SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Another score of a unicorn...Walther P88 Compact
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another score of a unicorn...Walther P88 Compact Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted
A friend linked me to a somewhat local guy selling this on the trader forums in our area. I sent a note to the seller and we ended up meeting last week. The gun is 99% and came with two OEM mags and the original manual. Given mags run $100+, I might grab a Pro-mag or two to see if they work (not hopeful but worth a shot).

Nill-Griffe makes excellent walnut grips for these but 6-8 weeks and nearly $200 to get them. KSD Grips in Turkey makes a set for far less so I figured I'd give them a go first. Fit was excellent, save two major details; they forgot to mill out the area for the hammer pin and one grip screw hole was slightly off from where it should be (which I'm used to from KSD). A little work with a Dremel, a milling bit and oil on the hammer pin to highlight the interference and they came out nicely.

Imgur album with additional pics (inc roll stamps for those who dig looking at them) https://imgur.com/a/3UCdvZO

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
BRAVO!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice score, she's a beauty.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Congrats!
There was a time when I was into Walther. Sold all of them, and only the P88 Compact is left. I need to send it to Earl so that he can install the missing slide catch lever spring. It is currently a single shot semi-auto. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Those are indeed hard to come by. Mind sharing what the seller was asking for it?

Congrats on a great find.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
Congratulations

My favorite Walther

P99 magazines work. You just need flat base plates.

Posts: 609 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
P99 mags, eh? Interesting.

It was priced fairly enough, I gave the seller what he asked and didn't negotiate. Three figures (below GB value)

posted Hide Post
Very nice with the KSD grips. Unfortunately I had the same experience with their grips for a S&W 459.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet pistol. I saw one a couple of years ago at an LGS, it was pristine, they wanted $1300 IIRC.

Nice bit of info on the P99 magazines. Let us know where you get flat base plates from.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Sweet! Nice score.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
That’s gorgeous

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
All you need now is a P5C

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
All you need now is a P5C

Then, the P88 Competition.
Then, the P88 Champion.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLD_COP:
Very nice with the KSD grips. Unfortunately I had the same experience with their grips for a S&W 459.

KSD grips are shit, as far as I'm concerned. Time and again, you hear about screw ups in their manufacturing. I had problems with them, too. All 4 sets I ordered at the same time, and the first time, required the dremel tool. Never again. Mad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

posted Hide Post
Beautiful pistol, congrats!

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
There are both a P88 Competition and unfired P88 on GB (currently bidding on this one....somenone PLEASE outbid me LOL). There's also a P5C. I own a sweet CCR modified P5 already.

I'm with Q...slippery slope. Add in two PP's, I think I'm good.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Oh, nice. Congrats! I didn't even know this pistol existed until this thread, talk about a unicorn. Enjoy, sir. Big Grin

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've got one of those, serial number 103915, proofed 1995. Notice how the bevel on the slide flats differ between the two pistols pictured above.
PGT's pistol has the straight bevel, which was inherited from the full-size P88. According to my research, the bevel was angled beginning around serial number 101000 (serial production began at 100001)

The pistol in 12131's has a serial number very close to mine, and was delivered to Interarms probably in the same lot shipment.

Total serial production of 7367 pistols.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
KSD grips are shit, as far as I'm concerned

I've had to dremel more than a few sets of Nill-Griffe, too. They're closer to drop-in fit though, but I don't think any manufacturer can account for all production changes over the years. I've had screw-ups from Hogue that I ended up having to deal with (for a P226 no less)

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lechiffre:

P99 magazines work.

Actually, they do not. I ordered one from Brownells to try and it won't insert. Mic'ing it vs. the P88C mag and its. 0.5mm wider