SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SP5 owners, step on it
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SP5 owners, step on it Login/Join 
posted
I am curious to hear from owners. Is it really worth the price of entry? I have loved the MP5 since I watched Diehard as a kid, but man, thats a price tag.

Worth it once the nostalgia wears off?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
considering Zenith clones are going for as much, yes, worth it. I wouldn't overpay though...

Posts: 3072 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its an HK. I think the only way to feel bad about getting one is like PGT says you pay too much and then find out after this mess you could get one for way less. As for the gun, its pretty much mint in terms of construction and layout. It has all the normal MP5 faults like hard to mount an optic, poor but not terrible trigger that's hard to fix, expensive mags, PIA to reload. But all that aside its incredibly soft shooting and accurate. If the price is too steep there are plenty of clones. I also have a PTR and its pretty decent.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10986 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got mine because I'm a child of the '80's. I SBR'd it (stamp back in 29 days) and have been having a blast since. I don't look at it as a work gun, but as a fun toy. It's an exercise in nostalgia that I could afford.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I never owned an SP5, but I spent a week fondling and firing one, along with an 8" SIG Gen 2 MPX. Probably put 500+ rounds through each.

I ended up buying the SIG. Nothing against either once you settle in with them, I just felt the SIG was more suitable for me because of the "AR like" manual of arms.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6207 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any of the modern stuff designed to knock off the MP5 is better purely as a gun. MPX, B&T, CZ, etc. If you can study the HK since the 1960's you would be pretty pathetic as a designer if you couldn't at least make a few improvements.

posted Hide Post
Yes, Yes, and Yes. Mine was part of the 1st batch over before Xmas last year and I could not be happier. Literally a grail gun realized. The quality and attention to detail is 1st rate and in terms of value, $700 more is not much for a bullet-proof tack driver (Mine was $2499 new). Good luck to anyone who gets a CZ, Sig, or Clone on getting their return if/when it comes time to sell- never an issue with HKs.

Posts: 93 | Location: Gulf Coast, FL | Registered: September 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clone on getting their return if/when it comes time to sell-

I'll happily agree that HK is probably the winner in the keep value sweepstakes. But it really depends on what you pay in this current environment. And many of the clones do fine, have you checked the price of a used Zenith lately.

posted Hide Post
Seriously Get the HK. Anything else is a wannabe. Besides down the road if You do want to move it It's the real deal HK.

Posts: 21 | Registered: March 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I'd say they are easily worth the MSRP. Cudos to those who are able to get one for less. Personally I love them. Don't have one yet, but plan to. I don't think you can go wrong with the SP5. Not everything newer is actually superior. A lot of the newer guns are direct blow back without a locking or delayed action. For that reason I think the HK SP5 is a better choice IMO. Yeah, people will gripe about outdated egos, etc. In the end I think few are built as well or are likely to last as long as the venerable civilian version of the MP5. Certainly, few are likely to appreciate over time like the SP5 will.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
Clone on getting their return if/when it comes time to sell-

I'll happily agree that HK is probably the winner in the keep value sweepstakes. But it really depends on what you pay in this current environment. And many of the clones do fine, have you checked the price of a used Zenith lately.

A clone definitely has a place, especially if you're a sear owner (I hope to be soon) however most clones including Zeniths have a continuous problem of QC issues, even down to fit and finish I constantly read about on HKPro, which is my main gun site I am on. I cannot tell you how many guys post about sending back their PTRs/Zeniths/AA/Etc. to the mfgr or distributor for issues a $1500+ gun should never have.

I have owned almost 10 HKs, including 4 SP5K/SP5/HK94 roller locks and have NEVER had an issue of ANY sort- in cycling, welds, finish, anything. I expect and get the best from HK everytime. I also pay for it as well haha.

Posts: 93 | Location: Gulf Coast, FL | Registered: September 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm absolutely agree HK is a cut above in the quality sweepstakes. But I don't like to beat up my real HK's too much so I own some clones. MP5's are a simple gun with simple problems, normally easily fixed. When you look at the price difference you have a lot of room to fix things if in fact the mfg. won't do it for you. If I'm beating the crap out if it the finish issue is pretty low on my list. Both PTR and Zenith have been very consistently good to me, but of course I own only a couple samples of each.

posted Hide Post
If the OP can afford to own an SP5, then do it!!!! You will not regret it, and it will not only perform well, but hold it's value. They are a great piece.

I bought my Z5RS before HK started selling/shipping SP5.......had I known, I would likely have held off and purchased the SP5. I am a shooter, and not a collector, and I run a lot of ammo through my guns. I have ZERO complaints about my Z5RS, or my BW5FS(finally got it 100% reliable). One needs a SP5.......well, just because!!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted an HK and with the SP5, I might be able to get one, one day. I have had a couple clones in the past and they were always sub-par. Before I knew any better about brands and before I really went on gun forums, I bought a Vulcan-HK wanna be. It was a straight blow back design and wasn't too bad with functioning but it wasn't an HK. It actually ran well and I had only a couple issues with feeding but it got better. Of course after I bought it, I heard of all the horror stories associated with the brand. I eventually traded it for something else as it didn't fit the bill, so to speak, as it was not the real deal.

A friend of mine has a few of the real deal HK carbines and pistols. After holding them, there is no substitute. You can tell the quality by just holding it.

