SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 X-Five not going reliably into battery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 X-Five not going reliably into battery Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
I have a new P320 X-Five. The first time I took it to the range, running factory ammunition, there were multiple occasions where it did not go fully into battery. I was using the 21 round magazines and I'd say put 100 round through it.

Of that 100 rounds there were perhaps a handful of occasions where it did not go into battery. I notice it when I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. So, I suppose that was a plus, not firing out of battery.

So, it's not a huge problem out of 100 rounds or so. Perhaps it will work it's way out and it's a "break-in" issue.

I have two or three questions.

1. Any experience with this malfunction with this gun and what did you do or how was it resolved.
2. How do you lube the gun. Since it's not an alloy frame, would you avoid grease on this one, assuming you use grease on your SIGs? So, grease or oil only.
3. Do you use the factory spring or did you change it and to what did you change it? How "heavy"? I believe GGI has a guide rod setup that comes with a 19# 1911 spring.

I used Slide Glide lite which has worked for me in the past and, on the whole, worked fine with this gun about 95% of the time or better.

When I bought the gun they had three there. I choose the one that appeared to have the snuggest slide to frame fit of the three.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
1- I’ve heard a couple of students speak of it. But, it is generally because the gun is so tight that when you lower the slide slowly it won’t go into battery.

2- lube, lube, lube. For some strange reason, the gun community is really hesitant to properly lube their stuff. The tactical crowd crow about how it collects dirt and debris. Cops are the worlds worst but you don’t even see “dirt and debris” in an average cops gun that is properly lubed. Lube it like you normally will, and when you shoot it, it will sling off the excess.

3- usually the change up to a flat spring is to remove the dip as the gun goes back into battery.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
You don't mention what ammo you are using just that its factory. Some have reported issues with 115gr not functioning reliably until the pistol is fully broken in. Mine has bee 100% with all ammo out of the box but like I said, some have reported issues with 115gr ammo.

Also some folks believe it is oversprung. Some have swapped to a 15lb 1911 5" spring and it works fine. Gray Guns has a replacement guide rod with recoil spring for the X-5 for $32.

I suggest trying some 124gr ammo and as far as lubing goes, I prefer grease. Inside of the slide on the rails and on the small rail tabs on the FCU (Fire Control Unit). Also some on the top of the barrel. Sig's like a lot of lube.

See Florks (a gunsmith) lubrication recommendation at the below link.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...30601935/m/908103701

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Guys above have covered it; I'll just reiterate to lube it well, I use TW25 grease that I use on all my pistols and I'm not shy about sparing it lol. Mine has worked great from round 1 with all ammo except for the very mildest of my own handloaded 115 grain plinkers, with the only issue there being an occasional failure to lock back on an empty mag. No issues with not going into battery.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
A friend had the same failure to return to battery problem when he first got his P320 X-Five. I advised him to lube it well with TW-25B and that the problem would probably go away after further break-in. He hasn’t experienced the issue in several range sessions now.

I am curious, though, what ammunition you were shooting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
You don't mention what ammo you are using just that its factory. Some have reported issues with 115gr not functioning reliably until the pistol is fully broken in. Mine has bee 100% with all ammo out of the box but like I said, some have reported issues with 115gr ammo.

Also some folks believe it is oversprung. Some have swapped to a 15lb 1911 5" spring and it works fine. Gray Guns has a replacement guide rod with recoil spring for the X-5 for $32.

I suggest trying some 124gr ammo and as far as lubing goes, I prefer grease. Inside of the slide on the rails and on the small rail tabs on the FCU (Fire Control Unit). Also some on the top of the barrel. Sig's like a lot of lube.

As I mentioned I think, I use grease and I lubed it the way I normally do my other SIGs and most of my other guns. Generally the grease has worked very well for me though I get some flack for it from a gunsmith I know.

The ammunition was Blazer Brass mostly, some Winchester "brown" box. Most of it was 115gr I believe.

Having said that, I took the gun to the range again today, ran 100 rounds through it and it ran like a top. No hiccups, no issues. So, it was likely a bit of break in was all that was needed.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
quote:

Good to hear. Mine had issues with 115gr ammo for about 200 rounds. Then it was fine. Great pistolSmile Enjoy

As I mentioned I think, I use grease and I lubed it the way I normally do my other SIGs and most of my other guns. Generally the grease has worked very well for me though I get some flack for it from a gunsmith I know.

The ammunition was Blazer Brass mostly, some Winchester "brown" box. Most of it was 115gr I believe.

Having said that, I took the gun to the range again today, ran 100 rounds through it and it ran like a top. No hiccups, no issues. So, it was likely a bit of break in was all that was needed.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm down to a 12# spring, in both of mine, with lots of lube, but, don't shoot factory ammo in mine. If I shot factory, I'd probably run a 14 or 15# spring.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same issue with my P320FS in 45 ACP. I put 250 rounds through it, including reloads with 230 gr RNL, Federal 230 gr HST, and Speer Blazer 30 gr FMJ. Could rarely get through a single 10 rd magazine without at least one failure to go into battery. Will try again tomorrow with another 200+ rounds. If still a problem, may have to call Sig C.S.

Just got back from second range trip. This time I fired 130 rounds of Blazer FMJ. I had three failures to go into battery about half way through the session. Definitely better, but not good enough. Will clean and lube liberally, and leave magazines loaded, and try again on Saturday. If this wasn’t a Sig, I would not be too upset, thinking the gun just needed to be broken in. But none of my other 12 Sigs(including 3-320s in 9mm)ever needed a break in. We will give it a bit more time to see how things progress.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: USAFA71,

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 367 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Mine definitely needed a break-in to get everything running together. Now it's fine.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Mine was tight going into battery from factory. More I shot it the better it got. Runs fine now.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post