SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 43X /48 15 rd Shield magazines are Excellent !!
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 43X /48 15 rd Shield magazines are Excellent !! Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It seems like too much trouble to bother with. You need extra-power springs, which, it sounds like will need to be replaced frequently. Free replacement springs for life sounds good, but what guarantee do you have that this company will be in operation even a year from now?

The magazine catch- you need a metal one, but the metal one means more wear on the polymer magazines.

Based upon all of this, it seems to me that Glock got the magazine capacity right.

I have 3000 rounds thru 4 magazines with standard springs that come with them and have had zero feeding issues using reloads. I think the spring issues were from some of the early ones and early 2 tone pistols. there is no guarantee that any business will still be here next year so I just roll the dice with that on.
I would bet if they did go out of business someone would buy the patent and keep this going, every time they get a new batch it appears sell out quickly.

I did replace my mag catch with the metal shield one but no longer use the poly mags so I'm not to worried about wearing them out if thats even an issue.

For me having the extra 5 rounds in a concealed and fun range gun is worth it to me my G19 and 365 never leave the safe anymore.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It seems like too much trouble to bother with. You need extra-power springs, which, it sounds like will need to be replaced frequently. Free replacement springs for life sounds good, but what guarantee do you have that this company will be in operation even a year from now?

The magazine catch- you need a metal one, but the metal one means more wear on the polymer magazines.

Based upon all of this, it seems to me that Glock got the magazine capacity right.

Agreed.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put the glock gadget on each my G43X and G48. Ninety bucks there. XR sights on each. A hundred sixty each. Ghost connector. Forty bucks each. Add a holster each. Seventy bucks. I bought a stack of factory 10 round magazines at twenty five mucks or so each, so several hundred there. So, add about five hundred bucks each for add-ons. Then another hundred twenty for a new trigger each. There's six hundred thirty...more than the cost of the pistol.

The question arises: was the pistol worth it as it, at 460? I thought so, or wouldn't have bought them. Would I have bought one when it cost a thousand bucks, for the pistol and the add-ons? Getting sketchy. However, with the pistol in hand, it became a matter of making it what I wanted it to be, because to me, that's utility.

Add the magazines. Forty bucks each. I've bought a few for now; eventually I try to keep at least ten magazines per firearm, so there will be more. That's at least eight hundred in magazines. A few will get extended bases, once they've been tested and proven to my satisfaction.

Don't forget the springs.

There may be a loss in the accumulated 10 round magazines; after all, why carry 10 in the pistol if 15 works as well? Carry 15 in the pistol and 10 in the pocket as a spare? Maybe. They are quite compact. Or just keep them and shoot them at the range, or as extras. Will I wear the factory magazines out with the new catch (forgot to add that in. Another twenty four bucks each)? Probably not, but then with polymer mags, I'll hold the release down until the magazine is fully inserted, and then release to trap the mag. Same for release. They should last indefinitely like that.

The bottom line to me is that if the Shield magazines provide the utility I want, then the cost is simply part of getting there. I'm not in a rush. I can carry other firearms. But I will get them where I want them, and if the Shield mags work, then mission accomplished, and they're not so big an expense, considering the investment already had.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Any more updates on these mags?

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:

Go buy some and give us your report.

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
quote:

I’m hoping they will start using better springs before I buy some.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

posted Hide Post
when using these mags to test reliability is everyone using a few hundred rounds like a new pistol or a few mags worth than good to go? just picked up a few and a new mag release.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 373 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally got a chance to shoot the 43X and 48 with the Shield Mags, and they performed as expected. No issues at all. They fed reliably, locked back when supposed to, inserted and ejected without any problems.

I can't shoot worth crap, but the magazines ran just fine.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I just ordered the three +10% magazine springs these magazines should have come with from the start. Along with the MagLula loader, which is almost certainly a requirement for these magazines. Eek

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DO the new mags ship with the +10% springs already installed?

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 373 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whisky22:
DO the new mags ship with the +10% springs already installed?

Mine didn't. They're only a couple months old. Had to place a separate order for the +10% springs. Also, their "Free Springs for Life" guarantee really doesn't do a person much good if the standard springs cause your gun to jam in a gunfight.

posted Hide Post
The standard SA15 Mag springs have never caused my 43x to jam yet. I probably have close to 600 rounds through two of mine.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Reviews are so good..I bought 2 mags and a mag catch. I don’t even own the 43x yet.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
The standard springs have worked just fine in my 43X, so far. No malfunctions at all.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not the kind of guy that throws caution to the wind I see, Wink you know you can buy upgraded springs with them if you want, I just haven't had a need too. I shoot mine weekly zero malfunctions. live a little on the wild side .357 lol.

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not the kind of guy that throws caution to the wind I see, Wink you know you can buy upgraded springs with them if you want, I just haven't had a need too. I shoot mine weekly zero malfunctions. live a little on the wild side .357 lol.

I’m very hesitant to mess with something that works but 50% more ammo is enticing.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have 3000 rounds thru 4 magazines with standard springs that come with them and have had zero feeding issues using reloads.

