SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SP5 owners, step on it
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SP5 owners, step on it Login/Join 
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indreams84:
"There has never been a HK pistol that's better than a Glock or a SIG"

Absolutely false and non factual. Look up Mark 23 and get back to me regarding bullet-proof and indestructible.

The Mark 23 was a JOKE!!! Seriously, that big clunky POS. It's a collectors item because nobody bought them so they are rare.

What can a Mark 23 do that a suppressed (anything else really) can't do?

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark23 may or may not be the end all of pistols. But we are in a thread about SP5's. So why are you discussing Mark23? In any case the HK pistol that outshines Glock or Sig is probably the P30. Better everything, ergo's, reliability etc. etc. But who cares. Open a new thread with your brand concerns and issues...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
quote:
Originally posted by indreams84:
"There has never been a HK pistol that's better than a Glock or a SIG"

Absolutely false and non factual. Look up Mark 23 and get back to me regarding bullet-proof and indestructible.

The Mark 23 was a JOKE!!! Seriously, that big clunky POS. It's a collectors item because nobody bought them so they are rare.

What can a Mark 23 do that a suppressed (anything else really) can't do?

To call a MK23 a POS is utter nonsense. It demonstrates a clear ignorance of the pistol.

What can it do that anything else can’t?

Survive 30,000 rounds of +P+ ammo and shoot with accuracy comparable to the best target grade custom 1911 ever made AND is utterly reliable with a range of hollow point ammo including .45 Super without any modification. It’s chrome lined CHF polygonal barrel will be driving tacks when a custom 1911 is on its 3rd or 4th rebuild. It was specifically designed as a suppressed pistol and in that regard it’s peerless.

Name any other pistol... The MK23 will equal or best it’s accuracy.

Name any other pistol... The MK23 will be the superior suppressor host.

Name any other pistol... The MK23 will most certainly be FAR more durable.

Name any other pistol... The MK23 will offer a FAR longer service life.

Name any other pistol... The MK23 will equal or surpass its reliability.

In short, MK23s will be running when everything else has long since shit the bed... Dead.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
My Mark 23 doesn’t like smack talk against her, but she has thick skin and knows she’s got the goods. She feels sorry for those who think otherwise.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I bought the Omega clone from Atlantic vs. getting the SP5 for 3 reasons.

1) saved over 1k in price.

2) the Omega is 922r compliant, should I decide to SBR

3) HK dicked US buyers so much, I refuse to support that.

I carried the MP5n as a Marine Security Guard, and fell in love with the platform. But HKs refusal to sell the civilian models despite the overwhelming demand until recent, and the clones have improved by then.

The SP5 is great, and totally worth it (if that's what you want). But if you just want a shooter that "looks like John McLain used in Die Hard" a clone will save you some money if you shop around.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's still a part of me that would like to have a SP5. But after shooting a customer SP5K next to a B&T and then my MPX, I came away not seeing myself springing for one, at least with what's remaining in this lifetime. I like my MPX better and was thoroughly blown away by the B&T. If I were to hit some financial jackpot, and I get out of WA...maybe so. But without those two factors, the HK just doesn't fan any fire within me, and that's despite the fact that I can "cheat" and pick one up cheap, relatively speaking.

As for the off-topic Mk23...totally too big for my small paws, but that one is so freakin' awesome. FINALLY had one come into the shop earlier this year; only took HKUSA a year to fill that order. DA is near unusable for my stubby fingers but damn I want one anyways. The perfect Big Bro to my USPs. Someday, after I retire and move out of this blasted state...

- MG

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the responses.

The MPX just does not have the panache of the MP5 and just never could for me.

I think I am going to have to pick one up soon.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:
I am curious to hear from owners. Is it really worth the price of entry? I have loved the MP5 since I watched Diehard as a kid, but man, thats a price tag.

Worth it once the nostalgia wears off?

