SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The 10mm SIG 220ST Project
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 65
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 10mm SIG 220ST Project Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
As some of you are aware, Bruce Gray and crew at GGI are planning to convert some 220STs to 10mm.

Flork has posted an update regarding this project, and is attempting to ascertain the number of Bar-Sto barrels that need to be ordered.
His post is on page 2, here.

"Friends and fellow Sigophiles. I'm here with another announcement about the Sig 10mm.

Keep in mind that the entire converesion requires Bruce or myself to be at a bench for every step of the process. It's all hand fitting and custom work so it's not gonna be cheap.

The reason we're posting this is that our barrel maker is preparing to make the barrels for us and we need a good solid idea of how many barrels to have them make.

The following list is our price break down for the Sig 10mm conversion in a 4.4" barrel on a Stainless frame Sig P220 which would need to be supplied by the customer or purchased from us by the customer for retail price.

The basics:

Barrel: Custom made Bar-Sto barrel supplied and fitted - $325

Slide work: Includes welding and recutting the breach face, supplying a custom made GGI extractor and setting up proper extractor tension and function - $225

Solid stainless steel guide rod with 24lb mainspring $42.00

Custom modified 10mm magazines supplied buy GGI - 5ea. per gun, including modifications to the Slide Catch Lever and Magazine Release to make them function properly - $325

Dehorn, detail and blend the slide - $75

Total for the basic package work: $992.00

Additional options are as follows:

Tritium night sight front paired with Warren Tactical rear sight - $150

Custom wleded and blended beaver tail - $150

Reduced Reset Comprehensive Duty Package - $250

Custom Fabricated Grayguns Magwell welded and fitted - $225

Total for additional options - $775

Grand Total for the full on everyghing GGI 10mm conversion - $1767.00

If you're seriously interested in one of these pistols, please email me at scott@grayguns.com so I can talk to you about the project.
"

So, if you're serious about making an investment in a firearm that has the potential for becoming a righteous collectible in years to come, please let Flork know in this thread.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those of us without a Stainless frame, what would be the additional cost. Also could it be done with a DAK trigger?

Posts: 85 | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
As of right now, we are not convinced that an alloy frame gun can handle the slide velocity and recoil generated by the 10mm cartridge. Our plan is to make them in stainless and see how it goes, then we'll make an attempt at the alloy frame.

Yes, we can use the DAK trigger system for the 10mm. If you have a DAK in your gun, no big deal, if you don't we can supply and install the parts.

------------------------------
-------------------------------------------
Scott @ Apex
"Own enough guns that your wife will never notice a gun or 2 being added or taken away from the collection."
Leonard Novak - "Thee Gambler" (SASS)
------------------------------------------------

My guides to Sig Lubrication: http://www.apextactical.com/bl...-sauer-pistol-rails/

http://www.apextactical.com/bl...nternal-lubrication/

Posts: 3489 | Location: Apex Tactical Specialties - Peoria, AZ | Registered: June 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What would be the cost for a frame? I don't have a stainless donor gun, so this would have to be a ground up build for me.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stainless frame Sig P220 which would need to be supplied by the customer or purchased from us by the customer for retail price.

Note that it says "stainless frame ... P220," not "stainless P220 frame."
I interpret that as saying the customer must supply a complete P220ST pistol for the project or purchase a complete pistol from Grayguns.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it does, I must stop trying too read, drive and type at the same time.....

Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
Good luck getting just stainless 220 frame. As far as I know, you would need to buy the entire gun.

And, yes, my intention was to tell you that you would need to supply an entire pistol for the modification, bacause we will need a slide and internals too.

Scott @ Apex
"Own enough guns that your wife will never notice a gun or 2 being added or taken away from the collection."

My guides to Sig Lubrication: http://www.apextactical.com/bl...-sauer-pistol-rails/

Posts: 3489 | Location: Apex Tactical Specialties - Peoria, AZ | Registered: June 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Glad to see this come to fruition.

