SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I Nailed a Rattlesnake with my P365
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Nailed a Rattlesnake with my P365 Login/Join 
posted
My Great Pyrenees cornered a rattlesnake on the ranch in the yard. I nailed him with one 9mm JHP from my Sig P365.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPTKILLER:
My Great Pyrenees cornered a rattlesnake on the ranch in the yard. I nailed him with one 9mm JHP from my Sig P365.

Question: did you nail the Great Pyrenees or the snake? If the snake, I hope you got his head directly, because they live on for some time in agony otherwise...just a thought (I like snakes)

Posts: 559 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Nice shot! (I dislike snakes)

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteadyHand:
because they live on for some time in agony otherwise...

Ooooh. Tell me more about the agony part. I like it! Big Grin Then a 22 would be better than the 9mm?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Good shooting!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Probably nailed its rattling tail. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Did you fry it up afterwards?

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Does the 365 have a rail so you can attach a flamethrower?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
A head shot on a rattlesnake or moccasin is a good challenge, especially if it's moving!

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where I'm from, rattlers are protected species and one does not declare in public that one has harmed a rattlesnake. They do prosecute for that around these parts.

And no, they don't care if it was in your yard or bothering your dog or whatever. Protected is protected.

Posts: 695 | Registered: June 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Valley Forge, is there a shortage of snakies where you live ? Big Grin.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valleyforge.1777:
Where I'm from, rattlers are protected species and one does not declare in public that one has harmed a rattlesnake. They do prosecute for that around these parts.

And no, they don't care if it was in your yard or bothering your dog or whatever. Protected is protected.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwil...bians-reptiles.phtml

if it was a timber rattlesnake in Texas it would be protected. Timber rattlesnakes are only really in the east side of Texas.

On the other hand if it was a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake it is not protected in Texas and can be taken with a hunting license. Western Diamondback Rattlesnake's are found all over Texas.

There are a number of Rattlesnake types in Texas but only the Timber Rattlesnake's are protected.

For better or worse you can usually do what you want to the snakes on your property.

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wonder if the government drones who come up with nonsense laws like that have ever had a critter like this just outside the door to their house. I kind of doubt they have.

Posts: 26902 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GataGunner
posted Hide Post
How bad did your ears ring afterwards?

Posts: 64 | Registered: January 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a GP growing up, if I had a big enough yard I'd have one right now. Love that breed, best livestock guardian and family friendly dog breed you can get in my opinion.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GataGunner:
How bad did your ears ring afterwards?

Kinda bad. Red Face

Better than getting snakebit in the dark some night, though.

Posts: 26902 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Seems to me the least you could have done for the little guy was dispatch him with a SIG Rattler. Wink

quote:

My father was an avid bird hunter in his younger adult years (back in the '70s) and, on one late afternoon hunt along the Columbia River valley, his bird dog (and our family pet Black Lab) cornered a Lynx that was boxed into a rock wall canyon with only one escape route, blocked by the dog and my nearby Dad. The Lynx was crouched and my Dad instantly realized that it was about to attack our dog and likely him as well and he levelled his shotgun and put it down, although he felt badly about having to do so.

I respect life and wouldn't go out of my way to kill something, even a Rattler, if it weren't a threat to me or my family... but protected by law or not, you do what you need to to survive and protect those in your family.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Well, it was a 9mm so how many shots did it take? Big Grin

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the rattlesnake with one shot with a Sig 115gr JHP.

Jolo, the Great Pyrenees is snake smart and was keeping his distance.

The snake was in the yard next to the house inside a chain link fence. He was a definite threat.

As an aside, the P365 is accurate and has good sights.

I have shot snakes with snake shot with revolvers.

In South Vietnam I shot a nasty cobra with 1911 with typical crude GI sights. It took several shots to get it. I kept my distance for obvious reasons. About a week later I shot a Krait or bamboo viper with an M-16. We called them a step and half because they were quite deadly.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
This is a tough one. Maybe Animal Control can come take it quickly. Otherwise, with my wife and daughters in and out and that thing possibly chilling nearby...

I have seen some pictures at the Cape Fear Serpentarium of some snake bite victims and it looked awful.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post