SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Stainless bbl rust 44 Super Blackhawk
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless bbl rust 44 Super Blackhawk Login/Join 
Picture of Cobra21
posted
OK, just uncovered some rust on one of my guns. This is no showpiece gun. It's a field gun that goes hunting/camping 3-4 times a year. I do want to treat well regardless.

Thoughts on best way to remove/manage?

https://drive.google.com/file/...wZ/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/...Qm/view?usp=drivesdk

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'd soak it in a good oil for a couple of hours, wipe it off, then polish the surface with a paper towel and a polish like Simichrome or Flitz. There are rust removal cloths as well.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Got it. Thank you. Are we talking Hoppes Elite, FP-10, etc.? I have these and Flitz in the gun cabinet.

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
For the ‘manage’ part, give it a wipe down with an oily cloth after use or being out.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'd use the FP-10 but that's just 'cause I'm sentimental. The Hoppes would be fine, too. You might even be able to skip this step and just use the Flitz on it, but I think letting a bit of oil seep into the rust patches might help loosen them.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flitz is some great stuff and works miracles.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nevrdull wadding.....it's non abrasive, it will take some elbow grease, try to go with the grain of the S/S.....work it a while with the nevrdull and then see if it will start flicking off with your finger nail. I work with polishing stainless a lot.....miles and miles of it......probably thousands of miles over my lifetime on yachts in a saltwater environment. I've never worked with Simichrome......Flitz is slightly abrasive, so I'd start with the Nevrdull first (make sure to wipe it off before it dries, you'll have to do it repeated times.) before moving to more abrasive polishes. It WILL come off of there though.

Places like Ace Hardware will sell it locally:
https://www.amazon.com/Nevr-Du...TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
For the ‘manage’ part, give it a wipe down with an oily cloth after use or being out.

Yes, duly noted. However, it would be too easy to actually follow the rules of good gun care. I'd rather take the ass-whip of getting it back to good condition (and then hopefully remember how embarrassing it is to come on here for help with something I could have easily avoided). Big Grin

Soaking in an FP-10 bath as I write!

Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Nevrdull wadding.....

Thanks jimmy. I will pick some up. Sounds like I should have some on hand regardless. Not sure I can get out tomorrow with a 1 degree weather forecast and 130+ car pileups and all here!

My friends at Amazon may have to do the heavy lifting on this one.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Try oil and 0000 size steel wool. I’ve used it on light rust on blued steel without removing any bluing, so it should be fine for stainless, especially a beater field gun. If there is any pitting, get an old all-copper penny (before 1983) and oil each pit, and gently scratch the rust away. The copper is soft enough to grab the rust and break it up without harming the steel.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steel wool works fine.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stainless steel steel wool and then a grey pad going one direction.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Well, an FP-10 "bath" (about 1 hr) and Flitz (about 1 minute)...

https://drive.google.com/file/...Su/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/...i_/view?usp=drivesdk

...brought that ham bone back to life.

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I'm going to go around the house looking for more things to polish!

Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
You can not use steel wool on a stainless gun! The steel can get into the stainless and will rust. Use stainless steel wool only.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Scotchbright pads of appropriate "grit" can be used to match the factory finish better.

The "billboard" on the barrel can be draw filed, polished and blended in so you'd never know it was there. I did it once on a gun with lots of custom work, honestly I was ho-hum about the results, though it looked good. I guess it just didn't bother me all that much. I did it because I could.

Not suggesting you do it, just pointing out you can remove a lot of metal if need be, and done right no one will know.

(apparently the only crappy picture I still have of that side of the gun)

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've used NevrDull, the treated wadding polish in the blue and silver can for things like this. Works like a charm. Is also the BEST THING EVER (maybe other than Flitz) for removing carbon rings on the face of the cylinder and underneath surface of the top strap.

DO NOT USE ON BLUED GUNS, IT WILL REMOVE THE BLUEING!

You have been warned...

ETA: Well then seems like you done gone and solved your problem. Gongrats! It looks fantastic.

Slightly funny thing (to me); all the Blackhawks I have ever seen or shot have been blued guns. I've never seen a Stainless gun, even used, except possibly new at a gun show.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photohause:
You can not use steel wool on a stainless gun! The steel can get into the stainless and will rust. Use stainless steel wool only.

Agreed, you CAN use Bronze wool (most people's preference) and monel wool on S/S without hurting the finish.

Cobra 21- the gun looks great again.....that's the beauty of S/S compared to blueing.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’d start with a piece of denim rag and any oil. My buddy who owns a gun store does this on guns he buys that have light rust like in your pics. The next step is oooosteel wool with plenty of oil. I’d be sure to follow the brush marks already on the barrel so you don’t leave new marks going the wrong direction.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post