SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sent the rusty Glock off today - Resolved
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sent the rusty Glock off today - Resolved Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
A while back I posted how my G19 locked shut, couldnt get the slide to move and since it had a round in the chamber I needed to resolve it.

As many suggested put the nose on the edge of a wood table and pushed hard down on the frame and it opened.

What I found was it had rusted shut, the barrel shroud to slide had a large amount of rust, so much that it was pitting the barrel. In addition the top of the barrel is coated, as is the spring. The locking block has rust damage, same for the tabs for the slide in the frame. There is some pitting on the exterior on the serrations at the back as well.

The gun is only about 9 months old, and it sits in my safe with 4 other glocks, several sigs, walthers, revolvers, mpx etc none of which have a lick of rust on them.

The safe has a goldenrod and some humidity devices that have to be refreshed. I've maintained and oiled it, treated it like a sig not a glock the same as the others. Yet this one rusted, quite a bit.

Called Glock and they issued a call tag so its boxed up and gone with Fedex. Guess I should have taken some pictures before I boxed it up.

So what could have caused this, it's a Gen 4, as are several other glocks, all are taken care of it's not a truck gun it was to be my carry vs the P320 I got rid of prior to the G19.

No I don't swim with it, or run the beaches, it's made a few trips on my side to Bikeweek and around town. Wonder if my sweat got into it, I wear an OWB holster.

Quite strange this one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Posts: 9646 | Location: Mouseville, FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Weird!

Gun purchased new? (I.e., no chance someone before you fired corrosive ammunition and it wasn't cleaned properly? I know you said it was cleaned and maintained, but ....)

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 35791 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
That is bizarre. I have heard of Glocks being ditched from crime scenes and exposed to the elements not being that bad off.

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011

"There are only two reasons why a proven technique doesn't work under stress: the shooter isn't adequately trained in it's application, or he/she doesn't really believe it will work because he/she is programmed for failure to begin with." BG

Posts: 28947 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It sounds like corrosive primers.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 29309 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xwesler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Would those cause that much rust?

It almost sounds like (and idk if this is even possible) that your pistol somehow missed the Tennifer (or whatever it is nowadays) treatment. I'm really interested to see what Glock says!

Posts: 990 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Would those cause that much rust?

I believe it could if the gun was left for a time without proper cleaning after the primers were used. I saw the results of that once and it was similar in some ways. In fact, it’s difficult to imagine how such heavy rust could form on the inside of a pistol in any reasonable time without the aid of something like corrosive primer residue. There are other ways I could think of that would promote rust in a safe, but that would be ruled out by the absence of rust on any of the other guns.

Something to keep in mind is that corrosive primer residue can be removed by certain methods, including using solvents specifically designed for the purpose. Because that’s such a rare concern these days, however, not all oils and solvents are designed to do it. Although I can only guess at this point, I believe it’s possible for a gun to be cleaned and lubricated without removing such residues.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 35791 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first guess would be condensation or a combination of those listed above.

I've seen lots of Glorps recovered from crotches, butcracks, and other crappy hiding spots and they most always are still in good shape finish wise. Probably apples to oranges though since most seem to be older guns with the older finish. Many years ago I would get great laughs at reading the "Glorps don't rust threads" on another forum.

Posts: 628 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd suspect nasty ammo too. My G32 has had a fat guy sweat on it almost daily from mid-2009 up till this past November. Rain, snow, fell into mud once and all it has is a bit of holster wear.

Posts: 1659 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
What was the last type & mfg ammo used in it? Glock will be asking you the same questions.. Good luck

Posts: 8999 | Location: Carolina but Texas in my mind | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My PD recovered one that was in the river for a very long time. They didn't want to but I think it could have been cleaned up and it would have fired. I can't imagine enough rust to be as described without some external influence beyond storage conditions. I've left glocks in really crappy conditions (on a boat) and been swimming with them in salt water and never seen anything like what you describe.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 5821 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

...What I found was it had rusted shut, the barrel shroud to slide had a large amount of rust, so much that it was pitting the barrel. In addition the top of the barrel is coated, as is the spring. The locking block has rust damage, same for the tabs for the slide in the frame. There is some pitting on the exterior on the serrations at the back as well...

