SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 19 gen3 or gen4
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 19 gen3 or gen4 Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
I'm fixing to purchase a new Glock 19. Should I go with a gen 3 or 4? Thank you.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I am a much bigger fan of the Gen4.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
I was hoping I would get your advice and damn if you weren't the first to reply. Thank you Jones, I appreciate it. It's been awhile since I've owned/shot a Glock and I think it's time to add one to the collection.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Agree -- overall I like the Gen 4 better with the adjustable backstrap and the beavertail. But I've liked every Gen 3 trigger better. The trick for me (pointed out by others here on SF) is to use the Gen 3 trigger bar in Gen 4. That seems to have helped in my case.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I do what konata88 does with my gen 4 guns.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Agree -- overall I like the Gen 4 better with the adjustable backstrap and the beavertail. But I've liked every Gen 3 trigger better. The trick for me (pointed out by others here on SF) is to use the Gen 3 trigger bar in Gen 4. That seems to have helped in my case.

I'll add that I also add a smooth faced trigger as long as we are talking mods.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
I was hoping I would get your advice and damn if you weren't the first to reply. Thank you Jones, I appreciate it. It's been awhile since I've owned/shot a Glock and I think it's time to add one to the collection.

You are welcome, sir.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
The Gen 4 grip without any back strap feels better to me than the Gen 3 grip and my Gen 4 trigger is better than any Gen 3 that I've shot.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3527 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been shooting since 1962. Waited through Gen1, Gen2 and Gen3. None of them fit. Bought two Gen4's, G19 and G34, couple of years after they were introduced.

Now a happy Glock owner. Thanks to Gen4...

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

I'll add that I also add a smooth faced trigger as long as we are talking mods.

This is what I did to all my compacts and subcompacts. I bought a bunch of gen3 17 triggers way back in the day.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have owned a gen 2, 3, and 4, and the 4 is my favorite. I prefer the grip texture, the slightly smaller grip, and the ability to reverse the magazine catch.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
My gen 4 34 is a really nice shooting 9mm.The backstrap really fits my hand nice.

The 34 also has the dual recoil spring system.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
other than my wife's pet gen 3 and an older for gen3 19, I've gone completely gen 4.
Feels better.
Better trigger.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I traded into a Gen 3 a couple of weeks ago and couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Gen 4 FTW.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never liked the feel of Glock. Once Gen 4 came out, I played with one. Grip texture felt better, mag release was finally a reasonable size. Still not enough for me to buy, but if you're offering a free one with a choice, I'd go Gen 4.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I would go for the Gen 4, it is the best Glock yet.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Prefer everything about the Gen4 better except the trigger action. Less mush, sharper break with the Gen3. I personally will live with both, but the Gen4 is usually my preference.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Gen 3 pistols. Gen 4 work great, too.

If you're buying new, gen 4 if price doesn't matter. Otherwise, there are a lot of excellent condition used glocks out there, take your pick. I'm quite happy with gen 3, won't turn down a good deal on a gen 4. Just picked up a great gen 4 G31, used no marks, for a hundred less than a gen 3.

As others noted, use the G17 smooth trigger in the G19. It makes a difference, especially if you shoot it much.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Gen3 RTF2 only. Smile

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
Gen 3 or Gen 4 doesn't mean as much in the small frame Glocks. In the big frame Glocks Gen4 is a must for me.

I just picked up a Gen4 19C myself. Just because I already have a Gen3 32C.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post