SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    'Born on' P230?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Born on' P230? Login/Join 
posted
The serial # is S117xxx. TIA

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
1985 or thereabouts

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thnx!

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Should have a date code on it... Confused

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine has serial number S109xxx, no date code stamped. Idea were year was made ?? Thanks in advance.-

Posts: 6 | Registered: February 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I apologize for having fat fingers. My P230's SN# is actually S112xxx. I haven't located a 'date code'.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shooter1201,

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
https://www.realgunreviews.com...of-marks-date-codes/

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thnx!

posted Hide Post
Okaaaay. I'm unable to locate a date code any where on this pistol. From what I've learned, my P230 was a Swiss government contract pistol.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Remove the slide and look at the barrel for any markings.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

shooter1201, I have the same gun, serial # S117xxx. I've had it a year or more. When I got it I looked all over for any sort of date code, and could not find any. I called SIG and they placed it, as Para suggested, in 1985, from their "old database" of serial numbers.

This thread and its suggestions got me interested again in looking for any kind of code, and I finally found it, right under my nose. Smile

On my gun, it is on the right side of the slide. In between the mark P230 and the serial number are a series of marks. First (from the front) is the Kiel proof mark, then another proof mark I cannot quite make out, then the letter Z or N, depending on which way you turn the gun, and finally the date code JE, turned sideways. To read it "right side up", you have to rotate the slide so the front is facing away from you.

So, mine is 1984.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK. Found it! 'JC' It was laying sideways. The referenced website indicates it (SN#112xxx) was made in 1982.