Posts: 6862 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:
I am curious to hear from owners. Is it really worth the price of entry? I have loved the MP5 since I watched Diehard as a kid, but man, thats a price tag.

Worth it once the nostalgia wears off?

No, it's definitely NOT worth the entry price. There are much better options for a lot less money. The MPX is 10 times the gun the MP5 or SP5 is and it's almost a grand less.

There are enough people willing to spend the money that HK can stay in business as basically a Boutique Brand at this point but I will never buy a new HK unless they change their pricing practices.

HK does NOT make a better gun than anyone else. They have better QC possibly. There is good German engineering in making the design work but not in the initial design to begin with. The Germans have been good at that for a long time, taking a stupid design and figuring out how to make it work and then having tight enough tolerances and QC to make a reliable product.

There has never been a HK pistol that's better than a Glock or a SIG. The delayed roller locking system is just odd. Don't get me wrong, the first firearm I ever bought for myself was a HK91. I do like them but they are way too expensive for what they are.

If the SP5 sold for $1500. Then yeah, get it for the cool factor. But $2500???

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"There has never been a HK pistol that's better than a Glock or a SIG"

Absolutely false and non factual. Look up Mark 23 and get back to me regarding bullet-proof and indestructible.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indreams84:
"There has never been a HK pistol that's better than a Glock or a SIG"

Absolutely false and non factual. Look up Mark 23 and get back to me regarding bullet-proof and indestructible.

Add in 'actually useful' and the MK23 goes out the window... I mean it looks cool in video games but that is about the extent of it's actual utility, coming from friends who had access to it - they spent most of their lives in the arms room.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, it's definitely NOT worth the entry price.

That's just a silly and obviously biased statement. The SP5 may not be worth the MSRP of $2799 to YOU, but they routinely sell for well above MSRP on the open market.

quote:
There are much better options for a lot less money. The MPX is 10 times the gun the MP5 or SP5 is and it's almost a grand less.

This is another obviously biased and just plain goofy statement. SIG's spotty quality control and their history of outright abandoning certain designs, leaving their owners high and dry is well known.

Conversely, the MP5 continues in service today largely unchanged from the original design. The SP5 lineage has a far better history than any silly half-assed SIG Sauer product of modern day.

quote:
There are enough people willing to spend the money that HK can stay in business as basically a Boutique Brand at this point but I will never buy a new HK unless they change their pricing practices.

The truth reveals itself... Obviously you don't appreciate the extra Quality Control HK products are famous for. Like some in this forum, and in the general gun buying public, it's pretty clear you opt for the cheaper alternative whenever possible. However, there are a few of us who can appreciate quality and are willing to pay for it. I personally find it quite amusing that some among us consider $2799 to be 'expensive'. Obviously, you've never priced high grade shotguns like Perazzi, Blaser or rifles from Mauser, Dakota, etc.

quote:
HK does NOT make a better gun than anyone else. They have better QC possibly. There is good German engineering in making the design work but not in the initial design to begin with. The Germans have been good at that for a long time, taking a stupid design and figuring out how to make it work and then having tight enough tolerances and QC to make a reliable product.

Actually, QC is generally the key factor that distinguishes one manufacturer from another. There are 1911s from Ruger, Remington & Taurus. Then again, there are also Wilson, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, etc. The overall designs are the same but their execution and QC are what essentially set them apart.

Again, there are those among us who would be incapable of distinguishing between the lower and upper tier makers. I get the idea that you just might be one of those people.

quote:
There has never been a HK pistol that's better than a Glock or a SIG. The delayed roller locking system is just odd. Don't get me wrong, the first firearm I ever bought for myself was a HK91. I do like them but they are way too expensive for what they are.

Again, the market largely determines the going rate for a product. While it's true that HK (like many German companies) love to take a concept and apply a certain Rube Goldberg engineering approach. The P9S and P7 are clear examples.

However, with respect to the roller delayed system, it's a proven action that has been in service for decades. The fact that they are in current service worldwide today speaks volumes for HK's ability to produce a consistent and reliable product in volume to a world market.

quote:
If the SP5 sold for $1500. Then yeah, get it for the cool factor. But $2500???

Once again, you are arbitrarily assigning a value to a given product based on your own personal bias and potentially limited resources. The SP5 MSRP is actually $2799 and dealers are having a hard time meeting the demand at that price. Only recently have prices stabilized on the open market to roughly $3000. One thing is for certain. The future market value will increase. The same cannot be said for any new product of the month from SIG.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The MPX is 10 times the gun the MP5 or SP5 is

OK as the owner of both that's just idiotic on the surface. Sure the MPX is a better gun, that was the point of the design and they had almost 50 years to study the damn MP5. But that's not actually relevant. Is it worth the price of entry was the original OP, not is there a better 9mm subgun. And its worth the price of entry FWIW. Of course a few years from now when you and I can't get a new part from SIG for the MPX (it has already started by the way!) but there are plenty of MP5 parts you will understand why relying on sig is a really, really bad idea.

posted Hide Post
I recently pick up an SP5, for a long time I fondle a few clones but once I held the original I don't regret my decision one bit. Its is super smooth and you can put rounds on top of rounds, there are some other platforms that are more practical and cheaper but HK MP5/SP5 there will only one.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post