SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Milling Glock slide, rear sight in front or back of electronic sight?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milling Glock slide, rear sight in front or back of electronic sight? Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted
My chief told me today he wants to try a reflex/rds on his duty gun and will approve it for the rest of us after he played with my 35MOS.

I wish he would’ve said something last year since we just got new guns in January.

Anyways, I’m trying to source someone to mill his Glock 31 (gen4) slide.

What’s everyone’s pros/cons on having the rear sight in front of the sight? I’ve only experienced the standard Glock MOS setup on my 35. Since they don’t make a 22/31 slide with MOS, I am having his slide sent out.

Thanks.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrprovy
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot mine much yet, but I had battlewerx.com cut mine for the RMR with the rear sight moved forward of the optic. They also cerekoted the slide. The fit ind finish of the gun is incredible, highly recommended!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrprovy,

Posts: 62 | Location: New Yorkistan | Registered: April 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

What’s everyone’s pros/cons on having the rear sight in front of the sight?

Pros: you get a bit less visual clutter that way - window appears less obscured, you get some protection of a glass, and I prefer this for concealment because suppressor height rear sight prints like a mofo.
Con: it becomes an optic-only gun really, since the sight radius is too short to use it for any length of time without the optic. Some of those sights don't give exact poa/poi, the Unity Atom setup as an example.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrprovy
posted Hide Post
Definitely check out this video and others from Sage Dynamics; he's been running/testing/researching RDS sights on handguns for years.

https://youtu.be/zrrlxEwUaRM https://youtu.be/zrrlxEwUaRM

Posts: 62 | Location: New Yorkistan | Registered: April 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
There are some Safariland duty holsters have problems with the sight mounted in front of the optic.

I would not mount the sights in front on a duty pistol if you ever plan on using Safariland

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Thanks every. I was looking at Battlewerx since it was the cheapest to cut and refinish.

We are a Safariland agency so we should probably standardize on one cut. No one else around us is doing it yet. An officer on a neighboring PD got his 19 authorized as his duty weapon and he’s using a Safariland holster with the Trijicon RMR (the rest of their department is Glock 22).

I’m researching policies now. We’ll probably standardize on one brand as well so it’s consistent with regards to training.

I really wish he would’ve asked last year. I would’ve waited on new guns and transitioned us to the 45 MOS.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the standard rear sight position, especially now that the new trijicon SRO is available.

Posts: 173 | Location: boston | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would look at Agency' AOS for milling. Will allow the use of future optics and allows the individual to pick whether they want the rear sight in front of or behind the optic.

Use the Sage Dynamics white paper as a starting point for policy stuff.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
If you plan on using the new SRO, front sight at the back is the only option.

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I’m taking a different route. I’m trying to get a personally owned policy approved to where after a certain amount of time, with a certain amount of skill, the officer can choose from a list. From this list are CORE, MOS, and RX guns.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is good stuff.

If anyone has a personally-owned or agency-owned policy they could share, especially if it includes optics, I'd love to see a copy of it as we're slowly heading that direction but nothing has been drafted yet.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Although mine is an M&P, not a Glock. I prefer the rear sight behind the optic.
For all things RMR Glock related look at One Source Tactical. www.suarezinternational.com They've been using red dots on Glocks for a long time. If not THE first to do it, definitely one of the firsts.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I wish we could do personally owned weapons. Every gun is department issued. We get $475 a year for a uniform allowance and we will allow officers to use it towards a sight. Milling they will pay for. If you retire, it all goes with you. If you quit, you keep the sight if you’ve had it over a year. You don’t get the gun if you quit. If you’re fired, you get neither. No refunds on milling.

Waiting to see if Battlewerx will do a rear dovetail cut. It says only on 45/10 slides. If not I will look for another place.

Not minority enough!

Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
I would recommend shooting a bunch of action matches before committing to this on a duty weapon. I've seen experienced shooters occasionally have difficulty with initial acquisition of the dot or losing the dot during the course of fire under time/competition stress.

An actual gun battle is more dynamic and the issue can only be amplified. I personally wouldn't even consider it.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I heard similar horror stories with dots on rifles.

Somehow, we survived.

www.opspectraining.com

Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I heard similar horror stories with dots on rifles.

Somehow, we survived.

I know you're a seasoned shooter but many of the LEO guys at the matches are not very good and I'm being generous. A dot may seem like the answer to their prayers but it will become their worst nightmare if they get into a fight.

Red dots on rifles and handguns are two very different things. I have a dot on my AR but I'll probably never put on one a defensive handgun.

I don't mean to derail this thread. Just food for thought with respect to the inexperienced members of your department.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I know. I had issues in the beginning with hunting for the dot, hunting for my sights, etc.
I primarily point shoot and it bothered me for a while.

Right now, only the chief wants it and I'll make him familiarize himself with it. One other guy wants it but he's too cheap so he won't do it.

I only have my 35 MOS setup and I'm letting people try it out before they make up their mind.

Not minority enough!

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Rebumping this with more questions.

I wrote the policy allowing RMRs and only one officer is doing it. He chose not to mill and is using a rear dovetail mount. His holster is on order. So I guess we will find out if the 6360RDS holster fits.

But today the chief told me he didn’t order his because he wants to make every officer have one so I’m working on quotes now.

Does anyone know if there is a duty holster for Glock 17/22/31 with NO WML that would accommodate the RMR? Most of us have WMLs so the 6360RDS will be fine but some old timers don’t have WMLs. I’m tasking my range guys with transition training everyone.

Getting RMR type 2s. Should I order the sealing plates also?

Now I’m wishing I switched us to the 45 MOS guns.

Not minority enough!

posted Hide Post
Duty holsters I can't help on, but check for fit several of my normal 17 holsters had no issue with RMR mounted.
You do want the sealing plate in my experience. It's not the critical issue it was in the Type 1's but it should be there.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
You are pretty much screwed on duty holsters. There are so few choices. Let me back that up. There are so few Safariland choices. To me, in 2019, there are no other viable duty holsters choices outside of Safariland.

I called and talked to a contact I have there six months or so ago about the possibility of them introducing a 7TS style holster for a Gen5 with a MRDS. He laughed. They are so far behind on military contracts right now that they aren't going to take on any kind of new work for a while. He even said that getting the "staple" holsters (6360) is going to be tough for a while. You might have to wait weeks.

Some of the guys I work with are about to put an order together on one of the 50 percent off deals. I don't expect to get any of the holsters I'm going to order this year. I'm ordering a DO holster for a 19, a 7ts for a 19 with a XC1, and a plain 7ts holster no light.

www.opspectraining.com