SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolver guys- Python vs 586/686 trigger
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver guys- Python vs 586/686 trigger Login/Join 
posted
Other than a "Walking Dead" prop, what do I get for $2,500 in a Python that I don't get in a pre-lock 586/686 for less than $1,000?

In handling, I think I may actually prefer the trigger on the S&W. Am I missing something?

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Why you get a collectable. And if you intend to shoot the Snake, its probably got a good SA trigger. Its sexey as hell all over the place but, it aint never going to be what a DA S&W 586 or 686 is. The Colt is known for its frail timing and, IMO its serrated and square edged trigger is not condusive to quality and comfort in double action fire. Its a finger buzz saw. A L frame S&W and especially a tuned one is as sweet a DA revolver you can shoot. I had a Bill Davis tuned 686 and can say I've never owned a silkeyer DA trigger in a wheel gun. Not so fond of the S&W red ramp/white outline sights as I feel a black patdridge blade is more better for shot placement on black targets such as PPC.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have both and shoot both.

The trigger on the Python is noticeably better than the Smith, but the Python is a collectors item with extreme hard to find parts availability.

As for the "frail lockwork", it's not that different from any other Colt revolvers, sorta a cross between the D frame and J frame Colts. It just puts a little pressure on the hand to ensure they cylinder stays tight in place.

I've had Smiths lose their timing as much as a Colt. The Smith, you can remedy with an oversized hand that you fit to the loose gun. I refit every pre-lock Smith I get with the oversized hand and time it to lock the cylinder to the bolt early so a very slow DA pull will ensure the cylinder is locked in place during ignition.

You can't go wrong with a Smith that has had the reduced rebound put in it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have both and shoot them frequently.

Both of mine have had trigger jobs. The double action on my 586 is better than the Python. The SA on both are very close.

I think the Python is more accurate but not enough to cause concern.

The biggest difference.....the Python is a Python! There is something special about them.

Posts: 82 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never seen the draw on Colt revolver triggers. I've always been a Smith fan.

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I got my 6" Python in the 1970s, a tuned Colt DA was the lightest and smoothest available. (A stock Colt DA stacks like mad and I would have even then have had no interest in one.)

But time has moved on and S&W has passed them by. Not to mention the fact that Colt is not making DA revolvers any more.

Posts: 3283 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Not to mention the fact that Colt is not making DA revolvers any more.

Well they sort of are... had one in my hand the other day. I kind of liked it, very much so. Though I don't have a good enough use for it to buy one, and certainly not at the price they're surely going to ask. As for "stacks like mad"... I pulled the double action trigger and was surprised at how smooth it was, relatively speaking because it wasn't work on. It was nice... but the hammer didn't drop? I thought "Is the broken?" Then with much more force the hammer fell. Wow. Big Grin

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I basically cut my teeth on S&W's of several models, fantastic revolvers. I purchased my first Python in 1980 and loved it, I wasn't into the mechanics so much as the aesthetics. Since I've just always had a Python around, always will, they're a great revolver, and I think Grant Cunningham best addressed the fragility aspects you hear much about. I've never had one go out of time or fail in any way. S&W will always have a special place in the revolver kingdom, they make a great revolver, no question. IMO it just boils down to personal preferences, some love S&W others are Colt Python fans, you can't fault either as both are great makes. I'm glad to have snapped up a nice 6" and they're getting harder to find a decent one for a good price since they quit making them.

A good read from Grant Cunningham on the question of how fragile the Python is..

LINK>>>> The Delicate Python Myth

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I prefer the trigger in the S&W revolvers too. That's why I sold all my Pythons 20+ years ago for $600/each.

I'm a moron.

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
Almost 20 yrs. Ago I needed an extractor rod for my 1981 nickel Python.
Bringing it to 2 different Colt warranty repair shops in the area. I was told both times that my revolver had the smoothest action & trigger that either shop had seen in several years.
My pistol was polished, tunned, & trigger pull lightened by another gunsmith in Pittsburgh prior to showing it to the other shops.
I am a decent pistol smith for S&W models, but never gotten one as smooth as my Colt Python.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 182 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Brother asked a similar question when I was home on leave over XMAS. I had a 686-3 and my father had a circa 1966 Python (SER# 58XXX)for him to shoot. My Brother had limited experience with revolvers as he learned to shoot semi autos in the Police Academy and only owned a J frame and an older K frame he never shot and later gave to me. He was able to detect a slight difference in the DA pull between the two. I personally find the DA trigger on the Python much better than the Smith.

