SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The 10mm SIG 220ST Project
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 65
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 10mm SIG 220ST Project Login/Join 
Picture of Gary1911A1
posted Hide Post
I bought a Witness Stock in 10MM with Supersight, checking and a bull barrel that I hope slows unlocking. Put a Wolf 18lb. recoil spring in it and Buffer Technology's CZ Buffer and so far it appears to be holding up well mostly to Blazer 200Gr. loads. I would of like an EGW style flat bottom firing pin stop to also help slow unlocking along with a heavier mainspring. What do you think of this? Should I buy extra dental insurance?

Posts: 527 | Location: Southern Ohio for now. | Registered: December 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary1911A1:
I bought a Witness Stock in 10MM with Supersight, checking and a bull barrel that I hope slows unlocking. Put a Wolf 18lb. recoil spring in it and Buffer Technology's CZ Buffer and so far it appears to be holding up well mostly to Blazer 200Gr. loads. I would of like an EGW style flat bottom firing pin stop to also help slow unlocking along with a heavier mainspring. What do you think of this? Should I buy extra dental insurance?

Nah, the slide won't hit you in the teeth, most likely.

The EGW square firing pin stop and a heavy mainspring will help. (Be sure that your hammer / sear engagement and sear springing will hold safely with heavier breakoff pressure.)

Among other things, a couple of weaknesses of the CZ-75 system are in it's comparatively light slide mass which yields high slide velocity, and in the lack of a positive barrel bed to stop the rearward travel of the barrel after it unlocks during recoil.

The only thing that stops the barrel after it unlocks is the slide stop pin. The barrel kidney cam cut design is quite critical. The force exerted by the barrel onto the slide stop pin during unlocking is great, and these pins always break in heavier calibers than the 9mm the basic system was designed around.

EGW and others marketed plain replacement pins for IPSC shooters who used these guns in 9X21 Major for competition. I'd plan on bending and discarding a pin or two per match until I found ways to build the gun around a longer lockup dwell and a more efficient compensator system.

I suspect most of these early Tanfoglio-based HiCap IPSC race guns didn't last 20,000 rounds if that, and the best of them still were not worth what us gunmaker types charged to build them. I am sure I will drag a few behind me on my chain as I wander lost through the afterlife I probably deserve.

I remember testing a couple of CZ IPSC Standard models in .40 S&W for a planned article. Each pistol came with three extra slide stop pins. I didn't finish my first range test before I needed one.

10mm Norma is an order of magnitude nastier than factory .40 S&W practice ammo, so...anything you can do to slow that initial unlocking period will help you keep that gun alive. The biggest thing you can do is run softball ammo for practice.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signoir
posted Hide Post
I put an EGW oversized firing pin stop and Wolff 22lb spring in my Kimber 10mm. Seems to help.

"When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power...like God must feel... when he's holding a gun!" H. Simpson.

Posts: 1044 | Registered: July 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220parts:
How about a progress update for those of us "patiently" waiting for a package from Oregon...

Tang is right. Our service is fast, no matter how long it takes. Big Grin

Seriously, and update is in order. We're waiting ourselves on extractors, a magazine body forming die, and on the adjusted barrels from BarSto. We are in process with the remaining action and breechface work. It's all coming together, and we're on it. We appreciate your patience and don't take it for granted. It's new territory, but the results will be well worth the remaining wait. I can assure y'all of that. Thanks!

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:

Seriously, and update is in order. We're waiting ourselves on extractors, a magazine body forming die, and on the adjusted barrels from BarSto. We are in process with the remaining action and breechface work. It's all coming together, and we're on it. We appreciate your patience and don't take it for granted. It's new territory, but the results will be well worth the remaining wait. I can assure y'all of that. Thanks!

-Bruce

Thanks for the update Bruce...I starting to feel like a little kid before Christmas - all eager anticipation of the goodies in store...So we're still on schedule for late January/early February?

Looks like I need to line up some ammo! Cool

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AaronP220R
posted Hide Post
Where'z muh package Bruce??? Wink

Les Baer Premier II (Custom Carry look-alike)
Les Baer TRS Hard Chrome
Sigarms P220 Carry SAO Beavertail
Sigarms P226 Blackwater
Sigarms P226ST 9mm

Posts: 4649 | Location: NW Houston Texas | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pow
posted Hide Post
btt

Wink

quote:
Josheb-Basshebeth, a Tahkemonite, was chief of the Three; he raised his spear against eight hundred men, whom he killed in one encounter. - 2 Samuel 23:8

Posts: 1101 | Location: WA | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
why would you bump a thread that is stickied?

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14179 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AaronP220R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:

Be nice masta Tang Wink

Les Baer TRS Hard Chrome
Sigarms P226 Blackwater
Sigarms P226ST 9mm

Posts: 4649 | Location: NW Houston Texas | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:

It was a joke. Hence, the " Wink "

Sorry if that was confusing for you.

quote:
Josheb-Basshebeth, a Tahkemonite, was chief of the Three; he raised his spear against eight hundred men, whom he killed in one encounter. - 2 Samuel 23:8

Posts: 1101 | Location: WA | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
it was late i the first thing i thought was "they un-stickied it" Roll Eyes

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14179 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pow
posted Hide Post
hahaha

I understand.

quote:

posted Hide Post
I will have a 220ST for you in March for the conversion.

Posts: 23 | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sned45:

Thank you! We'll have parts and time for your project.

-Bruce

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

posted Hide Post
220ST Elite's are now available from us for this project, or otherwise.

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AaronP220R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
quote:

-Bruce

Have you gotten that package shipped off to me yet??

Les Baer TRS Hard Chrome
Sigarms P226 Blackwater
Sigarms P226ST 9mm

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

-Bruce

I shot a email to scott@grayguns.com the other day and have not heard back but I was wondering I should send payment along with the firearm?

I'm currently looking for another 220st so I might send you 2 for conversion.

Posts: 23 | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

-Bruce

I shot a email to scott@grayguns.com the other day and have not heard back but I was wondering I should send payment along with the firearm?

I'm currently looking for another 220st so I might send you 2 for conversion.

We normally do not require deposits for most of our work, though some customers prefer to prepay for routine jobs. For the 10mm project, we have some specific costs for parts, so we've
asked for a modest deposit to cover it. Thanks!

-Bruce

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

Picture of 220parts
posted Hide Post
Update on the project, please! Inquiring minds...

Veni, Vidi, Risi

Posts: 891 | Location: SW, NH | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
The Barrels are still off being remachined, and we're waiting on that at this point.

The finished Prototype for the 10mm is nearly complete, we're going to unveil it at SHOT SHOW this weekend. We're hoping to get Michael Bane to interview us about it while at the show.

More to come ASAP.

Scott

------------------------------
-------------------------------------------
Scott @ Apex
-------------------------------------------
"Own enough guns that your wife will never notice a gun or 2 being added or taken away from the collection."
Leonard Novak - "Thee Gambler" (SASS)
------------------------------------------------

My guides to Sig Lubrication: http://www.apextactical.com/bl...-sauer-pistol-rails/

http://www.apextactical.com/bl...nternal-lubrication/

Posts: 3489 | Location: Apex Tactical Specialties - Peoria, AZ | Registered: June 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post