SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M&P Shield 2.0?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M&P Shield 2.0? Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted
Given the substantial rebates on the current Shields, I'm thinking the Shield 2.0 will be along shortly. Anyone have any info they could share? I'm REALLY liking my M&P 2.0 9mm 4.25" no safety I've had for a couple of months now. Debating on a deeply discounted Shield 9mm or waiting on the potential 2.0 release.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I generally don't care for ported pistols but I was really impressed with the Performance Center shield in 9mm that I was able to use today. The fiber optic sights were fast in acquisition.

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my ported performance center 9mm shield.. I've heard some people not like the muzzle flash, but I haven't had any issues... and it's either about 1/3 off for non ported or 1/4 off the standard pricing for ported shield (not quite that much but pretty close) you really can't go wrong.... then when/if the shield 2.0s come out either you have 2 guns or you sell the original and probably get close to all your money back out of it... really can't go wrong with this rebate...

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the PC Shield. I shoot it as well as my Glock 26. It has a decent trigger and has been reliable, no issues with the porting. I would classify it as a soft shooter! MG

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never notice the flash on my CORE, I notice the pressure from the ports. I hate it. I will eventually "upgrade" my barrel to an unported one.

I also notice no definable flattening of the gun while shooting. I suspect if I video taped it from the side you could tell, standing behind it while shooting I don't think it shoots flatter so the pressure thump is for nothing. At least to me in 9 mm.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I'd wait for the 2.0. The Shield 45(which appears to follow the 2.0 changes) is much improved over my 9mm Shield. The grip texture and trigger(45 stock feels like the 9 with Apex sear) are great.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody knows if there will be a Shield 2.0 soon. It's purely speculation based on the oddity of S&W offering a $75 rebate on the Shield which has been the top selling pistol since it was introduced.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
Nobody knows if there will be a Shield 2.0 soon. It's purely speculation based on the oddity of S&W offering a $75 rebate on the Shield which has been the top selling pistol since it was introduced.
I agree with that view point. Speculation that's all that it is.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:

Conjecture, yes. But certainly not a WAG. Pretty sure S&W knows; they see the marketplace changing for single-stacks, and they can't be complacent any more than anyone else can, especially since they were the top dog in poly single-stacks for such a long time.

Glock G43 sales had to bite into something, and in all probability that manifests itself into S&W's Shield sales numbers and growth, where that has been taking the brunt of any erosion ever since the Glock's arrival onto the market. The Shield was by far THE dominant single-stack poly gun for our shop right up until the G43 went live. It was the same for our local competitors as well, based on the frequent difficulties customers were having in locating one, at least locally. They still do sell very well today, but for our sales numbers they no longer dominate that segment as they did only a couple of years ago. If anything it's now more like they share the lead with the Glock these days. Overall I'm pretty sure we sell slightly more G43s than we do 9mm Shields based on my ordering quantities, and I suspect there are a LOT of gun shops across the land that are seeing similar if not the same results. It would be crazy for S&W to be content with that kind of inroad being made by Glock.

The 2.0 Shield is inevitable. Thanks to Glock and others like the LC9S and PPS M2, S&W has to show that it's continuing to develop and advancing their gun. Plus, precedence already exists in the wild with the Shield45 and the double-stack M&P 2.0 guns. The 9/40 Shields are merely the next up for a refresh. The current rebate is in all likelihood a final last hurrah for the original design, something to reduce if not eliminate inventory...just like it's used by auto makers and electronics manufacturers and others for the same purpose in those respective industries.

Besides, with 2.0 out in the larger M&Ps we have more shoppers that are now asking about when similarly updated Shields will be arriving. People always want 'new', and that cat is already out of the "2.0" bag. Hell, we started hearing queries when the Shield45 went live last year. Yeah, with wholesale buyers always chatting things up with manufacturers S&W fully knows that it has to happen, and definitely sooner than later.

Slow day today but two G43 sales, no Shield9 sales despite the rebate form display prominently located nearby the guns. One day isn't exactly a precise barometer, but two newbies fixating on the 'Glock' name and ignoring the compelling value of the Shield9 shows at least a little bit of something that S&W has to be concerned with.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
In our shop G43 and LC9s outsell the shield 6 to 1 and 4 to 1 respectively.

