SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question about Glock 9mm conversion barrels.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Glock 9mm conversion barrels. Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
Looking at Rock Slide, Inc website they offer a 9mm conversion barrel. As do many other manufacturers.

It would be for my Gen 4 Glock 22. I know I would need 9mm magazines, but what else ?

Just curious as does the 9mm work well with the 40 cal breech face?

Thanks

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I have a Lone Wolf .40 to 9mm conversion for my G23, and in addition to the 9mm mags, I used a 9mm recoil spring. Even though it's been totally reliable, I only use the conversion barrel at the range. I switch it back to original .40 for carry.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Should be fine.

Other than the barrel, recoil spring, and (possibly) mag, you should be fine.

The extractor should swing far enough to properly engage the 9mm case rim and rotate it with the ejector.

The .40 magazine should also work with the 9mm cartridge (other than witness holes) with little or no modifications, but a dedicated caliber specific magazine for each cartridge will make it more likely to load the proper ammo to each barrel.

Cycle the slide with the mag loaded (snap caps if you have any) to check for proper function before firing live ammo.

I went through the same thing while converting my G21 to .38 Super.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
My Lone Wolf 9-40 G35 barrel has worked without a hiccup. Maybe 5,000 rounds through it. Same recoil spring. Same extractor and ejector. 9mm mags.

Luck,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For conversion barrels in Glocks, I only use KKM. Other barrels are less expensive, but thus far, I've been unimpressed.

I do use other makes when using aftermarket barrels, such as Wilson and some Bar-sto, but for the conversion barrels, KKM.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Storm Lake conv. barrel on mine and it ran like a top. Some people say you should swap out the ejector but I never had an issue.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re magazines. CZ ships their OEM (MecGar) magazines with their Shadow 2 that literally say 9mm on one side and 40 on the other. Each with their own witness holes. I have always heard to swap mags but this makes me wonder if CZ literally is saying “it’s the same mag”.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I’ve shot a ton of 9mm out of G22 with only a factory 9mm barrel. Glocks do very well going from 40 to 9.

And in reference to Pedropcolas comments above. I have several G22 mags in my range bag that get mixed in with the 17 mags. I rarely can tell the difference

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
To be honest, I’ve shot a ton of 9mm out of G22 with only a factory 9mm barrel. Glocks do very well going from 40 to 9.

And in reference to Pedropcolas comments above. I have several G22 mags in my range bag that get mixed in with the 17 mags. I rarely can tell the difference

Whoa! Factory? Not even a conversion barrel?
I am going to have to try that.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has been at least 10 years, but my lonewolf conversion barrel was a total waste of money. It wouldn’t feed white box, American eagle or blazer brass. Hopefully they are better but I am spoiled on that brand, especially with their lack of customer service at the time.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I purchased a G31 barrel from Rock Slide last year, for my G22 Gen 4. Just got around to shooting it with the G31 barrel the other day, and it did well in my limited amount of shooting.

I am not one to shoot thousands of rounds a year. A barrel like Rock Slides vs other brands would serve my purpose well.

Evidently Glocks are more forgiving in terms of switching barrels than other brands?

美しい犬

posted Hide Post
I may have mentioned this in another post but I took a class last year with my G23 with a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel. Shot 1k rounds through it without one single malfunction.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I'm doing a conversion barrel, I run the appropriate magazines. Other magazines may feed (and seem to do well), but I use the appropriate recoil spring, and magazine, along with the conversion barrel.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 94hokie:
Has been at least 10 years, but my lonewolf conversion barrel was a total waste of money. It wouldn’t feed white box, American eagle or blazer brass. Hopefully they are better but I am spoiled on that brand, especially with their lack of customer service at the time.

My sister got one that was initially bad. They told her "Run a box of +P through it". She did and it's been 100%. You should not have to but some mechanical products need to break in.

Bruce

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Evidently Glocks are more forgiving in terms of switching barrels than other brands?

Yeah, the only direction you can’t go is 9 to 40. Well, I’ve never tried it, at least.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post