SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 update from Phil Strader
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 update from Phil Strader Login/Join 
posted
Hello all,

The P365 has been getting great attention since its release, as well as some helpful feedback from our customers. It has been this feedback that led Sig Sauer engineers to fine-tune the platform with outstanding results.

One matter that recently surfaced was on striker tips fracturing. Over the last 6 weeks, we have calculated that the number of fractured striker tip returns account for 0.08% (0.0008) of the P365s shipped to date. Although this number is extremely low, we ALWAYS strive for continuous improvement. After a detailed parts analysis by our vendor, it was found that an extremely small percentage of strikers were out of spec due to start-up issues. This issue has been resolved.

Some P365 customers have also noticed “primer drag”. This is a result of the fast slide speed and unlocking time of this platform. It is completely normal and has absolutely no effect on striker endurance.

We are extremely pleased with the performance of the tens of thousands of P365s that have been delivered to date. As tens of thousands more are built and shipped, we will continue to improve our product line and never settle for anything less than complete customer satisfaction.

For consumers that have any questions about the P365 or any other Sig Sauer product, please don’t hesitate to contact our customer service department at (603) 610-3000.

Posts: 4 | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
While I appreciate the update, I don’t see a solution. I’m glad the issue is resolved going forward , but how do I know if mine is one of the guns effected?

It’s a carry gun, a known issue, even at a small %, isn’t really cool. Is there a program for a replacement that we know is not out of spec? Can we send our guns in to be checked?

Or am I just expected to roll the dice on my carry gun and hope I’m not one of the few guns that are a problem?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard, Mr. Strader. And thanks for the P365 update.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Yes I would like clarification on this also. I haven’t been carrying my 365 for this reason. I don’t want to bet my life on something that might not be dependable. Can we purchase new strikers or exchange the ones we have for ones produced after the issue was resolved? Thanks

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
I also see that a problem was identified but no solution.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If yours happens to fail in a gunfight, you will be pleased to know that it was only .08 out of a hundred failure rate, and that after you're in the ground, whomever claims your pistol can have it sent back for a repair. That's some good news.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
If yours happens to fail in a gunfight, you will be pleased to know that it was only .08 out of a hundred failure rate, and that after you're in the ground, whomever claims your pistol can have it sent back for a repair. That's some good news.

Exactly! Clearly, SIG has identified and admitted this gun has a problem, no matter how small. If a problem exists, there has to be a solution. You can't just wave your hand and say, "Folks, it's a very small problem, don't worry about it ". This gun was made for self defense, not for range fun. End users must have confidence the problem was fixed. I don't recall the M11-A1, or the P225-A1, having the tiny 0.08% problems. The P227 was fine, but the 14-rounder issue was never really solved. So, most folks I'm aware of don't use it, if their lives were on the line.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
.08 out of a hundred failure rate.

But it of all guns which is probably close to 50,000 now. Not 100

So maybe 300 affected total?

Those will probably be identified relatively quickly and fixed with as many rounds people are shooting through them. I doubt they install 1 batch from a supplier at a time. They probably get combined so having specific serial number ranges may be a bit difficult

I find it pretty stand up Phil has openly commented on this in many FB pages and many forums

Thank you Sir

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the informative update. Understanding that ANY firearm can have a failure of some sort at a
ANY given time, After the first 200 trouble free rounds, I put the P365 on my hip every time I leave the house with full confidence it will do the job if needed.
Thanks for being so innovative. Make more so I can pick up a second one.
Edit: Now just over 600 trouble free rounds this gun continues to perform.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pm9,

Posts: 210 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Welcome Mr. Strader! We hope to see you post more as to updates and maybe an occasional sneak peek.
(Subliminal message to gauge the interest in a 4” 12-15 round 365......) Subliminal message complete.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Let’s say for the sake of argument that 30,000 P365s have been shipped. Eight one hundredths of one percent is 24 defective strikers found.

All things considered—-especially since the failures were attributed to early-production strikers from the supplier—-I think Sig is doing a pretty darn good job with the production of this pistol.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
Let’s say for the sake of argument that 30,000 P365s have been shipped. Eight one hundredths of one percent is 24 defective strikers found.

