release, but that is just a personal preference. I like the mildly textured models.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
VZ Grips Operator II for me.

I've only got one 1911. That's what I went with. I'm SUPER happy with them. Grippy but not so much that it's abrasive. Even when I get gun oil on them when cleaning. I can tell I'd be able to still shoot it no problem.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8835 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Operator series VZs aren't too aggressive for concealed carry?

VZ describes them as "Very Aggressive" and suitable for tactical and competition purposes.

As opposed to something less aggressive like Aliens, which they describe as "Medium" and suitable for carry, range, tactical, and competition.

(I realize that "grip aggressiveness" is subjective, to an extent.)

Posts: 32415 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I love 1911s. I probably own more 1911s than any other design

I know some folks frown on smooth grips as being slippery, but I have had no problems with smooth grips, especially on 1911s that have checkered/grooved front straps.

I am old fashioned and I like Ivory on blued guns and various woods on all guns.

I stay away from the various rubbers and I am just not a fan of the look of the various colored Micarta, Aluminium or G10 synthetic grips. I know others like them and that is why we have choices Smile

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Guess I'd have to add a vote for aluminum.

Posts: 9109 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I have STONER G10 grips on one 1911 and a second set of VZ G10. I prefer the former from a comfort standpoint and cost. I use only standard thickness grips with thumb relief.

I decided to try COOL HAND G10 and glad I did. They feel great in my hands and are less expensive than VZ or STONER. Plus, they included O-rings and grip screws as a bonus. So now I have two sets of COOL HAND.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: az4783054,

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Alumagrips on mine.

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use VZ Grips Operator II and the Pachmayr wrap-awound. I haven't tried the Magpul panels.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Have several, great fit... https://esmeralda.cc/

Posts: 2301 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Herrett's D45 black laquered skip-checkered grips.

Posts: 597 | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post