SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Does anyone know who would stipple the front strap of my P220?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone know who would stipple the front strap of my P220? Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I have looked at Gray Guns and Sig custom shop. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Is it a stainless frame? I don't think anyone would stipple an aluminum frame.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
It is not stainless. It is a 2003 P220 with a stamped slide.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
There is a process to "Stipple" a metal frame. They drive a pointed punch into the frame creating a dent/divit in the frame. Checkering is cleaner and provides more traction. If its an older P220 with Stamped Slide- I'm not sure if I'd alter the original anodizing on the frame. If you plan of having it coated (Robar, Cerakote, etc) then go for it.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I realize you want a recommendation for stippling.... but for a lot cheaper and still looks great and serves the purpose of providing great purchase on the front strap, 3M skateboard tape works great and looks great as well. I use it on all my 220s and 225. Rub down the tape a bit so as not to get grains in between the pistol and your holster.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I wouldn’t get an anodized alloy frame stippled. Get you a $20 set of precut Talon Grip rubber granulate grip tape and try that.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madmatt:
I realize you want a recommendation for stippling.... but for a lot cheaper and still looks great and serves the purpose of providing great purchase on the front strap, 3M skateboard tape works great and looks great as well. I use it on all my 220s and 225. Rub down the tape a bit so as not to get grains in between the pistol and your holster.

Yep...works like a charm. I do this on all my P-series and an older 1911 front strap.

I lightly nip the square corners off to prevent it from lifting there. After it is secured on the gun, take a piece of paper. Place it over the tape and rub firmly for a minute or two. Be sure to degrease the front strap before applying tape.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Alluminum is too soft to stipple. I would rethink this. If you do find someone willing to do it you need to have the frame re-anodized after

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I’ve used tape before. I will do that. I just like the feel of stippling. I didn’t really think about it being aluminum.

posted Hide Post
Aluminum is easily stippled; it's easy to do with soft metal.

The problem with aluminum, especially certain alloys like 7075T-6, which is heat treated, is that they work-harden, and stresses are introduced into the metal that lead to cracking and other problems. IN particular, work hardening of 7075T-6 can result in intergranular corrosion; the metal fails internally between the grains.

Certain treatments can be used to harden the surface, but peening it can easily deform or cause stresses that lead to failure.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I don't know of anyone who stipples anodized aluminum frames.

Stainless or Tupperware, sure.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used this on my P220s, you can trim it to be secured under the grips. I also applied some liquid electrical tape to the checkering to reduce some of the sharpness.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...-commander-checkered

Posts: 977 | Location: Upstate South Carolina | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post