All things considered—-especially since the failures were attributed to early-production strikers from the supplier—-I think Sig is doing a pretty darn good job with the production of this pistol.

That des not mean 100% of the defective strikers have been found.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other than my yard today was the 1st real range trip
pros: shoots better than expected, trouble free, shot several types of ammo in it including plus p, All 100% FED HS shot the best over Gold Dot and Ranger T, also shot exact to point of aim. Several brands of FMJ including issue Nato all good, no malfunctions at all. Very accurate. 7-15yds.

Total so far about 200 trouble free shots.

Cons: trigger poundage to fire is ok but pull is very gritty feeling, magazines expensive, need holster.

Overall very pleased other than trigger gritty. It was very easy to hit with, great sights. 10 ring groups very easy to shoot at all distances shot.

Posts: 14 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: May 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1more:
Other than my yard today was the 1st real range trip
pros: shoots better than expected, trouble free, shot several types of ammo in it including plus p, All 100% FED HS shot the best over Gold Dot and Ranger T, also shot exact to point of aim. Several brands of FMJ including issue Nato all good, no malfunctions at all. Very accurate. 7-15yds.

Total so far about 200 trouble free shots.

Cons: trigger poundage to fire is ok but pull is very gritty feeling, magazines expensive, need holster.

Overall very pleased other than trigger gritty. It was very easy to hit with, great sights. 10 ring groups very easy to shoot at all distances shot.

Spray the hell out of all the inners with gun scrubber and relube. Solved that issue for me. Mine was caked with the thick white assembly grease

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The fix is easy. Let those who are concerned buy a new striker from the uneffected batch for a reduced cost.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBP55:
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:

That’s very true, not only with the P365 but with anything else that’s a manufactured item. Nothing’s 100%, unfortunately.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
That does sound like an extremely small percentage of neutered guns so far discovered. But that's only what has been reported up until now. I'd like to see what the numbers will be when these guns already in owners' hands get significantly more mileage on them, particularly with dry fire use where most of the striker breakages seem to occur.

Suggestion: have everyone who owns a P365 dry fire their gun 200 times (I pose that number because that seems to be the approximate 'magical' threshold that pops up whenever someone posts about a firing pin breakage with their striker assembly via dry fire. Once that exercise is done, THEN survey and count how many firing pin shafts have snapped away from the rest of the striker. I'm guessing that the failure needle might not stay on the .08 percent mark. Frankly if I owned a 365, at this juncture I would not begin feeling any level of confidence with the striker assembly in the gun until it had at least twice that many dry fire cycles without any sign of failure. And knowing me I'd feel better going even higher than that.

Most gun buyers don't shoot their shiny new subcompacts all that much. I'm oft amazed at how many of our customers start carrying their new tidy carry-friendly possessions without EVER firing a single bullet out of its barrel. I would surmise that fewer still practice dry fire to the sort of count level that appears to spell the end for those few faulty strikers reported so far. Once the dry fire counts get up to that level, then I believe we'll have a truer picture as to how widespread or confined this otherwise critical problem really is.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBP55:

There is no way any company can guarantee 100% of the time there will never be a failure of any kind.

Perhaps those those that live in fear of a catastrophic failure should sell their guns and carry two bats.

Posts: 210 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Strader:

One matter that recently surfaced was on striker tips fracturing...

Some P365 customers have also noticed “primer drag”. This is a result of the fast slide speed and unlocking time of this platform. It is completely normal and has absolutely no effect on striker endurance.

Can you elaborate on the “primer drag”? It certainly seems that some lateral force must be applied to the striker tip to achieve those “drag marks”. It seems to me that a striker is designed to exert force in line with its position, that is perpendicularly to the face of the primer. In other words, to strike the primer straight on. If the fast slide speed and unlocking time result in the primer being “dragged” sideways against the striker tip, how can that have no effect on striker endurance?

I’m not saying that the striker can’t be engineered to withstand this force, but it certainly seems like it is something that needs to be addressed.

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Strader,

It sure would be nice if you identified the serial numbers of "bad batch" of firing pins on the guns that might be affected. Or at least the build date range of those that might be affected along with a solution.

Posts: 178 | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post