SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pair of Vintage Colt Detective Specials From My LGS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pair of Vintage Colt Detective Specials From My LGS Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
I just rescued this gorgeous pair of Colt "Dick" Specials from the consignment case of my LGS. One was manufactured in 1972 while the other dates to 1973. Conditions are near mint and mint respectively. Sadly, they have been separated from their original boxes. With a bit of negotiating, I was able to take the pair home with me for $1K (plus a $10 stipend for the Commonwealth). These blue steel beauties take me back to my childhood when most of the Hollywood & TV good guys (and many of the bad guys) carried a snub nose revolver. Man, I do miss the era of wood and steel.

Top - 1973. Bottom - 1972.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Beautiful classics there!

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Very nice, congrats on a great deal!

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Smoking deal on two classics.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Absolutely fantastic pair of revolvers! I've got one made in 72 as well, not quite in the shape yours is. I've carried it and shot it some. The 72s were the first to roll out with the ejector rod enclosed I believe.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it was a steal at 1K for both. I would have whipped out my credit card with blazing speed for that deal.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16062 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Colts

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Congrats, that is an excellent buy. Good price and pristine looking revolvers. I too would have snapped those up if I saw them.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16661 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Nice finds.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've got one of roughly that vintage in nickel. No factory grips, though.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!!

IMO, you got a great deal on a beautiful pair of Colts.

Congratulations.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Bad ass.

Never been a huge Colt guy but I would happily take those.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7670 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
That model and series is my favorite, with the enclosed ejector rod.

Two very classic pistols, glad you found them.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
What a gorgeous pair you snagged! Congrats!

I think I would order a nice “New York Reload” double holster for those. Then again, I’d probably leave the “mint” one “mint”, and only shoot the “near mint” one.

Enjoy!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I always wanted one with the shroud around the ejector rod.

Do you want to trade?

10-7 1963 Det Spcl knife closed by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Beautiful.

Posts: 2873 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, I wish I could find deals like that. Congrats

Posts: 6870 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did Frank Cannon pack one of these in his TV detective series? I know he kept poking his revolver in the bad guys belly. I recall he did not ever chase anyone due to his substantial girth, and the snub nose was his go to gun.

Beautiful guns at a fantastic price!

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Man, I wish I could find deals like that. Congrats

Thank you. Now that I'm retired, I can hit the shops in the afternoon before the work crowd arrives. Lately, I've done pretty well checking out the various LGS consignment cases. The two DS's pictured above came from the same estate. The father died and the son was selling his guns. Bittersweet indeed.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post