SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help Request: Sig P220 Dawson FO front sight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Request: Sig P220 Dawson FO front sight Login/Join 
Picture of nathab2
posted
Hi all,
I have a Sig PP20ST that is set up with a Warren Tactical rear sight and used to have a Dawson Precision FO front. At one point years ago I replaced the FO front with a Meprolight #6, which I understood to be the factory front sight height.

After several years of shooting it in this configuration, I've come to appreciate that, while the front post is the correct height, it is too wide for the Warren Tactical rear notch - the narrow blade on the old Dawson front "fit" much better and allowed light through the rear sight.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the size/height/width of the correct Dawson front sight post - was hoping that the crew here at SigForum might have some advice. The variety of options at the Dawson website is awesome, but overwhelming for an ignoramus like myself!

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 897 | Location: OR, USA | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Dawson FO sights on several of my pistols, I like them very much. Almost all of my shooting is outdoors, general range use.

I would suggest that you measure the sights you presently have on the P220, and if you are okay with point of aim vs. point of impact, start from there. I would also suggest you contact Dawson customer support and give them your specs., as well as tell them your intended use. They can guide you through the selection process. In my experience they have been very helpful.

Regards, good luck.

Doug

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nathab2
posted Hide Post
Thank you Doug, much appreciated!

Posts: 897 | Location: OR, USA | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I don't know where the center of the aiming dot on a Dawson is placed along the front sight blade compared to Sig's, but a Sig #6 front sight is 5.88mm/0.230" tall.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Remember SIG counts the dovetail in their measurements and Dawson measures theirs from the slide to the top of the sight. They have a helpful calculator on their sight to help you get the right height and POI.

I did the same with a P226; wanted to keep the POI the same, just wanted a FO front. Measured the OEM carefully with calipers/depth gauge from slide to top, and got the same height Dawson. Worked great.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
Just contact Dawson Precision and tell them what you want, they will tell you what height you need.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nathab2
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help fellas!

posted Hide Post

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post