SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolver guys- Python vs 586/686 trigger
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver guys- Python vs 586/686 trigger Login/Join 
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned Both actions and they have their unique individual appeal. With Pythons currently priced in the stratosphere, I’d be reluctant to pay for one let alone use one after the purchase.
To borrow a coined phrase, “an elegant weapon for a more civilized age”...

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
When my issued revolver was a Python I chose to qualify with a personally owned S&W M19, because it had a superior double action. Most of the qualification course (all but the 50 yard line) was DA, and shooting the Python would have been a disadvantage.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
When my issued revolver was a Python I chose to qualify with a personally owned S&W M19, because it had a superior double action. Most of the qualification course (all but the 50 yard line) was DA, and shooting the Python would have been a disadvantage.

How odd, I found just the opposite.

I always felt that the longer trigger stroke of the Python was an advantage during quarterly qualifications...but I learned to shoot the 18 rounds at 50 yards (24 in PPC) in DA; more consistent accuracy

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
How odd, I found just the opposite.

Not odd at all, many people (including some in this thread) prefer the smooth S&W DA to the stacked Colt. The Colt SA was better, but not enough to offset the DA.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
...to the stacked Colt. The Colt SA was better, but not enough to offset the DA.

I only shot my Python in DA, but mine didn't stack.

It had a dog-leg in the upper leaf of the mainspring to avoid contact with the lower leaf

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First handgun I ever bought was a Python, 4", Blue, in 1974 for $250.
Always had one around since then, sometimes 2 or 3.
Current one is a stainless 6" with a Walt Sherman Roller Bearing Trigger modification.
It is the nicest double action I've ever had on one.
Should shoot it more but the autos sort of took over.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 368 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents, do remember that the Python was hand fitted, so individual experiences will vary. Especially if you have a previously owned revolver.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Gents, do remember that the Python was hand fitted, so individual experiences will vary. Especially if you have a previously owned revolver.

Would agree with this. Additionally, buying used, you never really know if the revolver had any previously smithing work done, as was the case of 2 different M-29's I owned in the past. One was noticeably smoother SA and DA so I assumed this. I'd could also guess that two different shooters would possibly perceive a difference in pulls. It's been some time since I used the Lyman gauge on my current Python but as memory would serve, it has some of the smoothest DA and SA pull that I've experienced. Your mileage may vary.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colts were popular back when bullseye shooters were still using .38 revolvers for Centerfire. The V spring gave smooth thumb cocking.

I got to shoot a Sherman roller bearing gun once. It must have been worn or not well kept, because every once in a while, the roller would skid instead of rolling and you would get a tough pull.

Say, pip, does your gun have the modified trigger? I didn't think a raftered mainspring did a lot to reduce stacking.

One problem with the Colt is that the same spring runs the hammer and the trigger rebound. Rafter or narrow the V spring to reduce the trigger pull, and the reset gets sluggish. That was the main thing I saw in side by side shooting of Jungkind Colt vs assorted S&W.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gents, do remember that the Python was hand fitted, so individual experiences will vary.

So were the 586/686

quote:
Especially if you have a previously owned revolver.

There was a lot more variation between used S&Ws as there were a lot more folks willing to "tune" (mess with) the simpler action

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Gents, do remember that the Python was hand fitted, so individual experiences will vary.

So were the 586/686

quote:
Especially if you have a previously owned revolver.

There was a lot more variation between used S&Ws as there were a lot more folks willing to "tune" (mess with) the simpler action

I'm going off the Kuhnhausen manual, he's got a section on MIM and the reduction of hand fitting processes in the S&Ws. Given that eh 686 went into production in 1980 and went MIM in 1997, I believe that there are more MIM 686s out than the old forged and fitted models, I could be wrong.

I haven't seen too many customized 686s out on the east cost. I've seen a ton of customized Model 10s and 19s. But, I've never wandered out west.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned a Colt Stainless Python in the early Nineties, at the same time I owned S&W N-Frame and Ruger GP100 revolvers. I shot the Python the least well, of the three types. One issue was that the Python seemed to have a longer trigger stroke, that was not as good for me, for fast DA shooting. I think grip design entered into that equation, as well. The Python did well in single-action shooting.

I still have that N-Frame and GP100 revolvers. I have since bought more revolvers, mostly Ruger and S&W.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's interesting how we all feel about this. I have had both, still have the Python. I personally don't feel it's even a fair comparison. I think the Python is in another class. Not that I don't love smith and Wesson revolvers. My best friend says I'm wrong and would easily pick the Smith.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post