SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Colt .38 Super LW Commander Series 70.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Colt .38 Super LW Commander Series 70. Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
Has anyone seen or purchased one of the new Colt .38 Super LW Commander, Series 70?

Looks like a limited run of 600. Not crazy about the green frame, but I am watching a couple of them.

http://www.taloinc.com/colt-fi...er-38-super-o4540xse

Anyone?

Thank you.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I like the idea but not the execution. A retro looking satin nickel finish with sandblasted wood grips and sights that are visible would do it for me.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd love a Combat Commander with a stainless steel frame. Darn it, for some reason Colt always seems to forget to make that one!

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Eeewwwww. One for the collectors, I take it?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the idea. That green frame is awful..

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 37 | Location: South FL. | Registered: February 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
So when will they be available through CDNN?

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Well, OK, you have a point. For the right price my cheap self can think of something.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
I'd be all over it, if the frame weren't green.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
I think all that green could be toned down by adding some black grips.

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
P-220, howz come you dont go for a early steel frame and have it plated? If there was ever a aluminum framed pistol I cant like, its a alloy 1911. I've shot just 1, a friends Sig 1911 in 45. The idea of those little rails being made of aluminum just turns me away.

Something wrong with the rear sight on that Colt too... Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Army green in .38 super. No connection there, not exactly harkening back to the days of when the Army was issued .38 Super.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is surprising is that I kind of like it.
99.999% of the time I am a traditionalist. I mean getting wild and crazy for me is putting night sights on a pistol.

I have seen a few FDE I would contemplate if I had extra money.

I have always found the .38 super interesting.

I imagine they are not going to be cheap and it would be hard for me to justify spending the money on it.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have not seen that. I need to get a 38 super too. I wound up with 1000 Lapua 38 super cases and no pistol! I like it personally.

Posts: 147 | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
P-220, howz come you dont go for a early steel frame and have it plated? If there was ever a aluminum framed pistol I cant like, its a alloy 1911. I've shot just 1, a friends Sig 1911 in 45. The idea of those little rails being made of aluminum just turns me away.

Yeah, my goal is an affordable steel frame 70's Combat Commander in 38 Super. Since they are claiming it is a Series 70, I wish they would remain true to the look of the 70's era Combat Commander/LW commander. They are claiming only 300 of the 600 have been made. There are three for sale on GB, as low as $999.00.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm another 38 Super fan. I recently acquired a Ruger LW Commander in 9mm. Might just see about getting a 38 Super barrel for it. Cheaper way to go, anyway.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

Yeah, my goal is an affordable steel frame 70's Combat Commander in 38 Super. Since they are claiming it is a Series 70, I wish they would remain true to the look of the 70's era Combat Commander/LW commander. They are claiming only 300 of the 600 have been made. There are three for sale on GB, as low as $999.00.

MSRP is 1029, if that matters, dealer (it is an allocated item) is not quite a couple hundred less,

got lucky a few weeks ago, picked up a 1975 vintage Super 30 (70 series) for a good price with one factory, 2 aftermarket mags,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
So when will they be available through CDNN?

Are currently. Way too close to MSRP. Just sayin.... Colt

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
I'd love a Combat Commander with a stainless steel frame. Darn it, for some reason Colt always seems to forget to make that one!

https://www.google.com/search?...IJw&biw=1920&bih=950

Confused

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
WOW, already at CDNN??? Damn, that was fast.

70's steel framed Combat Commanders in good condition are bringing $1,450-$1,850. Those without "the mark" are bringing the upper end. At $1,800-$1,900, I am only a few hundred dollars away from a used Wilson or Les Baer.

Dan Wesson is looking like a very strong value. Does anyone know if they make/made a steel framed Commander length 1911? Sorry for the thread drift.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve