SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Last revolver post.,.,,for now
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last revolver post.,.,,for now Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I always liked the 19 and in 1970 I thought it was the ideal duty revolver. I agree I have 19's and a Python and think the 19's action is smoother. That is a beautiful specimen you have there. A Sacramento Sheriff's deputy I knew carried one exactly like it and I was envious.

I agree. When I came otj, everyone wanted a Python. So of course I bought one. Then one day I shot my friends 19 and discovered that the Python was not what I was led to believe. So I traded my Python for a 19. Much better pistol IMHO. One of my old partners still carries his and it has the best trigger of any gun I ever shot. I sold my 19 when the rest of the world went to semi-autos and I realized I was under gunned with a revolver.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
AFAIK the patridge sight was not standard on your average revolver. It isn't good for drawing from a holster, and it's sharp edges can snag easily. It was available as an option from both Colt and S&W, and both manufacturers made target models so it was available on certain models of certain revolvers. S&W still offers models with the patridge sight through their performance center, and I think it's an option as a special order. If you market a gun as a target model, it better have an action to match it's advertising, which is why I thing the OP's wheel gun might have had some factory work done on it.

quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
The point is if the gun has a target front sight on a longer barrel, it probably had action work as well.

Again, please explain why a standard sight on a standard barrel length indicates action work?

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
That is a fantastic one,I bought my late wife that same model and changed the cokes to pac's for her small hands.
She loved to shoot it weekly and was a great shot.
she carried in a desantis shoulder holster while hunting.
Last year I gave to my youngest son,it made me sad every time I was in the safe and saw it,it had to go.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
AFAIK the patridge sight was not standard on your average revolver.

That is incorrect, it was standard on the OP's 6 inch barrel. It was not standard on the 2.5" or 4" models. If you bought a standard Model 19 with a 6" barrel, it came with that pinned front sight.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
AFAIK the patridge sight was not standard on your average revolver.

That is incorrect, it was standard on the OP's 6 inch barrel. It was not standard on the 2.5" or 4" models. If you bought a standard Model 19 with a 6" barrel, it came with that pinned front sight.

For your viewing pleasure.

19-4 6" barrel ramped front sight.

19-5 6" barrel ramped front sight.

another 19-5 6" barrel ramped front sight.

I have what I think is a factory 27-2 with a patridge sight. The sight is not pinned on, the whole sight and base is soldered. Pythons have a pinned front sight. The base is soldered to the barrel, but the blade itself is pinned.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
OP's revolver is a 19-3, (not a -4 or -5) and it came from the factory with those sights, and there are no dots to connect to say it probably had an action job. There is nothing about the outside appearance of that gun in those pictures that indicates an action job.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you bought a standard Model 19 with a 6" barrel, it came with that pinned front sight.

Cool story bra, but factually incorrest as I've stated.

To the OP, sorry to side track your thread. Enjoy your wheelgun.

Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
Those are some beautiful Smiths posted. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prefer SS or nickel, so I like it!

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's hard to beat a nice K Frame. Congrats!

Posts: 1699 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Smith and Wesson. I had one but sold it to my best friend. I'm the odd man out here, I prefer the Python. But, they are both beautiful great shooters.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a lotta bling, right there. Pretty glitzy for my tastes but some love 'em. But....if it's got that righteously famous SA and DA trigger and accuracy to match...well then it's a keeper! YMMv Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I had a 6" S&W Model 19 back in the day. The Patridge type front sight was standard on the 6" Model 19s.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of the older S&W's had excellent actions. They seemed to have less issues than Colt actions in general as well.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post