The Python did come out of timing on us around 1999/2000. I don't consider that bad for a 34 year old (at the time) revolver. It had been shot with reloads, .357 Mag and Super-Vel. I was actually shooting some vintage .38 +P Super-Vels when it came out of time.

It's now a Safe Queen, and we shoot S&Ws instead. I'm interested in a model 27 vs Python. I can say that the 28 doesn't have as nice of an action as the Python.

Posts: 4576 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If you want a collector, get a Python. If you want a shooter, get a Smith. I say that as a guy who inherited a Python that was carried on duty by a parent. The other parent carried a 686 Combat Magnum on duty. Wish that one hadn't gotten away before I had a say. I would loved to have owned both, and as such, I'll probably be trying to buy a 686 before long.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Another thing about Pythons. If you ever need to try and replace the original grips with good or very good condition, be prepared for sticker shock. I managed to find a mint pair and it was at just a dollar or two over $400 now. I guess that you can replace them with many other after market grips, but originals in mint condition are getting as rare as hens teeth. At the time I could afford them due to a small windfall so I snapped them up..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have two Pythons. A stock blued mid 80's 4" and a late 90's 6" stainless. The stock Python trigger is better than the stock S&W trgger, and the worked Python is better than my worked M27, although not by much. Finding someone to work on a Python is difficult, and parts are drying up. My Colts see limited range duty withthe bulk of my wheel gun shooting being handeled by S&W and Ruger.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a python and a small cache of S&W's. Just amazes me that you can still find really good deals on S&W 586 and 686 pre-lock revolvers. They can be found cheaper than the new "classic models", just surprised the prices haven't increased much over the past years. I know its not a model 27 but still for around $600 you can find yourself a great Smith.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The price difference comes from the collector market, which prizes the Colt.

They are very similar revolvers. Good examples, or well-tuned example are both excellent revolvers. There may be slight differences, but it would be hard to call one better than the other.

For a user, though, Smith is clearly superior. Parts are available, and any decent gunsmith will be familiar with the lockwork.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I have two Pythons. A stock blued mid 80's 4" and a late 90's 6" stainless. The stock Python trigger is better than the stock S&W trgger, and the worked Python is better than my worked M27, although not by much. Finding someone to work on a Python is difficult, and parts are drying up. My Colts see limited range duty withthe bulk of my wheel gun shooting being handeled by S&W and Ruger.

Grant Cunningham is an excellent source for info on the Pythons and is an expert Python gunsmith. In this article about Grant, I see he is no longer taking new business but did list two gunsmiths that he recommends for Colt and S&W, maybe it will help you if you need assistance.

LINK>>> Python Gunsmiths

Regards, Will G.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Other than a "Walking Dead" prop, what do I get for $2,500 in a Python that I don't get in a pre-lock 586/686 for less than $1,000?

Panache

I will add that the 586/686 at <$1k is an amazingly good value

quote:
In handling, I think I may actually prefer the trigger on the S&W. Am I missing something?

I've carried both as duty weapons and shot both in competition and much preferred to longer trigger stroke of the Python. The more accurate barrel was just an added plus.

With the level that Apex Tactical can bring a competition revolver up to, the 686 really stands at the top of the competition pile.

Of the 3 Pythons I had, I've sold off 2 to fund my S&W competition revolvers

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14179 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I prefer the trigger in the S&W revolvers too. That's why I sold all my Pythons 20+ years ago for $600/each.

I'm a moron.

I had 4 and sold them. Then they started to go up in price. A friend knew I wanted another one and hooked me up with a great deal. This one I won't sell.

Posts: 82 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I bought my used and refinished '61 Python as a shooter back in '79 for $125. Best money I ever spent on a firearm. Great trigger both in single action and double action.

(this is why it will always be nothing more than a shooter)

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2190 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post