SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Another score of a unicorn...Walther P88 Compact
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another score of a unicorn...Walther P88 Compact Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Holy crap! The NIB P88 that you were bidding on sold for over $4k. Eek

Q

Posts: 26324 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really nice score!

Perhaps CZ99/TZ99 mags would work. They're actually more copies of the Walther than SIG, contrary to popular belief.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

right?? Thankfully someone had deeper pockets because I found a 99% P88 for $1299 the next morning. Its now on its way to me since I got outbid (I was out at $1900)

Posts: 3078 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Got one of those, too. Proofed 1991. Late production, serial number over 010000 (serial production began at 001001).

Total serial production of 9894 pistols.

I paid a thousand for mine in the Fall of 2000. ANIB w/all

At the time- with the AWB in effect- you could have never convinced me that those were golden days for buying firearms, because the internet was in its infancy, which caused availability to increase dramatically, but the online crowd was smaller than it is today. I found some tremendous deals on Walthers, SIGs and Berettas.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
quote:
Originally posted by lechiffre:

P99 magazines work.

Actually, they do not. I ordered one from Brownells to try and it won't insert. Mic'ing it vs. the P88C mag and its. 0.5mm wider

I used them in mine.

The P99 magazine has changed over years however. I was told that the current ones still work, it seems that was incorrect.

If you can find the older (flat side), or S&W SW99 magazines the magazine bodies are identical to the P88c other than the feed lips being slightly shorter.

The P88 magazines were copied directly from the Beretta 92. In fact the magazines used for prototype P88s were beretta magazines with a notch cut for the Walther release. The P88c magazines were shortened P88 mags. That shortened magazine was the basis for the one used in the P99.

Sorry about the bum steer.

Posts: 610 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

right?? Thankfully someone had deeper pockets because I found a 99% P88 for $1299 the next morning. Its now on its way to me since I got outbid (I was out at $1900)

Just about 4 - 5 years ago, these were ~ $1600-1700 NIB/NOS, and they were having a hard time moving. Personally, I find the P88 the least favorite of the classic Walthers. Always dreamed to have one, because of all the wonder nine hype. Then when I got it, it was the most un-ergonomic and blocky pistol to hold, ever.

Q

Posts: 26324 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
My experience with the regular,not Compact, P88 mirrors Q's. Though I'd never handled one, I bought a new P88 years ago, due to a particular magazine writer's enthusiasm about them. When I got it I experienced the un-ergonomic blockiness Q refers to. Really nicely fitted and finished pistol, but knew it would never fit me, and ended up selling it without ever having fired a shot through it. I was never tempted to buy another P88, but it is my understanding that ergonomics of the Compact model are much improved over the standard P88. Never had the opportunity to handle the Compact version. Probably a good thing, or else I might be out there bidding crazy money for oneWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my P88C in 1995 NIB for $800 (probably not much less than what I brought home in a month at the time as a corrections officer). I remember my excitement in seeing the ad in Shotgun News for a dealer that actually had them in stock. I replaced the 10rd magazines from a source in Germany for around $30 each. I bought a nice LNIB P88 in 2008 for $900 but found (like others) that it didn't really compare favorably with the compact model from an ergonomic standpoint. I still have both pistols.

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I bought my P88C from Doc Avery, probably late 1998 / early 1999 and paid 750, believe it or not.

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Beautiful piece!

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Picked up the P88 yesterday and also got some grips for it from Grips4U. Yeah...took quite a bit of work to get them to fit while allowing the combination decocker/slide release to function properly. Basically, had to hollow out the inside of the left panel...it was machined to fit but would drag on the lever when the screws were tightened.

Also, confirmed P99 mags DO NOT work. Won't even slide in the gun.

Agree about the blockiness of the gun but they round out a nice small Walther collection (a few PP's and a P5).

Posts: 3078 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post