SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Slide Refinish Advice?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slide Refinish Advice? Login/Join 
posted
Bought a third gen smith online. Not really happy with the condition upon its arrival, but I can't get the seller to respond. Chalk it up to never doing business with them again and I now have a gun that needs to have the slide refinished (my assessment, others may not agree).

Anyway, I am curious what the forum recommends for slide finish. I would like something more durable than cera-kote, so... Would Coyotekiller or CCR be who I'm looking for or would something like ion-bond be a better option. Just want a basic black with corrosion resistance.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
CCR would be my recommendation.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robar would be another viable option.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aguilar64
posted Hide Post
CCR, nice people, great job, affordable prices.

“When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice.”
― Ted Nugent

Posts: 2206 | Location: North East | Registered: November 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
My experience with CCR has been excellent.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recommend CCR as well. Long wait sometimes, but stellar work.

Posts: 27 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: October 20, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As most 3rd gen S&Ws have stainless steel slides, you might consider just a simple bead blasting and go from there.

Posts: 117 | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent experiences with ROBAR and CCR.

CCR is an active, contributing member here at SIGforum.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I had my P230 slide done by CCR (lots of finish wear on it when I bought it). Looks better than new now...just amazing work.

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ccr refinishing, excellent jobs for me. Better call Mary ASAP. Ask if they have any specials or upcoming specials. Very good folks.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I’ve used all of those mentioned so far and have been very pleased with Robar. Also Birdsong Black-T has been fantastic.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Bought a third gen smith online. Not really happy with the condition upon its arrival, but I can't get the seller to respond. Chalk it up to never doing business with them again and I now have a gun that needs to have the slide refinished (my assessment, others may not agree).

Anyway, I am curious what the forum recommends for slide finish. I would like something more durable than cera-kote, so... Would Coyotekiller or CCR be who I'm looking for or would something like ion-bond be a better option. Just want a basic black with corrosion resistance.

CoyoteKiller and CCR offer great finishes, but my personal preference would be Ion Bond DLC (black).

Club Custom Guns, Denton , NC offers this process at the best prices , I have had several slides done by them (they are the middleman), normally a bare slide will cost around $100 for Ion Bond in matte or satin, not sure what the polished option would run.

I had my Walther PPS slide and barrel treated with Ion Bond 2 years ago, with daily carry in various holsters and usage , looks like it was just treated.

http://www.clubcustomguns.com

Club Custom Guns Ion Bond price list:
http://www.jabuie.com/_fileCab..._Price_list_2017.pdf

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
CCR. Brad and Mary have served the Forum well for years.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
The thing about refinishing is that like most things there are a number of folks/shops that do it well. CCR has done it well for a long time right here on the forum. Hard to beat that.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Another vote for CCR.

They really did a good job on my police trade in P226.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had my P230 slide done by CCR (lots of finish wear on it when I bought it). Looks better than new now...just amazing work.

Please tell me that's their CPII Dusk.

I have a P229 slide, and a CZ75 Compact @ CCR now to get refinished in CPII Dusk. If either look anywhere near that fantastic when they return, then I'll be blown away.

Posts: 27 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: October 20, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had coyotekiller do a few slides for me and they look amazing. His turn around time is pretty quick as well.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruquikr:
quote:

Please tell me that's their CPII Dusk.

I have a P229 slide, and a CZ75 Compact @ CCR now to get refinished in CPII Dusk. If either look anywhere near that fantastic when they return, then I'll be blown away.

Sure looks like it. They’ve done a pair of Px4’s For me in CPII Dusk and it looks fantastic.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
CCR would be my recommendation.

Yup. In my experience great results and fast turn around time.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7503 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna clean up the slide to a shootable condition and then function test it before making any decisions on coatings.

Does ccr have a color chart with pics online somewhere? I'm kinda leaning toward the cera-hide right now, but didn't see a list of available colors in my cursory exam of their web page.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post