Rust outside the barrel? Doesn't sound like corrosive primers to me, as that should be confined to the chamber, barrel and possibly the breech face.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

Posts: 5839 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Blazer brass, magtech ammo all new stuff and it's the same ammo run through my g43 and g17 with no rust

I clean each right after range use tw 25b on barrel and rails, inox on other metal, wipe down and into safe on rack, right next to 4 other glocks that are perfectly fine

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Posts: 9646 | Location: Mouseville, FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please post back to see what Glock has to say. I have had good success with them in making things right. They paid the freight both ways but I had to call to find out what they did to fix the gun. They sent it back both times with "meets factory specs." They were nice and returned the gun promptly.

Posts: 21 | Location: MS GULF COAST | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new Glock finish is horrible! All of my newer Glocks have issues with the finish. They are not nearly as durable as the original. My G23 now converted to a 19 and G17 finish were so fragile that they were showing signs of rust and wear very quickly. I KG Gunkote'd one of them and had CCR apply their CPII finish to another. Sucks because now if you buy a Glock not only do you have to get new sights, you now have to apply a different finish. I have no idea what is going on with it but I don't like it.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1116 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen some very old Glocks with what I thought was age / use appropriate wear but nothing like the OPs experience.
I hope you get back to us on this!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 4017 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update on the ammunition. So much for the corrosive primers possibility.

This is an interesting discussion. Even with the consensus that the current Glock finish is sub-par at the very least, it’s still difficult to imagine the degree of active rust described above forming without some help. My agency still issues some old P220s with carbon steel slides and of course even the guns with stainless slides have carbon steel barrels and controls. Despite the fact that many of them receive minimal to no preventative maintenance for weeks or months at a time, I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve seen so much as a speck of rust on any of them. Our climate makes a difference of course, but I’m referring to duty guns that are carried in open holsters all the time.

I will be curious to see how this issue develops in the future.

— Leo Tolstoy

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
Picture of soggy_spinout
posted Hide Post
Current Glock steel pretreatment sucks monkey balls. I've posted about this before: two of my Gen4 G23s (both carry guns) are pitted and rusted on the outside of the slide, specifically towards the rear where it would occasionally come into contact with my skin. My Gen4 G26 suffers the same problems, from when I was training with it over a couple of weeks using the same IWB holster as I was using with the G23s. Part of the problem was with the shape of the sweat shield on the holster; it didn't provide enough of a barrier to keep any of the guns from skin contact. In my case I KNOW perspiration was the cause of the rusting. But I was still surprised at how quickly the pitting occurred. I never had any such problems with earlier Glocks, only these new ones.

When I carried my G43 over last summer I had a custom Kydex holster cut and made for the task. Oversized sweat guard. On top of that I used a thin 8" square sheet of rubber as an isolator between holster and flesh. Through heat and sweating...no transfer of moisture, no rust anywhere on that Glock. I now use the same technique with my current G23 holster, though I'm about to have another custom Kydex made to better shield the gun, just like my G43 holster does.

Posts: 6716 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The barrel is clean inside I checked in at hat, the bulk of the heavy rust is on top where the barrel touches the slide, the top of the barrel and all over the spring,

The trigger bar and internals are fine, the locking block has rust, and as soggy said the one side of the serrations has pit marks as well

posted Hide Post
Exact same thing happened to my gen4 G22 a while back. Glock replaced the pistol. Took about 10 days for the whole ordeal.
AND, in spite of all the "take better care of your guns" comments, what the glock CS rep told me was that the slide had probably not been rinsed properly between salt baths during the treatment process.
They took the gun apart and there was rust in the firing pin channel and all the other nooks & crannies.

Posts: 4475 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
[T]he glock CS rep told me ... that the slide had probably not been rinsed properly between salt baths during the treatment process.

Ah ha.

— Leo Tolstoy