SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Dovetailed rear sight won't budge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dovetailed rear sight won't budge Login/Join 
posted
I am wondering as to what the best course of action is to drift a dovetailed rear sight that doesn't want to move. I guess the answer will pertain to all pistols, but the one in question is a P365. Like some people I tend to push a few shots left for various reasons, but this gun was grouping well left of center. A glance at the rear sight showed that it was 1/16" or slightly more to the left. When I got home I stripped it down and proceeded to try to knock it over a bit with a brass punch. Many blows, some pretty sharp, later it hadn't moved. I tried a few with a steel punch but no luck either. Now I have a rear sight that hasn't moved that needs touch-up bluing. Roll Eyes
The only thing I can think of is to try to let some WD-40 work on it and try again. Thoughts?

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FrankMoses:
I am wondering as to what the best course of action is to drift a dovetailed rear sight that doesn't want to move. I guess the answer will pertain to all pistols, but the one in question is a P365. Like some people I tend to push a few shots left for various reasons, but this gun was grouping well left of center. A glance at the rear sight showed that it was 1/16" or slightly more to the left. When I got home I stripped it down and proceeded to try to knock it over a bit with a brass punch. Many blows, some pretty sharp, later it hadn't moved. I tried a few with a steel punch but no luck either. Now I have a rear sight that hasn't moved that needs touch-up bluing. Roll Eyes
The only thing I can think of is to try to let some WD-40 work on it and try again. Thoughts?

you could try kroil or pb blaster and see if that breaks it free. ive had rear sights that required a steel punch, bench mount vice, and a 4# hammer to move.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a set screw?
I second the Kroil advice.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No set screw. I suspect it is extra tight since these lightweight slides really take a beating.
Kroil it is. And another reason to acquire a vise, always had one before, my current dwelling isn’t the best set-up for a workshop.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even better reason to acquire a sight pusher.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
KROIL overnight and a sight pusher. Get ready for the CRACK when it breaks loose. LOL.

I have done a mess of sights on various guns and the SIG's and CZ's seem to be the toughest to get off.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Has it been staked?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sight pusher needed. Smith & Wesson __ I understand__uses
a press and their sights are in tight.
If only needed once use a gunsmith. If need for several firearms often___ purchase a good sight pusher. "Good" seems
to be the MGW on these forums. Likely as good as any sight pusher gets. I've found the Wheeler Engineering design very
similar.
G'luck___Smith & Wesson sights are tough to move.
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of roadrash
posted Hide Post
If not a sight pusher at least a padded bench vice along with the punch.It will move .
XDs are the worst.

Posts: 558 | Registered: May 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
KROIL overnight and a sight pusher. Get ready for the CRACK when it breaks loose. LOL.

I just about soiled myself the first time. I thought I cracked my slide.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, after all that I may haul it to a gunsmith/gun shop owner that I’m seeing on Friday. At the early May gun show in Raleigh I bought from him a superb Remington 700 BDL .270 from 1964. 20” barrel and 99% condition.
Except that the stock is cracked behind the recoil lug. Neither of us noticed it, and when I called him a few days after the show, to elicit ideas on how best to fix it, he said he’d Acraglass that area at no charge since he stands behind his stuff.
Only, he lives in Jacksonville near LaJeune, a 2 hour drive from me. So I’ll travel there and get the 700 fixed and hopefully he has a sight pusher, and I’m sure he has a vise and punches.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I used my trusty MGW Sight Pro to replace the sights on my 365 and install Trijicon HDs. The stock sights came off fairly easily.

I don't ever plan on reinstalling the stock sights, so if you'd like, I'll give you my stock SIG X-rays. Just e-mail me your address.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
.... and proceeded to try to knock it over a bit with a brass punch. Many blows, some pretty sharp, later it hadn't moved. I tried a few with a steel punch but no luck either. Now I have a rear sight that hasn't moved that needs touch-up bluing.

As others have said, a vice makes it much easier. I also use a piece of oak 1/4"x1-1/4" strip instead of a metal punch. Being wood, it hasn't marred my sights/ guns. Any hardwood should work well.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post