Now it's time to see how many of those "Damn it, SIG, make a 10mm" people put their money where their mouths are. Wink

Oat

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jackass
posted Hide Post
If I am not able to afford the entire project now would it be possible to buy the barrel and have the gunsmithing done down the road?
Andrew

Posts: 593 | Location: SW Wisconsin | Registered: February 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andrewl:
If I am not able to afford the entire project now would it be possible to buy the barrel and have the gunsmithing done down the road?
Andrew

Bruce and I agree that would be OK. As these barrels (and the other custom conversion parts) are proprietary to Grayguns Inc, we'd only ask that we retain the barrel until we complete our work.

Bruce is always worrying about how to make our best work more affordable. Hey, perfection isn't cheap. Smile So, we can offer some sort of payment schedule, since this work will take a fair amount of time to complete anyway. Why not tell us what would work for you? Even though the 10mm project isn't that pricey compared to some of the ridiculous 1911's that Bruce takes freakin' decades to build, it's still a significant chunk. We'll work with you guys.

Scott @ Apex

posted Hide Post
What would a New 220ST from GGI go for with the package? I had a moment of clarity a few months back and sold mine.

Mitch

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being a
Chronic Troublemaker.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Glad to see this come to fruition.

Now it's time to see how many of those "Damn it, SIG, make a 10mm" people put their money where their mouths are. Wink

Oat

LOL!

Posts: 1757 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Oh, the kittens Wink I'll be anxious to read a range report on the new GGI 10mm beast!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non Nobis Solum
posted Hide Post
Flork,
Can this work be done to a 220ST elite model as well??

Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 3613 | Location: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
kewl - gotta go shopping for a P220ST! Smile

So, I guess you're not making the slides out of Tungsten?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Rather than doing all the fancy work on the breech face of the P220 slide, wouldn't it have been easier to just mill out the area in a stainless slide amd put in the breech block of a p220 38 super? The rim specifications are very close (.406 for 38 super versus .425 for 10mm).

With the 38 super breech block out of the slide, its much easier to mill a an extra .019 out of sides of the 38 super breech face than having to weld and recut the hard-to-reach internal area of a stainless slide (not to mention custom extractor requirements). If the fear would be inset breech block movement, then small locking engagements could easily be milled into the slide cut that match and engage similar cuts in the the 38 super breech block. This combo would still be heavier than a standard folded slide to retain the mass needed for 10mm lockup.

In addition, the 38 super extractor would probably need no work to work properly (it's not going to be able to tell the difference beteen .0095 inch (1/2 radius difference between the 2 cartridges. Then just put the p220 38 super ejector on the stainless frame.

As it's eaier to mill out a nice tight square in the slide, the 38 super breech block could be nice and tight. With a simple switch to a the slightly larger diameter solid pin would ensure no movement under firing.

The 38 super mags will proably hold the 10mm cartridge just fine, so very minimal modification should be needed (although the frame would need to be punched out in grip area to accomidate the 38 super mags (which you probably have to do anyways for custom mags as the cartridge length is longer than the .45.

A higher rated recoil spring with heavy guide rod would help tame the 10mm full-house loads. This would seem to be an easier solution than all the custom work directly on the breech face and needing custom extractors. Of course it's all conjecture..

Heck, it would seem easier to easier (re: cheaper) to mill a brand new custom copy of 38 super breech block (in 10mm breech face dimensions) that fits into a custom cutout of a stainless slide, than play with weldup and recut and other custom work you need to do on the .45 breech face and extractor. Could even make it of tungsten to add more lockup mass. Kinda of a "why redesign the wheel thing" and then parts availability would also go up if many interchanged (like extractors and magazines).

Just my two cents! Would still love to have one...

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone should post this on 10mmtalk.

Regards,

Dean

Posts: 194 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frankinaug:
Can this work be done to a 220ST elite model as well??

Yes we can, we would change out the SRT system for the GGI reduced reset system. We definitely like the beaver tail and I feel it would be a great addition to the 10mm caliber.

Scott @ Apex

Picture of Gray_Wolf
posted Hide Post
I was just wondering; since there is a conversion 9mm barrel availave for P226 .40s&w (that works with .40 slide). Wouldn't it be possible to make a 10mm conversion barrel that would work with P220 .45 slide? (so no mods would be required to the gun) Confused What do you guys think?

Posts: 302 | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

Oat

That's exactly what I thought when I read about this. Big Grin

Now, hopefully, this'll keep those 10mm Mafia types quiet! Razz

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post