SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Storing boxes?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storing boxes? Login/Join 
posted
What do you do with the boxes for your firearms, either rifle or pistol?
I have boxes for all guns purchased new and some of the used ones, from plastic molded to cardboard from the 70s. Need a good storage solution for them...

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Pistols are stored in their original boxes. Rifle boxes are stuffed in the closet, and some are in man cave.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I built shelves between the storage trusses of my garage attic.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Attic storage as well. I don't worry about the cardboard breaking down because my roof has spray foam insulation (105 degrees is the hottest I've seen during the summer).

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I toss most of them eventually.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Someday, guys will pay a premium for a Glock 19 with "box and papers". Then you'll be sorry. Razz

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I keep them, but separate from the guns themselves. IOW, I don't store the guns in them. Should I sell a gun, original boxes add value, although an intangible one.

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Kept on shelves in storage. I don’t keep cardboard rifle boxes though.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of my boxes are plastic, but I've got a 39-2, AMT Hardballer, ruger single six from 76 and a couple commemorative Winchesters in cardboard.

THINKING of using the dead space in the sides of my closet to store empty boxes. About 22x10.5" of dead area behind the doors I'm not using.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
On top of the safe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I don't leave them visible for anyone (friend or foe) to see. I see no need to leave clues as to what may be found when you're not there.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
Upstairs closet in the Man Cave.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Old Vark WSO
posted Hide Post
Crawl space - along with primers and powder. Cool and dry.

Posts: 75 | Location: Biggest Little City in the World | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Never gave it much thought. Most of mine were bought used and never came with a box. The few I do have are stored in the boxes

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Stored under the space under basement stairs in plastic tubs.

Posts: 1351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Mine go into a large box out in the shed.

That and many of them reside in the basement at my parents' house.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wherever I have some free space. Some are in the garage storage space, some in the basement, some in the spare room. There are only a handful of pistols I store in their original boxes, most are free hanging it in the safe.

Posts: 760 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I have a handful of cardboard boxes for some of my older pistols (e.g. pre-68 Walther PPK, Colt Woodsman & etc.) which I keep in my safe. The inexpensive plastic cases that come with most modern pistols however are often discarded. Since I don't use them for storage or transport - not to mention they take up too much space - I typically sell them on a major on-line auction. I also keep a few modern cardboard rifle/shotgun boxes on a shelf in my basement. These are used mostly for shipping purposes rather than collectibility. If I'm shipping a rifle/shotgun which otherwise doesn't have a dedicated box, I simply grab one off the shelf. With most modern firearms, I'm not nearly as interested in keeping the original box as I was when I was younger.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
^^^^^

Someday, guys will pay a premium for a Glock 19 with "box and papers". Then you'll be sorry. Razz

Bahahah!

Then again, I SHOOT my guns so most of the collectable value would be nil... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I use banker boxes to store all the original handgun boxes, keeps them clean. I’ve got some racks above my garage doors where I can double stack them and they’re out of the way. I discreetly label them so it’s not obvious to the casual observer that I’ve got a couple dozen boxes full of cases for firearms. Plus, when the garage doors are open, you can't see them at all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tooky13,

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post