SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question re S&W Model 19 vs. Model 65
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question re S&W Model 19 vs. Model 65 Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tcallre:
Send your M65 off for a trigger job to bring out the best of it.
Where? Who does good work with decent turnaround time?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I'm in Clearwater. If your willing to sit around and watch (or go to the beach) I can do a K-frame trigger job in a couple of hours.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWALLY:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
I'm in Clearwater. If your willing to sit around and watch (or go to the beach) I can do a K-frame trigger job in a couple of hours.
Really?

That would be fantastic! My schedule is jammed this coming week, but Let's try to do this ASAP! I'll be in touch. Lunch is on me, for sure.

I don't know whether you remember, but we met several years ago. It was a local SIGforum group shoot, hosted by ArtieS. The purpose was for everyone to bring a variety of guns so Mrs. Horse could try a bunch of different ones and pick a carry gun for herself. If I recall correctly, she decided on an M&P, but my memory might not be correct.

After the shooting session, we all went to NYPD Pizza for lunch; you sat next to me and we chatted a bit.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I bought a few older S&W revolvers, 586,65,37, & another few. Since they were older, with unknown history, I took the side plates off when I was so inclined.

I've seen the innards gunked up or dry as a bone. There are U-Tube videos on 'tapping' the side plate off. I mostly then left the insides intact & used a spray scrubber then lube inside. Beware, a part could come loose inside if not careful with the tap job.

I'm not saying this could cure any trigger issues. I just think after 30+ years the side plate should come off for cleaning & lube.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Well I did not learn from Youtube. I first started to learn at the feet of Master pistolsmith Austin Behlert at about age 12 or so. After we visited his shop many times and got to know him better,my sister, older than I, would drop me off at his shop for several hours while she went shopping. I was fasinated as he did "Smith" trigger jobs and worked on Colt 1911's.He showed me how to correctly use stones and clip springs. I did this several times until I was old enough to drive, then I visited on my own. I learned a thing or two. And I guess it started a spark in me. Funny, years later our own Bruce Gray worked for Behlert Custom. And Bruce and I had a laugh about that last time we spoke.

V-Tail; Yes I remember you well, and it was great pizza! I brought and shot a NIB P220 in .30 Luger. (much to several members horror Roll Eyes) I later sold that pistol to Tom at Top Gun Supply. We should try to plan another shoot for in the fall.I have been to three total and they have all been fun.

Yes, about two weeks from now will be fine. I am glad to help you out. Shoot me an email (in profile)and we will exchange phone #'s.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
To answer two similar email questions. First,I only use FULL POWER springs when doing a S&W action job. I replace both springs because you never know if a gunplumber monkeyed with it. Even if it is a target grade K38 you never know if someone might use it in an emergency some day. 100% reliability is of utmost importance.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWALLY:
Well I did not learn from Youtube. I first started to learn at the feet of Master pistolsmith Austin Behlert at about age 12 or so. After we visited his shop many times and got to know him better,my sister, older than I, would drop me off at his shop for several hours while she went shopping. I was fasinated as he did "Smith" trigger jobs and worked on Colt 1911's.He showed me how to correctly use stones and clip springs. I did this several times until I was old enough to drive, then I visited on my own. I learned a thing or two. And I guess it started a spark in me. Funny, years later our own Bruce Gray worked for Behlert Custom. And Bruce and I had a laugh about that last time we spoke.

V-Tail; Yes I remember you well, and it was great pizza! I brought and shot a NIB P220 in .30 Luger. (much to several members horror Roll Eyes) I later sold that pistol to Tom at Top Gun Supply. We should try to plan another shoot for in the fall.I have been to three total and they have all been fun.

Yes, about two weeks from now will be fine. I am glad to help you out. Shoot me an email (in profile)and we will exchange phone #'s.
You have mail.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
As many others have said here, there is no mechanical difference between the two. I have enough fixed sight K-frame Smiths to equip a small town PD. The best trigger of the several I have belongs to a 64-1 .38 that I bought from a local PD retiree who was downsizing for a move.
Someone did a fabulous trigger job on it and the retired officer took the time to keep the stainless frame and cylinder polished. It came with Pachmayr Grippers and I am now looking for a set of Magna PC stocks and a silver finished Tyler-T-Grip to replicate the S&W I was issued in the '80s when I started LE. I would have no problems carrying this gun for work if necessary.

Posts: 332 | Location: Capital of the Confederacy | Registered: January 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post