I went with a PTR 9kT after looking at the SP5k $3600 at a local shop, and then the zenith $1700 at the same gunshow as a PTR 9kt.

I paid 1495 for the PTR9kt. Though I ordered mine, the PTR 9kt i saw at the gun show was the same 1700. This is late 2018/early 2019.

I am quite happy with my PTR. I have swapped out for the 80* locking bolt, Sbr'd it, and replaced the ejector.

It is a fantastic gun to shoot.

Size comparison 9kt vs MPX

If you can find a sp5 or sp5k for 2700, do it. Everything I saw at the time I was looking was just under 4k for the sp4k

And for all you fan boys.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I went with a PTR 9kT after looking at the SP5k $3600 at a local shop, and then the zenith $1700 at the same gunshow as a PTR 9kt.
. Still not the real deal never will be. They sell the Sp5 at LGS here for 2699. The disappointment of a clone will be there long after the cheap price is forgotten. The excitement of the real deal HK will be there long after sting of the higher price is forgotten. Buy once cry once.

Posts: 21 | Registered: March 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not an MP5 addict. I bought an sp5 on a whim and started using it at local matches. After a bit of stuffing it around barricades and generally abusing it, that seemed rude for something so nice so I bought a PTR as a 'junker'. Other than the finish differences which are obvious the PTR has been mint. No disappointment and in a couple of areas its better. In any case if you can find a 2699 sp5 I would buy it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Two Shanks:
quote:
. Still not the real deal never will be. They sell the Sp5 at LGS here for 2699. The disappointment of a clone will be there long after the cheap price is forgotten. The excitement of the real deal HK will be there long after sting of the higher price is forgotten. Buy once cry once.

Well smarty pants, that wasn't an option when I was looking to buy. Did you look at my photos? The SP5k did not have several key features I wanted. The paddle mag release for 1, for two it does not have a threaded barrel or tri lug mount. To add the paddle mag release was between 60 to 200 depending on the kit. To ad the barrel was a minimum of 700 plus the shop time to do it. So maybe, just fucking maybe. I knew what i was buying. DOES it fucking look like I have a problem buying exactly what I want?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy Your clone.

Posts: 21 | Registered: March 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been waiting since late last year for my LGS to get one in, but they haven’t been able to since they aren’t a stocking dealer. Finally decided to pick one up off GB since it didn’t seem they were going to get any cheaper, plus not knowing how the COVID was going to affect production, and the uncertainty of the election later in the year. Figured better to buy now than cry later. Paid MSRP of 2799, but no CC fee, free shipping, and no sales tax, so not horrible.

I already have a SBR’d Z-5RS, so I likely won’t SBR the SP5. Don’t want to slap a bunch of US parts on a factory German gun, plus it’s currently difficult to find some of the compliance parts since it uses an ambi instead of SEF lower. Probably just reuse the SB brace that originally came with my Zenith and keep it a pistol. Mainly got it for my HK collection.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I’ve been waiting since late last year for my LGS to get one in, but they haven’t been able to since they aren’t a stocking dealer. Finally decided to pick one up off GB since it didn’t seem they were going to get any cheaper, plus not knowing how the COVID was going to affect production, and the uncertainty of the election later in the year. Figured better to buy now than cry later. Paid MSRP of 2799, but no CC fee, free shipping, and no sales tax, so not horrible.

I already have a SBR’d Z-5RS, so I likely won’t SBR the SP5. Don’t want to slap a bunch of US parts on a factory German gun, plus it’s currently difficult to find some of the compliance parts since it uses an ambi instead of SEF lower. Probably just reuse the SB brace that originally came with my Zenith and keep it a pistol. Mainly got it for my HK collection.

Let me know how it goes. If HK had put the paddle mag release on the sp5k and a threaded/trilug barrel from the factory I would own one.

quote:
Two Shanks
posted April 23, 2020 07:19 PM Hide Post
Enjoy Your clone.

