SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up a beautiful S&W 625 4”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a beautiful S&W 625 4” Login/Join 
posted
Hello Guys,

My buddy sold this to me today for a great price. It came with the original box, paperwork and even the cleaning tools. I had the 3” and 5” versions of this gun in the past. The 3” was too short and the 5” too long. This 4” is just right.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Man, you can come up with some solid deals on some solid guns!

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I always thought an auto pistol caliber in a revolver was ridiculous. Then I got a 625. Smile

Beautiful specimen.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites. A 625 Mountain Gun.

DSCN0669 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
VERY nice find. Those were a simply brilliant revolver.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Posts: 13677 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats, mine is the 5" tho

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Sweet. Something about a 45 ACP revolver seems right. I just got a Thunder Ranch Model 22 a few weeks ago for a pretty respectable price.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a kick butt revolver!! Congratulations. I only have a Md 25 in .45LC in 6" so I am very envious!

Chris
Faith, Family, Charity

Posts: 45 | Location: Austin | Registered: January 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the 625. But, have never shot a .45 acp revolver. I did shoot a 9mm revolver and liked it a lot, a heck of a lot more than .38 special +p in the same gun, almost but not as much as .357 in the same gun (Ruger Blackhawk convertible 5.5"). But the 9mm was half the price of .357 and very enjoyable. I imagine .45 acp would be along the same lines.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Envious. I would love to have a 4" no lock, pre MIM 625. I have a 5" pre-lock that I love, but really want the 4" for IDPA.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I've always liked the 625. But, have never shot a .45 acp revolver. I did shoot a 9mm revolver and liked it a lot, a heck of a lot more than .38 special +p in the same gun, almost but not as much as .357 in the same gun (Ruger Blackhawk convertible 5.5"). But the 9mm was half the price of .357 and very enjoyable. I imagine .45 acp would be along the same lines.

Jimmy,
If you're ever in North Georgia, I'd be glad to have you shoot mine.

2000Z-71,
I used to use mine for IDPA.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be very careful about getting a newer S&W revolver. Barrel clocking keeps coming up and it happened to me. The shop stood behind it and refunded me but I learned my lesson. If you can get a good one a newer S&W revo would be great for IDPA as something you can shoot the snot out of and not worry about wearing or breaking a nice classic pre-lock

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you did great!

he just got promoted to b.f.f

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Looking at the markings, the grips and the front sight, that would be a 625-2, but with the "Model of 1989" rollmark on the barrel.

I'd be curious to know which is rarer - collectors make a big deal of 625-2's with the "Model of 1988" rollmark - just wonder if the 625-2 with the 1989 date aren't equally scarce?

"The Model of 1989" carried over on many subsequent models. I have a 625-2 (5" - 1988), a 625-3 (3" - 1989) and a 625-8 PC (4").

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Congratulations
I too love the 625s. That looks like it is in great condition. I would change out the grips if it were mine, the Pachmayr Gripper never appealed to me. It felt too skinny in my hands and the finger grooves did not match where my fingers were naturally going when I grasped a revolver

My first Model 625 was one of the Models of 1988. The Model of 1988 was only available as a 5" My uncle bought it new and I got it when he stopped shooting it. I used it for shooting pins back in the olden days

When I switched from 45 ACP to 45 SUPER, I came across a 4" 625 V-comp and my feeling changed

That V-comp really kept the muzzle down with those high pressure 45 SUPER loads. I was shooting noticably faster with this 625

I part ways with you on the 3" N-frames. I really, Really like them in almost any chambering. The Big Bore snubbies just appeal to me. I have several variations in blue and stainless, but we are discussing 625s here so . . . .

I even have the Mountain Gun, which is wonderful to holster carry, but mine is in 45 Long Colt as opposed to 45 ACP

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice, but I'd probably like 5". That is a good length for a N frame Smith.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful piece! Good score. I have a Model of 1988. My hands down favorite N frame.

Posts: 85 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Ah, a four-inch Model of 1989 with the ramp-style front sight - excellent!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
Four inch revolvers have always been my favorite length.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post