The Walther PPS 9mm outsells the shield 8 to 1!! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:

That certainly reflects how a persuasive salesman can influence sales.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
The only "persuasion" needed is put one of the other models in the customers hands AFTER they have tried the shields gritty spongy trigger and tried to rack its slide. Smile

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I'm not in a rush to buy another 9mm carry pistol anyway so I've decided not to bite on the Shield purchase even with the discounted prices and the rebate. I'd rather wait and see if/when they do come out with a 2.0 Shield sibling to my 2.0 4.25" M&P. I did however decide to fill the noticeably vacant .38 Special +P snub spot in my lineup with a Ruger LCRx after finding a great deal on one. Picking it up tomorrow. Smile

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:

Interesting. When our first G43s arrived we saw a wide ration like that (well, more like 15:1). But over the past year it's come back down, probably 6:5 in favor of the G43. Price still matters for our customers. So does mag capacity right out of the box. The LC9S has become something of a dog for us. Too many complaining (like me, of all people!) about how the relatively skinny grip feels too unsubstantial in hand. I swear, I wasn't the one who polluted their vulnerable minds and thoughts.

In all seriousness, lately even the XDS9 which had been languishing prior to the Essentials packaging has finally caught on and now moves out faster of our bound book than the Rugers have been doing.

Speaking of the LC9S: quite a few of our customers are also put off by the lone magazine that comes with the gun, and end up with a mindset that makes them more than willing to look elsewhere. That marketing mystique of perception of value does seem to matter to our clientele, even though buying a second mag still puts a LC9S a few dollars less than a comparable Shield9, at least with our pricing.

As for Walther's PPS M2: a HARD one to figure. When we ran out in December, EVERYONE just had to have one. Now that we got a batch in...crickets. It's a good gun (even though I dislike the factory trigger on mine), but now that we've got them some of the SAME customers who bitched about our previous lack of inventory now fidget and hem and haw at jumping in and actually BUYING one.

Customers...life would be SO great if we could just figure out a way to make money without them. Wink

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Agreed! Work would be very pleasant were it not for the customers! Smile

Yes, we get complaints on the one mag with the LC9 too. Kinda chintzy on Rugers part, IMO.

YES that PPS 9mm sells itself. Especially in the LE package with night sights and 3 mags for $40 more than the standard version.

XDs9 doesn't get much attention since we ran out of the dark gray framed version. Everyone wanted that gun. The FDE and black, not so much. Even with the free shit deal from Springfield. Wink

And the shield just doesn't sell. 9, 40, 45, doesn't matter. Customers who are interested in it, get disinterested real fast when they try and rack the slide and squeeze the lousy factory trigger.

Put the PPS 9mm in their hands after that and it sells itself! Especially for $20 less than the 9mm shield - before the rebate. And we have the rebate info posted on the case right above those shields too.

I've got a 3913, so I could care less about ANY of them! Wink Smile

posted Hide Post
I've never understood why people say the Shields slide is hard to manipulate. I can't feel any significant difference between it or the lc9s or the XDS. What's interesting is that the trigger on the lc9 is better but the shield is considerably easier to shoot, having less recoil and for me, its much more accurate despite the trigger. It's strange that the lc9s would outsell the other two. I know its just my opinion but its the inferior pistol compared to the shield and especially the xds.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3523 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never understood why people say the Shields slide is hard to manipulate. I can't feel any significant difference between it or the lc9s or the XDS.

Brand new right out of the box the Shield often is something of a bitch to get the slide stop to lock back the slide. Too often but not always, they're ultra tight. 18DAI is right; that DOES intimidate customers until one explains that it loosens up quickly with live fire, which fortunately it does.

Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
I've never understood why people say the Shields slide is hard to manipulate. I can't feel any significant difference between it or the lc9s or the XDS.

Brand new right out of the box the Shield often is something of a bitch to get the slide stop to lock back the slide. Too often but not always, they're ultra tight. 18DAI is right; that DOES intimidate customers until one explains that it loosens up quickly with live fire, which fortunately it does.

That's funny because I had a customer bring one back the other day stating he wanted it repaired. Whats wrong with it I asked? The slide will not lock back. I said so you shoot the gun and when the mag is empty the slide doesn't stay locked open? He said no, I've never shot it but it won't lock back. He hands me the gun no mag. I lock it back in half a second. He gets wide eyes and an open mouth, how the hell did you do that? I then put the mag in and racked it to lock. Again, how are you doing that.

Had to give him a lesson..... which the counter person who sold the gun obviously didn't do.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1345 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must be the odd duck because my Shield 9mm feels way more solid then the G43 or Ruger. The trigger is good and accuracy is dead nuts on. My LGS can barely keep the Shield in stock.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
You can't give away a PPS around here. The 43 and Shield are about neck in neck. Walther is not a huge seller in any form. There is a PPQ that has been there close to a year, and no one is interested.

Back on topic, I heard from a good source that when the launch of the 2.0 came out, there would be a G19 sized gun introduced. So much for that. With the slump in the market right now, I don't know when they will launch the 2.0 Shield.

Oh.....the 2.0 4.25. FRICKIN AWESOME!!!!!!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post