I have, I will. Enjoy being a snob.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Congrats on your new SP5!! I will be interested in hearing how you like/compare it to your SBR Z5RS. I fell sure that you will HAVE to take it to the range and enjoy your new piece. Enjoy!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could SP5 owners please confirm which side folding brace fits without modification? I saw SB Tactical’s UMP looking side folded, but it specifies it is for a SP5k.

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Part Number: SBT5A-01-SB is I think the one you want. You want one that fits an MP5 and not a UMP.
Having said that I didn't particularly like the SB one and went with a Spuhr m4 adapter and an SB M4 brace. no it doesn't fold (it could with another part) but the height works way better with an optic.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creeping_Death:
Could SP5 owners please confirm which side folding brace fits without modification? I saw SB Tactical’s UMP looking side folded, but it specifies it is for a SP5k.

You don’t want to use the one for the 5K. The brace part is the same, but the interface for a stock/brace with the rear of the receiver is quite different between the standard MP5 receivers and the K receivers.

You need the SBT5A, not the SBT5KA. The new HKPDW also works, but needs a small modification to fit because of the auto carrier block installed in the receiver.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:

Congrats on your new SP5!! I will be interested in hearing how you like/compare it to your SBR Z5RS. I fell sure that you will HAVE to take it to the range and enjoy your new piece. Enjoy!!

Picked mine up today from LGS. I think the finish is better than on the Z-5RS. Fortunately, the brace I had left over from the Zenith fit without issue. Only negative compared to the Zenith is they reused the notched 5K rear sight drum instead of the proper diopter drum, but that’s an easy, and relatively cheap, fix.

posted Hide Post
PCC’s are my thing. I have an HK SP5K SBR, an HK USC/UMP clone, a Gen 1 MPX SBR, a Gen 2 MPX K Braced pistol, a 9mm Tavor X95, a B&T TP9 SBR and a 9MM Angstadt lower with a Banshee X300 upper. Here’s how I rank them:

1) SP5K. Hands down the best shooter of them all, and my favorite gun ever. It doesn’t have a last round hold open but that’s the only downside. I would use this as my home defense gun except that as I have it set up there is no way to mount a light.

2). USC/UMP clone. This is my home defense gun. It is utterly and completely reliable. Mags are expensive and tough to find but I have several from years ago and they are built to last.

3). 9mm Tavor. Again, this gun is utterly and completely reliable. On mine the trigger bar and pack are upgraded to Geissele so the trigger is great and the mags are cheap. The overall length is about the same as my SBR’s but it is much heavier. Still, all in all its an outstanding gun.

4)B&T TP9 SBR. This is a really cool gun that I wish I could love more but the trigger is bad and there is no aftermarket support for this. Still its cool to be able slap a holster on my hip and carry an SBR on my belt. I do have the ROTEX suppressor for this gun but I haven’t been able to try it out yet because my local ranges are closed. I haven’t had a chance to work with this gun much but it is finicky with HP ammo which keeps me from using it as my primary home defense gun.

5) MPX Gen 1. This gun had several teething problems including the fact that Sig sent it out from the factory without a trigger. To their credit they fixed this. After awhile I started getting double fires so I replaced the trigger with a hyperfire so it has a nice trigger and uses the cheap and reliable Gen 1 mags. The downside is that I cannot run it suppressed. It shoots all over the place when I throw a suppressor on it.

6). Gen 2 MPX K. This gun runs fine as long as I use Gen 2 mags. I haven’t tried suppressing it yet and may not because I’d need to replace the flash suppressor and based on my experience with my Gen 1 I may not bother trying.

7). AR9. I guess there’s nothing wrong with this gun, it just doesn’t do anything better than my other guns. It seldom gets shot.

I have a TPM Outfitters MP5SD clone ordered that hopefully I’ll get in the next couple of months and I will buy an SP5 once I find one for an amount I’m willing to pay. The MP5 platform is my absolute favorite platform around.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post