That's a good record. It's also a statistical sample size of one pistol.

quote:
I think the spring issues were from some of the early ones and early 2 tone pistols.

This is FALSE. My G48 is the latest generation with the factory black slide and I had 1 failure in 120 rounds, which is something that never happened with the factory magazines.

quote:
I did replace my mag catch with the metal shield one but no longer use the poly mags so I'm not to worried about wearing them out if thats even an issue.

It most certainly IS an issue. My factory mag was notably gouged within about two insertions with the Shield alloy mag catch.

quote:
For me having the extra 5 rounds in a concealed and fun range gun is worth it to me my G19 and 365 never leave the safe anymore.

The jury is still out for me. I still have more confidence in a factory stock Glock. With respect to the Shield mags, I have found it necessary to replace the magazine springs at an additional cost as the standard springs were obviously underpowered for light range ammo and I have little faith that they wouldn't reliably feed the last round or two with +P defense ammo. For that reason, I opted for the +10% springs, which I believe should be the factory standard spring for all S15 magazines.

It's my opinion that these mags are operating on the ragged edge of over compressing the springs. These S15 mags are the first magazines I have ever actually required a Maglula to load to full capacity. They will likely work fine for most people but IMO, they have a long way to go to prove themselves. The floor plates of the S15s seem to work OK, but they don't inspire the same confidence as the factory mags. It's probably unlikely, but when loaded to full capacity, the S15 mags seem like little grenades just waiting to blow all 15rnds out the bottom if the floor plate or mag tube rails fatigue the slightest little bit.

I'll continue to run my S15 mags and see how they perform. However, were I to get another G43 or G48, I doubt I would do the conversion again.

Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
quote:
I have 3000 rounds thru 4 magazines with standard springs that come with them and have had zero feeding issues using reloads.

quote:
I think the spring issues were from some of the early ones and early 2 tone pistols.

This is FALSE. My G48 is the latest generation with the factory black slide and I had 1 failure in 120 rounds, which is something that never happened with the factory magazines.

quote:

It most certainly IS an issue. My factory mag was notably gouged within about two insertions with the Shield alloy mag catch.

quote:

The jury is still out for me. I still have more confidence in a factory stock Glock. With respect to the Shield mags, I have found it necessary to replace the magazine springs at an additional cost as the standard springs were obviously underpowered for light range ammo and I have little faith that they wouldn't reliably feed the last round or two with +P defense ammo. For that reason, I opted for the +10% springs, which I believe should be the factory standard spring for all S15 magazines.

It's my opinion that these mags are operating on the ragged edge of over compressing the springs. These S15 mags are the first magazines I have ever actually required a Maglula to load to full capacity. They will likely work fine for most people but IMO, they have a long way to go to prove themselves. The floor plates of the S15s seem to work OK, but they don't inspire the same confidence as the factory mags. It's probably unlikely, but when loaded to full capacity, the S15 mags seem like little grenades just waiting to blow all 15rnds out the bottom if the floor plate or mag tube rails fatigue the slightest little bit.

I'll continue to run my S15 mags and see how they perform. However, were I to get another G43 or G48, I doubt I would do the conversion again.

Well it looks like you shot me down, I'm going to go throw all my shield magazines in the trash now and go back to strictly Glock because something just might happen and I wouldn't want that. Roll Eyes

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well it looks like you shot me down, I'm going to go throw all my shield magazines in the trash now and go back to strictly Glock because something just might happen and I wouldn't want that. Roll Eyes

LOL! Hey dude, I'm running the S15s myself. I just didn't sell my soul to the concept. It's not exactly a secret that Shield Arms is a niche accessory/custom shop. You can't expect them to have the same level of engineering prowess that Glock has, and they haven't been in business as long as Glock either.

All I know for a fact is that in stock form my G48 was utterly reliable. It wasn't until I switched to the S15 mags that I had my first jam. And I do mean JAM as in Failure to feed stoppage with an S15 magazine. I also noted the standard S15 mag spring is notably weaker than OEM Glock magazines. The +10% springs seem better but I have to say, they SEEM to be on the edge of being over compressed when fully loaded (the stock S15 springs did too.) The most reliable firearms often have springs that are never fully compressed or fully relaxed.

These things may run fine but the jury is still out. It will take usage by LE/Mil over a period of years before they can be depended upon to the same degree that factory Glock magazines are.

posted Hide Post
Another Shield Arms Mag review. I believe if my pistol can shoot 700-1000rds with zero malfunctions with my carry ammo, it's good to go for *me*. Magazines are either reliable or they are not with the ammo and pistol you are using. Unless you get a bad batch of out of spec mags, bodies, followers or springs (the material or made/formed wrong) steel mags can last a pretty long time, with maybe only the springs need being replaced at some point, depending on usage. *My* SA-15 mags have been well tested in my pistol with my carry ammo, so *I* trust my life using them.

https://youtu.be/d1BO6q99ObU

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Biggy,

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post